Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Anyone have information on Clark's Islander or Tiki Hut In Washington State?

Pages: 1 13 replies

Going through some of my matchbooks and found these two tiki establishments.

I checked both Critiki and here on Tiki Central...was wondering if anyone has ever heard of or been to either of these Tiki restuarants in Washington state?

Clark's Islander located at 11th and A Street in the Perkins Building in Tacoma Washington?

This one lists two locations: Seattle Tiki Hut at 544 Elliot W at Mercer near the Space Needle. The second location was called Lynwood Tiki Hut at 5621 196th S.W.?

Thanks,

PTD

PTD, drinking and photographing don't mix. :)
From what I can make out (!), the Mortlock mask logo (the origin of which can be found in this thread:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=30080&forum=2 ) points to THIS Motel:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1620&forum=1

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-11-12 17:01 ]

I grew up in Lynnwood and remember my Dad used to to sometimes go to the Tiki Hut. The restaurant/bar is long gone (sometime in the 1980's) but I think the building might still be there (de-tikified).
I was never inside as a kid in the 70's but I remember the outside was pretty cool looking. It was a stand-alone building about the size of a Denny's, had grass awnings and burning torches and colored lights along the walkway to the front door and looked awesome at night.
I sure wish it was still around now.

bigbro...

Had not a drop before I took the pictures. Unfortunately, if I had, the pictures may have come out better. I really suck at the close-up shots. Thanks for the links and here is one for you! Yoou gotta love this one, it never goes outta style!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkMkGOpAF4s&feature=related

Mr. Pupu Pants...

Thanks for the information. They both look like they could have been pretty cool places back in the day!

I tried again, not sure if these are any better?

Anyone else?

PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2008-11-12 18:48 ]

W

The Tiki Hut restaurant building was recently re-discovered right here on Tiki Central.

Clark's Islander has a listing in a book about Tiki places.

T

Here is the Lynnwood Tiki Hut location as it is now.

T

Looks like the Tiki Hut Seattle location has been made into condos?

T

Correction! The address is a little different on google. Here is the Tiki Hut Seattle Location as it is today.

W

Yay! I knew someone else would come through!

There is also info about the Seattle Tiki Hut location in this thread right here.

An uncredited entry on Clark's Islander from Be My Guest In The Pacific Northwest by Bill Speidel appears in the must have Tiki Road Trip

I've posted this before:

Be My Guest In The Pacific Northwest is a great book for anyone interested in NW restaurant history or restaurants of the late 50's. Bill Speidel's writing is so detailed it's pretty much the next best thing to having gone there. Guest... is a companion book to Speidel's 1955 You Can't Eat Mount Rainier! (and later You Still Can't Eat...) which featured recipes from NW area restaurants. Both books have great line drawing illustrations by Bob Cram. Some of the drink recipes made it into Beachbum Berry's Intoxica! as did a few of Bob Cram's illustrations (uncredited, I think).

(below the line)

woofmutt

[ Edited by: woofmutt 2009-05-29 10:51 ]

T

Aloha, I had done a post under Locating Tiki on Clark's Islander. The thread is here:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=29725&forum=2&hilite=clark's%20islander

To date, no one had added any further information to that post and I didn't see anything else anywhere until this post popped up. Hope something else other than this matchbook surfaces.

TabooDan

As far as I know not much flotsam and jetsam from the Islander has washed ashore but Puamana of Arkiva Tropika would probably be the expert on what's been found.

As for Clark's Restaurants in general...

In Seattle It’s Clark’s For Fine Foods and Courteous Friendly Service. Clark’s Restaurant Enterprises, Inc. offer you these famous restaurants in Seattle: Clark’s Salad Bowl — 1319 5th Ave; Clark’s Round The Clock — 1001 Olive Way; Clark’s Top Notch — 1121 E. 45th Street; Clark’s Coffee Tavern — 1628 5th Ave; Clark’s Catering Co. — 215 Columbia Street. (found at VintageSeattle.org)

Clark's was a chain of restaurants around the Pacific Northwest area owned by Walter Clark. I believe most of their restaurants were along the lines of upscale Denny's but Clark's also had several theme or higher end restaurants such as The Islander in Tacoma, the Crabapple in Bellevue, and the Twin T-Ps in Seattle where a not yet Colonel Harland Sanders once worked. (The Twin T-Ps building remained until 2001 when it was torn down after being closed following a a fire in 2000. Typical of the city of Seattle no attempt was made to save an amazing piece of Jet City history.)Here's another brief aricle on Walter Clark.

I too missed the TabooDan Clark's Islander thread. Some day when I have more time I'll again transcribe the info from Be My Guest in the Pacific Northwest. I had originally posted all the Tiki related entries on the Yahoo! Tiki Central.

(Other than having a slightly above average memory I posses no super sleuthing powers for finding information on old restaurants. Some of the above info was stuff I learned from nosing around Seattle and Seattle junks shops but the links were all found using Google and a dial up connection. If I can do it, anyone can...Go forth and find!)

woofmutt
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
For inside sentiment see back of package.

[ Edited by: woofmutt 2008-11-28 17:33 ]

for those who dont already know the interior of Twin Teepees was all Witco Ill see if I can find my pics

The Witco interior had to have been a remodel, the Twin T-Ps (later Teepees) opened in 1937 so the builiding predated the Witco era by a couple decades. This interior pic is marked circa 1951

even better sleuthin woofmutt the original interior must have been TP haha

Pages: 1 13 replies