Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Enter; The Secret Worlds Of - Lai Fong

Pages: 1 5 replies

M

Ensconced within the walls of an Civil War era building, in old Honolulu, is Lai Fong, in business for over 70 years, until recently selling custom made apparal for the town's upscale inhabitants whom appreciated real fashion. Once inside, you'll be mezmerized and amazed as you venture back into time's long gone except for here, where innumerable, seriously vintage artifacts, baubles, textiles, table ware, and artwork lay in various stages of both order and disarray. Even the dust is almost ancient.
This is an antique store like no other. While a few tiki items can be found, they pale in contrast to the Oriental and local Hawaiian pieces of history which fill every square inch of the premises. Stunningly lifelike 1930s era manniquens stare into the past while exibiting Far Eastern style silken dresses, Don Ho's director's chair backrest lay's in view, George 'Tautu' Archer and his Pagans 78 RPM book albums in fine condition rest in an old rice shipping container, hundreds of jade, ivory, and porcelin trinkets await adornment, a small case of aged bakelite die (dice) sit ready for some smoke filled craps room action. And in the back sits the most awesome Leeteg ever to be seen. A unique, very large framed velvet painting of a beautiful blond nude, in perfect condition and pose, is cast amongst the rest of incredible brick-a-brack from long ago. The painting, possibly the finest of it's type, was given to the shop owner by the lady who sat for it originally, in 1944. They certainly don't make them like this any more, ...or the paintings.
This is but a smattering of the contents to be gazed upon, priced from $35 to $35,000, should you be fortunate enough to cross the threshold of this incredible establishment. The decendant owner, Bob, is amicable and willing to talk story to the point you wish to buy the entire contents to show appreciation for keeping the contents intact and doors open to the public. The store is located on Nuuanu Ave., between Hotel and Pauahi street's. Open on Monday, Friday, and Saturday, early afternoons.
You'll not find another such as this.
http://www.chinatownhi.com/?q=node/15

D

the shop has never been open when we've stopped by! two weeks ago, we pressed our noses to the glass trying to peer into the store ~ it's jam packed with things, but too hard to windowshop.. next time we're on Oahu, we'll call him to make an appointment.

Thanks for making me read three paragraphs of infomercial crap.

On 2008-11-17 23:06, Unga Bunga wrote:
Thanks for making me read three paragraphs of infomercial crap.

Wow that's rude! Now I could understand your bile if msteeln was a one post spammer discussing cheap cigarettes or cell phones, but from looking at their previous posts they seem genuinely interested in some parts of tiki culture. How is this post "infomercial crap" compared to a 12 page post on the building of a commercial bar? You could even argue that the entire of "Locating tiki" is one huge pile of "infomercial crap" and don't even get me started on "Collecting tiki","Tiki Marketplace" and "Creating Tiki".

I can understand your reaction to a newbie posting about some service or shop their recommending as there are a few people who only ever post to link back to their companies and have yet to add anything to TC, but in this instance I think this is just case of eager newbie miss-locating a post more suitable for Market place.

I think we've both been on TC long enough to know that rudeness to fellow TC members not only puts off newbies but chases away the old-school members who can't be doing with the squabbling.

...And written with style.

M

I think this is just case of eager newbie miss-locating a post more suitable for Market place.

I certainly gave it some thot as to where would be the most appropriate place for the thread, and settled on this one, simply for the want of telling a fun story that I'd just experienced, and that it would probably grab the most attention for those whom might wish to visit an interesting place, but wasn't tiki laden.

BTW, BB was gracious off-forum per the flame, which was appreciated, no probs.

Aloha

Pages: 1 5 replies