Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Cementland in NY Times

Pages: 1 3 replies

N

Check out the concrete Moai in this new cement waste theme park!

NEW YORK TIMES
One Part Cement, Two Parts Whimsy, One Odd Park

ST. LOUIS — In an industrial area here known for truckyards, not art, a sculptor and entrepreneur named Bob Cassilly stands on a 100-foot-tall hill, created from some of the 182,000 truckloads of dirt that have been unloaded and applied to the skeleton of a former cement factory.

Construction companies have dumped dirt here since before he bought the property on which he is standing. But Mr. Cassilly, who has made use of others’ castoffs since the ’70s, is happy to continue the dumping arrangement. It means free sculpture material; just as important, the companies pay him to unload. Without that, he said, “this is basically an unaffordable project.”

The project, which he calls Cementland, resists easy categorization. Imagine a park peppered with Mr. Cassilly’s lively animal sculptures...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/25/arts/design/25ceme.html?_r=1&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink&oref=slogin

Looks a lot like the foreground tiki in Shag's new print.

[ Edited by: Bongo Bungalow 2008-11-13 13:48 ]

It comforts me to know that I'm not the only person out there that has a love of urban decay and can see the art in it.

Is there any St Louis TCers out there that know about this place?

The guy's name is Cassilly, maybe it should have been Cas-CRAZY! :lol:

Looks like he's got an ambitious project, I wish him luck.

Pages: 1 3 replies