Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

need info/pictures of tiki and poly buildings,bars,ect...that have been demolished

Pages: 1 16 replies

I am doing a visual project for my college rhetoric class,and am looking for some information. I am creating a video/slide show that's message is to preserve the tiki and polynesian style buildings from the mid century.Ive already found some great (yet sad)info and photos on TC (like the Kahiki being demolished) but I am looking for more information. If you could help me out I would be very grateful. What were some of the tiki and poly bars/buildings/restaurants that have been demolished over the years? do you know what modern businesses now stand in the de-tikified location? And if you have any before/ after pictures that would help. thank you for your consideration, ill still be searchin' TC for more info as well. Thanks!

-Thomas

This is a very laudable project and I call on everyone to support it. I wish I had spent more film on showing the destruction of Tiki temples when I set out to praise the glory of Tiki style, but in my quest to define the style I mainly saw and photographed its best side. In retrospect it would have behooved me to document both. But it still can be done, if people go out an photograph what replaced a Tiki building, take for example my before and after photos of the Hanalei/Islands Hotel entrance in Tiki Modern.

Notable losses in the last couple of years: The Kahiki, the Pitcairn Motel, the Playa Del Rey Polynesian Village Apartments, Trader Vic's Chicago (and LA)...there are more, who can think of some --AND supply images of, if not before, than "After"? (A lot of "Before" can be found in the Book of Tiki.)

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-11-04 12:00 ]

C'mon, nobody? No documents of Tiki crimes out there?

This Tiki destruction is from the Aku Aku in Cambridge Mass

This is the Trader Vic's in Vancouver being barged away. The building was moved by barge from its historical site by the Bayshore Inn in downtown Vancouver to its new site in Brentwood Bay. Trader Vics measures some 12 x 44 metres and weighs and estimated 140 tons.

thanks dusty cajun! the aku aku pics are very sad. how tiki has been dishonored and painted over like that is terrible

T

Man, double ouch to those Aku Aku photos. That's painful to see.

Can we send a Tiki Liberation Army out there with a few hundred gallons of mineral spirits and some sandpaper?

What I wanna know is where did the other guy go? You just don't put a Tiki that size in your yard unnoticed, or throw him in the trash!

For further Aku Aku indignity, visit Japsper White's Summer Shack – Cambridge Website. It's their flagship restaurant.

Call them and see if they know what happened to the missing tiki.

Corporate Offices
149 Alewife Brook Parkway
Cambridge, MA 02140
Telephone: (617) 520-9501

comments please address to Jeff Dugan (617) 520-9501 ext 26

or e-mail [email protected]

That Aku Aku Tiki hack job is sad. Like putting a tutu and lipstick on the Sphinx.
.and I agree,where did that other one go? Reminds me of the giant Tiki here in Tucson some jerks tagged with a huge red pentagram and other graffiti (sp).

C

Man the indignity of that poor Aku Aku tiki being transformed into a Captain Ahab beard-wearing fisherman! Thanks, developers, for transforming shutome swordfish into scrod!

N

That Moai sort of reminds me of this site.

http://www.notfoolinganybody.com/

C

What about Tiki Gardens.
They paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

Google search it, you will have lot of images you can use.

ill check it outt

These are from postcards shots I posted from the Royal Hawaiian in Daytona Beach.

This is the post that Tikicar just sent in on that thread.

Hey Dusty, My brother went by and shot a picture of the Royal Hawaiian or what is left of it now. It is a travel lodge. Basically the travel lodge is in the old Marco Polo motel and they use that office and the two hotels next to it they are combined now. My brother says it is a typical nasty old beach front motel now. Here it is now. The old office is now a pizza shop. They added a walkway to join the buildings above the driveway.

More loss and destruction.

DC

[ Edited by: Dustycajun 2008-11-13 18:49 ]

Here is another one I just remembered from a recent post on the lost tiki at the Bali Hai in San Diego. I think this one still has a chance for a happy ending.

On 2008-10-24 20:06, Tiki Shaker wrote:
I went to the Bali Hai today for the first time and I was a bit alarmed by this tiki while I was wandering around the grounds.

Also, Dustycajun posted this pic on another thread, this appears to be what the tiki originally looked like.

DC

thanks DC!

Pages: 1 16 replies