Why is curacao blue?

Pages: 1 17 replies

T
Thor posted on Tue, Mar 18, 2003 8:50 PM

Seriously.

T
Thor posted on Tue, Mar 18, 2003 9:03 PM

Really? Multiple colors, like Mad Dog?

I thought the blue color had something to do with speaking Dutch. Shows how much I know.

S

Food color as much as I can tell. I am beginning to think it's better to stock the bar with the clear Curacao and use a drop of blue food color in the blue drinks. If the taste is the same, why not?

T
Thor posted on Tue, Mar 18, 2003 9:21 PM

Wow. I had no idea that curacau came in a clear version. I am thinking up a drink now:

1 part clear curacao
1 part clear rum
over ice
with a dash of pepsi clear

Blue Curacao was originally colored in the 18th century by cold steeping with the outer wing shells of french blue beetles. Presumeably now it's full of food color (I think I like that better anyway).

T
Thor posted on Tue, Mar 18, 2003 11:09 PM

What was the name of those freedom blue beetles?

Absolutely flabbergasted,
-Thro

[ Edited by: Thor on 2003-03-18 23:10 ]

the original curaçao is the orange one, made w/dried peels of bitter oranges found on the Caribbean island of Curaçao. the other colors are just dyed look funky.

It's an optical illusion.

Curacao isn't really blue. It appears blue due to the sun's rays refracting through the atmosphere.

Seriously.

'A thing of Tiki is a joy forever'

Celebrate 'International Tiki Day' the second Saturday in August - Hau'oli La Tiki!

PolyPop, I've adopted your kids!

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2003-03-19 13:14 ]

Blue Curacao is so since the day you left it on the doorstep with a baby in its arms

one less egg to fry. one less egg to fry.

Oh, Tikimonkey! I just laughed twenty sit-ups worth of stomach-muscle-tensing! Thanks for the easy work-out!

And UGH! to the the blue-beetle-coloring thing! UUUUGH!!!

I'd rather have blue beetle blood in my drinks than some of the chemical shite they pump into foods these days.

And Thor, "I thought the blue color had something to do with speaking Dutch"........apart from surrealists, the only people I know who've made such mental leaps have indeed been the Dutch. The one's that have entered their famous coffee shops, never to return.....

Trader Woody

T
Thor posted on Wed, Mar 19, 2003 7:09 PM

They speak Dutch in Curacao, right?

E

On 2003-03-19 19:09, Thor wrote:
They speak Dutch in Curacao, right?

Yeah mon! Or should I say, ja man!

em

S

Now for pronouncing it. Cure-a-sew is correct as I read it, but just try going into the liquor store and asking for it. I end up saying "Kur-ah-koh" and they say "OH!"

E

My old mixology instructor (yep, one of the things I tried after high school) called it "koo-RAK-ow". Mind you, he was not a native English speaker...Macedonian or something like that.

em.

T

On 2003-03-18 20:50, Thor wrote:
Seriously.

Because that's how baby Jesus made it.

It's pronounced ker (as in sucker and other pleasant words) uh sow. ker uh sow, that's how the natives say it. Languages spoken are Dutch, Spanish, English, French and Papiamento, a mixture of all the previous with some native Arawak Indian, and Portugese words thrown in for good measure.
It was a local Pidgin/trade lingo. I was down there in 95 or so for several days.
Nice topless beaches and fun nightlife. It's only 40 miles from Venezuela but is a commonwealth of the Netherlands with it's own government. It's right next to Aruba and Bonaire and has the only brewery in the world that makes beer (AMSTEL) from distilled sea water. Parts of the island look like the Sonoran desert complete with sand and cacti.

Because that's how baby Jesus made it.

So it's Virgin Mary Blue! It does seem to match all those Mary-on-the-Half-Shells in the yards all over my grammy's neighborhood. It all makes sense now...damn, James, you should write a book or something.

Pages: 1 17 replies