Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Mister Tiki's Mai Tai Lounge

Pages: 1 14 replies

T

My wife and I are heading out to San Diego for the Charger game and will be staying at the Gaslamp dist. I am thinking if we have time I would like to head over to Mister Tiki's Mai Tai Lounge since I've never been there. If anything just for drinks and to take a few pictures. Is it worth my time?

Mahalo,

Tikitatt
myspace.com/velvetpainter

CJ

I enjoyed their drinks and the staff was nice. I'm pretty sure Bosko did a lot of the decor so you should go just for support.

Be sure to check out Bali Hai and Trader Mort's for some Lemon Hart! It's only a few miles from the gaslamp.

Oh yeah! And rescue the tiki on the side of the building at Bali hai!

[ Edited by: Coco Joe 2008-11-07 00:04 ]

I would save it for the end, only after you've checked out the Bali Hai, Humphrey's Half Moon Inn, and Trader Mort's. I was majorly disappointed by the place. The interior, much by Bosko, looks great. Way too many trendy people, indifferent wait staff, overpriced mediocre drinks. The next time I'm in San Diego, I won't be returning. Do yourself a favor and avoid, just order twice as many drinks and pupus at the Bali Hai...

[ Edited by: Matango Derek 2008-11-07 08:16 ]

T

The only place in San Diego I haven't been to is Mister Tiki's Mai Tai Lounge. Thank you for the heads up and look forward to my vacation.

Mahalo,

Tikitatt

P

Yeah, it is worth going to, especially if you have already been to all the other places. It is very "neo-tiki" but that is not necessarily a bad thing. it is trendy rather than traditional with a nice modern twist on tiki kitsch. The food is pretty good, but like most everything else in the Gaslamp is not cheap. The food is asian influenced California style, and there is a sushi bar there. The drinks are not bad but don't expect Tiki Ti or Trader Vic's. They make a pretty good suffering bastard, and that is probably the most traditional cocktail on the menu. The Mai Tai is their own and it's OK but not spectacular. IMHO, I think you will enjoy yourselves there.

F
Fugu posted on Fri, Nov 7, 2008 12:31 PM

Although I prefer classic tiki bar decor, I did really like the neo-tiki style of this place. Like everyone says it is very trendy, but I had a good time. My favorite thing was the glass pufferfish pendant lamps. I thought those were a cool modern twist on a tiki bar classic.

T

I live in San Diego and I like Mister Tiki's. Go for happy hour. They have a nice selection of pu-pu's and drinks at reasonable prices. Right now they're having a 1/2 price Mai Tai special from 5:00pm till close Sun-Thur. Have fun in SD!

Hip-hop, $12 Zombies (crappy ones too) and a bartender that thinks his "S" don't smell; you make the call.

But on a positive note, I will say the neo-tiki decor is awesome and one bartender (with tattoos) made us an off the menu rum drink that kicked a$$.

Enjoy San Diego!

[ Edited by: daves not home 2008-11-07 16:21 ]

T
TikiG posted on Fri, Nov 7, 2008 3:06 PM

Had a small vacation last August in San Diego(post Tiki Oasis) with a girlfriend. We made the rounds to all the SD tiki spots.

We found ourselves at Mister Tiki on a Wednesday late afternoon, right at happy hour. I always order a Mai Tai as my first introduction to a tropical drink bar and this was no different. I believe the happy hour version was called a Mister Mai Tai or something like that, so we order two and wait. And wait. Our freaking drinks were made by the bartender, and then they sat at the bar on a serving plate for what must have been ten minutes..I got pretty pissy real fast and stood up, walked over to the bar and retrieved our drinks. The place was not busy so I don't really know why the breakdown in service. Not good. To make matters worse, the Mai Tai looked like red syrup and served in a hurricane glass. Three strikes. Have to admit I caught a buzz though and had a fun time walking back to the hotel.

The Bali Hai on the other hand is a tiki temple of the highest order.
No need to explain here as it has already been said. Needless to say, when you order a Mai Tai, the waitress apologizes in advance for how strong the drinks are made! We order two Mai Tais with lunch. They arrived in the proper glass with the proper garnish and proper color. And STRONG! Mel took one drink off of her drink and refused to drink the rest! I finished both drinks, caught a great buzz and felt real good the rest of the afternoon.
Bali Hai is like coming home.
Bali Hai is San Diego paradise. I think you get the picture.

SK

If you are staying in the Gaslamp than it is a no brainer. While the quality and service could be more consistent, Bosko's work is a must see and they always have surf flicks playing on the tube.

If you go ask if they have a Mister Tiki mug for sale. The answer will probably be no but if enough people ask it may motivate them to get one again.

I'd try to avoid the hipster hours it can get crowded.

T

I enjoyed my visit to Mr Tiki.

I don't know if you can call a place with Bosko carvings in it "Neo-Tiki". His work in these is as always...excellent. Contemporary tiki, maybe, Neo....it deserves better than that.

Not every new Tiki Establishment can be Forbidden Island (but it WOULD be nice I s'pose)

I thought the food was great. Didn't have any drinks.

The patrons and the music are the real disappointment with this place.

I'd go there again.

MN

If your main concern is other people then I suppose you should avoid Mister Tiki. I like the place. Other people are not my concern. The music blows chowder. At least when they opened it was reggae & Buffett. Now it is Limp Donut & Spastic Colon or what ever blond bim has a new kid or arrest.

Dollars to donuts I am the only one in there wearing an Aloha shirt. But then, Aloha shirts aren't tiki. :lol:

The food is freaking awesome! I have NEVER had a bad meal (except when they have those specific theme meals. You know, buy the package thing with the three courses and the fancy taster drinks) at any of their restaurants. Regular menu is best. I think they have 11 restaurants. The Prado in Balboa Park is tits!! Never been to the Gaslamp Strip Club because I do not want to cook my own steak.

Anyways, the decor is great, the service is just mediocre. If you are in a rush to judge then maybe you should order drinks at the bar, walk around the place and count all the neato tiki stuff and and on the second go around pick up the drinks.
They open at 5pm.

Go Chargers!

http://www.greyhoundog.org

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2008-11-08 06:27 ]

T

Thanks everyone for the great post. All I want to do is have the bragging rights to say I was there. I'll be with civilians that are not into tiki so dinner is out. However my friends and I do love to get our drink on so that's pretty much what we will be doing there.

Mahalo,

Tikitatt
Myspace.com/velvetpainter

T

Hell yeah11111 Bosko has some great pieces in there and we loved the food . Ask them to make your wife a "Horney Monkey" the old style way . hahaha

T

Had a great time and wanted to thank everyone for their advice.

Mahalo,
Tikitatt

Pages: 1 14 replies