Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Help needed! Suggest a song!

Pages: 1 16 replies

J

I've been trying to put together a CD of upbeat songs from the 1940's and 1950's for my son. I've heard horror stories about the content of those CD's for kids so I figured I'd make my own complilation to preserve the sanity of my wife and I when in the car ...any suggestions?? Here's a sampling of what I've gathered so far...

Mills Brothers - Glow Worm
Betty Hutton - Hit the Road to Dreamland
Johnny Mercer - Ac-cent-uate the Positive
Dean Martin - Dream
Frank Sinatra - Fly Me to the Moon
Bing Crosby - Swing on a Star
Vic Damone - Cincinnati Dancing Pig
Keely Smith - Sunny Side of the Street

Any help?

[ Edited by: purple jade 2006-03-20 21:33 ]

S

Dean Martin - Dream? That's a slow one. Try "Ain't That a Kick in the Head" and "Papa Loves Mambo" by Damone
As for Sinatra, "That's Life" "Luck Be a Lady"

T

Try "That's Amore" by Dino. Kids should like that line "like a big pizza pie". Kids love "The Lion Sleeps Tonight". It drives me crazy.

E

It's true: most "children's music" is awful, dumb, guaranteed to drive parents up the wall with its cutesy repetetive gunky lyrics.

We are due for our first in early June, and are going to treat Junior to good music as early as reasonable (nothing too jarring natch). Why not? My folks did, and I turned out to have refined tastebuds.

Kids love upbeat Latin BTW. We enjoy watching our friends' little guy Tommy dance his butt off to Tito Puente, anything like that. Putumayo has an excellent Latin For Kids compilation disk.

enjoy!
em.

Okay, not quite 40s and 50's music but check out a couple of the Space-age CDs I have listed here:

Soothing Sounds For Baby, and The Essential Perrey and Kingsley:

http://www.tikicentral.com/music/soundsOfTomorrow.htm

~Hanford

D

Purple People Eater - Sheb Wooley
Banana Boat Song (Day-O)- Harry Belafonte
Hula Love - Buddy Knox
The Ballad of Davy Crockett (or) Mule Train -Tennessee Ernie ford
Swingin' on a star - Bing Crosby (or) Perry Como
Witch Dr. - David Seville
Splish Splash - Bobby Darin
Yakety Yak - Coasters

T
Thor posted on Tue, Mar 18, 2003 8:44 PM

OK, one of my favorite songs ever is "The music goes round and round" so I propose a resolution that you have 48 hours to find a version that you like. Does anyone know of any good recordings of this song about the inside of a trumpet?

MB

Our two boys, ages 4 & 7, enjoy instrumental surf tunes. Watermelon Man has always been a big hit. Dick Dale is always good for "let's wear them out" time. Our 4 year old is Ape's (Crazy Al's gig) biggest fan. He dressed as Al for halloween...coconuts and all. :) Sure as hell beats the Wiggles.
Aloha,
Mrs. Bamboo

B

Louis Prima - Angelina & Zooma Zooma
Roy Orbison - Ooby Dooby
Elvis - Rock-A-Hula-Baby

On 2003-03-18 20:44, Thor wrote:
Does anyone know of any good recordings of this song about the inside of a trumpet?

Just the Louie Prima version.

~Hanford

T

I used to love 'Cry of the Wild Goose' by Frankie Laine. We had it on a big fat 78 record. And The Cantina Band Song from Star Wars (not retro but retro sounding).

Isn't Come-on-a-my-House a little risque for the kids? Although when she says she wants to give you all that food, I suppose kids wouldn't imagine it was anything other than that. I can remember how most of us thought Frankie Goes to Hollywood's RELAX meant 'take it easy, come on over whenever you like'. hahah!

[ Edited by: purple jade 2006-03-20 21:33 ]

P

I know Harry Connick Jr. for the most part is a Sinatra rip off but the covers he does for children are pretty good and fit the whole 40s/50s vibe. His "Songs I Heard" album is an album of covers of songs from willy wonka, wizard of oz, etc. and is pretty cool. Plus, there is a really cool version of Bear Necessities floating around.
~poi

[ Edited by: PoiBoy on 2003-03-19 08:35 ]

When I was a kid growing up in the fifties,I listened to my parent's records more than the "children's" records they bought me (except for "never pick a fight with Popeye"...still got that).A few of my personal favorites were (and still are):

Purple people eater - Sheb Wooley
The Witchdoctor - David Seville
Thirteen women - Bill Haley & the Comets
Jukebox Baby - Perry Como

Why not just byuy him a copy of Capitol Records Ultra Lounge Tiki Sampler it chock filled!

There is actually two different volumes available and both are chock filled with fantastic tunes!_______________
When in Chicagoland, be sure to visit the fabulous Chef Shangri-La in North Riverside!

[ Edited by: atomiktiki on 2003-03-26 13:34 ]

Pages: 1 16 replies