Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Cord Material for Makau

Pages: 1 1 replies

A

Aloha all. I'm a new member and hopeful that someone out there has the knowledge I need and is willing to share. My wife gave me a Cabanilla Makau for my birthday. It's a beautiful piece I wear every day and it, along with an Internet video from Louie the Fish, inspired me to give bone hook carving a try. I'm still working on getting one I'm happy with, but it's only a hobby for me so I can live with a lot of mistakes the pros couldn't. I'd like to try to lash one of the hooks but I can't figure out what the best material for a cord is. For those of you that make Makau, do you braid your own cord or is there a generally available source for cords that are ready to go? If you braid your own, what material do you find best to use? Also, I've studied the lashing technique in the Louie the Fish video but if there are any other sources for learning proper lashing techniques out there I'd greatly appreciate hearing about them too. Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to being part of this community.

AZpaniolo, welcome to TC. I'm afraid I don't know anything about makau but here's a few suggestions for you;

Try a TikiCentral seach for makau, kaula, olona and/or hau

There was a kaha ki'i who was a "braiding master" but he hasn't posted in over a year, maybe you can send him a private message.

You might try posting your question in the TC carving forum also

Hope that helps :)

Pages: 1 1 replies