Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Free Palm Tree Stump Pieces

Pages: 1 7 replies

Gone

[ Edited by: chevymike 2012-11-28 08:17 ]

Hey mike, I am on the other side of the planet so i can't help you out but i have to admit i still have a big smile on my face from reading about your predicament. As i am a starting carver living in a place where fresh logs are very hard to find, I literally dream about this. (did i just say i dream about hardwood?)

Now this might help you.
Did you consider cutting the logs in half length wise? This helps the logs loose the water they contain a lot faster thus making them a lot lighter. And o course cutting them in half makes them half their weight and you get four pieces to practice on.

Thats my 2 cents and i hope it helps.
Goodluck.

Mahalo,
Grapa-RuHa

mike,

i'm closer than grapa-ruha but i'm still too far away to take them off your hands. try a 2 and/or 4 wheel dolly. does fine for moving them around, but the best is a buddy with a pickup truck. buy him a six pack or 2 and tell him it's just some light lifting. i moved 3 about that size by myself and can tell you it wasn't any fun but when they dry out i will be happy. good luck if you decide to carve them.

big daddy

F

Mike:

Wow--Large and great pieces. I am just starting out myself, in the process of shucking a couple of other palm logs that I got pretty raw thatI will be carving with my son. I am learning a lot from just reviewing the posts on this group. I would be very interested in these and I am in San Diego (and I actially have a truck). Feel free to e-mail me directly to arrange a pick up time (preferably on the weekend)

Thanks

Ted
[email protected]

M
mieko posted on Mon, Nov 17, 2008 1:37 PM

Those are some nice logs. The further down on the tree, the more solid the wood, so those guys will be great!
I don't have any way of moving them either, but my best advice is to see if your sister in-law can leave them on the side of her house for a few months. They will dry out and get a LOT lighter over time, although it'll still probably be a year or two till they're easily moved. :)

If you're interested in learning to carve in San Diego, make sure to check out the thread in California Events for the next tiki chop.

Take a chainsaw and slice those babies right down the middle (vertically) - palm cuts easier with the grain. They are thick enough to use as half-rounds. That will give you 4 chunks that are just as good and make them a whole lot lighter!

Thanks for all the support to use them. They just are not what I wanted to start with.

I have sent emails to those who contacted me but haven't heard back.

These are still available. Come and take them to a happy home.

So far no one has actually taken them. Have had some interest but they still sit in my S-I-L's back yard.

Last chance to get these otherwise I will pay to have them hauled to the dump. Really would love to see someone get these since they would make awesome large tikis but they have to go ASAP.

Anyone???

Pages: 1 7 replies