Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Need a good source for Tiki/Retro Atomic Fabric for reupholsteing

Pages: 1 20 replies

T

Aloha

I picked up a sweet set of vintage bamboo chairs this past weekend and I need to find a good source for reupholstering them.

I wanna go with this :

http://www.melinamade.com/Fabrics/tikirust.html

BUT...It's $40 a yard on this site....Pretty darn pricey. Anyone know any place in the LA area where I can get this fabric directly and cheaper ?

I'm open to suggestions for other patterns similar to this too.

Thanx

RR

Since you live in LA.

http://fashiondistrict.org

T

On 2008-11-03 16:27, Rob Roy wrote:
Since you live in LA.

http://fashiondistrict.org

Gee...talk about lookin for needle in a haystack :roll:

Any Specific stores in the garment district ?

RR

Half of the fun is the looking.

The other half is blood, sweat, and tears because of all of the walking around.

T

On 2008-11-03 16:38, Rob Roy wrote:
Half of the fun is the looking.

The other half is blood, sweat, and tears because of all of the walking around.

I have to agree to disagree with you.

Going to the Garment district is H E L L for me.

Looking is fun for about an hour (tops)

The Downtown LA experience is just unendurable.

J

Try "Michael Levine." They have two showrooms across the street from each other at 919 and 920 S. Maple (in the fashion district). They have a massive selection of just about every kind of fabric imaginable at amazing prices. If they don't have something close to what you're looking for, they will probably know who does. Their salespeople are very helpful (at least they were the last time I was there about 4 years ago) and can point you in the right direction so you don't have to search their huge showroom blindly.

I'll second JenTiki's advice.

T

Thanx Guys,

I've been to Michael Levine's a few times.....they have alot of great stuff, but I've never seen that pattern in my link, basically because that link is to the manufacturer of that pattern...MelinaMade.

I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and pay the $40 a yard....Kicking and screaming, but that pattern is really great.

I may take a ride down there tho' just to see.

A

We found some sweet stuff at Mood on Pico Blvd. They had some cool vintage looking stuff not shown on the website. ( You might remember them from "Project Runway"...)

http://www.moodfabrics.com/

You could try Warehouse 1333 in Long Beach, at Redondo and Anaheim:

1333 Redondo Ave
Long Beach, CA 90804
(562) 494-1333

Last time I looked, they had a pretty good selection of materials, plus they will do the upholstery for you. Plus they usually have a decent selection of mid-century furniture for sale and the odd Tiki trinket.

J

Another fine resource for tropical print barkcloth (although probably not the pattern Tikiyaki is looking for) is Hula Beach in San Clemente. They have some beautiful fabrics at reasonable prices, in a variety of textures.

A good online source is Barkcloth Hawaii.

J

Another fine resource for tropical print barkcloth (although probably not the pattern Tikiyaki is looking for) is Hula Beach in San Clemente. They have some beautiful fabrics at reasonable prices, in a variety of textures.

A good online source is Barkcloth Hawaii.

There is almost 2 yards of a similar fabric on etsy.

well, I went ahead and splurged. It cost more to reupholster this set that to buy it (which also included the side tables)

I went with the Melinamade "Tiki Rust" fabric and black boxing.

Your selection looks great. For future reference for those that have The Need for custom prints, I found this site, http://www.spoonflower.com/welcome

I haven't submitted any designs yet, so I'm not sure of their print quality. You are limited to only one cotton fabric, but at $18 a yard, very affordable for your own custom fabric print.

Jim solid choice on the fabric! I have the same 3 band love seat but yours seems to have a gap in between. My couch sits flush on the bottom, it looks to me like there is space but maybe im wrong. Ill try to post a picture of mine in comparison.

On 2008-11-18 10:11, Mongoloid wrote:
Jim solid choice on the fabric! I have the same 3 band love seat but yours seems to have a gap in between. My couch sits flush on the bottom, it looks to me like there is space but maybe im wrong. Ill try to post a picture of mine in comparison.

Yo Mongo !

Actually the love seat is 2 separate pieces.

That material looks awesome, Jim! I bought a similar set a couple of months ago (2 piece loveseat plus two chairs), but it came with horrible navy blue paisley print cushions...hopefully it looks that good when I get it re-upholstered!

T

On 2008-11-18 11:04, Jason Wickedly wrote:
That material looks awesome, Jim! I bought a similar set a couple of months ago (2 piece loveseat plus two chairs), but it came with horrible navy blue paisley print cushions...hopefully it looks that good when I get it re-upholstered!

Well...The people that did it for me charged $25 per pillow for the labor, which is CHEEP ! I bought the material from melinamade.com

I have a decent amount of the black canvas I used for the sides. If you want it, it's yours...PM me.

I just wonder who thought paisley was a good idea.

This is my set up. When i bought them they had a yellow plaid print on them that made you nauseous. I have the full size couch too which were made by La Jolla Rattan in the 60s. I actually bought them from a lady in San Diego who had put up a flier by the pool 2 years ago at Tiki Oasis, i swung by on my way home and purchased them. Mine are 2 pieces also (full size couch is 3) but like i was saying mine seem to fit flush on the bottom. I had a guy in Wilmington reupholster both couches for $150 which included new cushions for the full size couch. The love seat has springs built into the cushion which my okole enjoys!

Pages: 1 20 replies