Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Would You Tell?

Pages: 1 10 replies

W

Some times you find out information about someone which you'd probably rather not know but which you know other people might want to know if they're planning on having any interactions with that person whether socially or in business.

At times like this do you think it's best to just pretend you don't know or is there an obligation to at least make other interested parties aware of the information?

There of course is that old line "What you don't know..." but if the unknown information is something some may find so shocking, and extremely off-putting should it be divulged?

I recently just discovered that a Tiki Central Member who is also a "friend" of mine over on the MySpace added as their profile song Christmas Island by Jimmy Buffet.

I am aware of the effect Jimmy Buffet has on many of you. Mr Buffet clearly has a power that a large number of Tiki Central members are incapable of overcoming. He may even have sparked more discussions on Tiki Central than Martin Denny.

I, fortunately, don't have an issue with Jimmy's music. In fact just to set the tone for this post I am listening to him right now.

I've also found his music has been useful at events with a large number of Tiki Centralites...I bring a small cassette player with a Buffet tape and turn it on to clear the path to the bar or get choice objects from vendors. (At the Tiki Art Now show in 2006 I used Cheeseburger In Paradise to immobilize a large group of Tiki aficionados which allowed me and a few others, two with earplugs so as to not be affected by the Buffet tune, to scoop up more than our share of the limited edition mugs.)

But knowing how so many of you feel about Jimmy Buffet I wonder if I should reveal the information I've discovered to Tiki Central in general? Is it a service to the so called Ohana or is it just spreading gossip?

spill it man,
:wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I know exactly what you mean! Another guy, also a TCer

...who shall remain nameless...

...sat down hard on a barstool I just made and look what happened. Do I tell everyone who might come in contact with this person about this and, perhaps, save some innocent furniture?

Nope! I'm gonna at least wait until I can get a set of four or six.

Just so that

everyone knows

that this person

is real,

here's a

photo of

the guy,

pixelated

to protect

his identity.

[ Edited by: The Gnomon 2008-11-18 10:12 ]

I say rat out the bastard so the intervention can begin.

On 2008-11-18 07:36, woofmutt wrote:

But knowing how so many of you feel about Jimmy Buffet I wonder if I should reveal the information I've discovered to Tiki Central in general? Is it a service to the so called Ohana or is it just spreading gossip?

I say keep it under your hat. It could just be a cover to infiltrate another group and once inside take down the leader of one of the rebel Buffet factions. Sharing the information could put the mission in jeopardy, or worse could put the secret agent personally at risk.

Let's put him in water and see if he floats!

D

gee, Tiki Riviera has a MySpace page? i guess he has me blocked.

But many Tiki Centralites have "Secret Tiki Shames", I have it on good authority some people don't own a single Hawaiian shirt, others don't collect tiki mugs or only brown mugs and one NEVER DRINKS COCKTAILS but only making-love-in-a-canoe beer.

So do you "out" their "Secret Tiki Shames", you can't out someone until you reviled your own "Secret Tiki Shame".

My "Shame" is that, I have no idea who Jimmy Buffet is, I have never knowingly heard his music, wouldn't recognize him if he stood up in soup.

..."People who live in glass Tiki huts shouldn't throw carved Marquesean paddles"...

I believe what you find out should be kept to yourself, it's the golden rule. However, sometimes
I make an exception if it's for the public good. So, you didn't hear this from me, but I happen to
know for a fact that a certain TC member named D#gbytes secretly hates dogs and loves cats and nature!
I once saw her kick a poodle in the knee when she thought no one was looking. As the poodle was crying
she mocked it saying "The only thing your good for is nothing!" Then I saw her rolling around a lawn
with a cat squealing with delight as she exclaimed "one day cats will be man's best friend!". sad but true.

W

"...a certain TC member named D#gbytes secretly...loves...nature!" -tiki-thunderbird-

Jeez, some weird stuff is startin' to make sense about a certain Jet City Tiki event hostess:

1. She's never at any Tiki Events on weekends when there's an RV show goin' on in town.

2. She had a recently acquired classic car fitted with a trailer hitch. ("I just always liked them!" was her explanation.)

3. Several times when asked about weekend plans she has said "We're going hiking... I mean shopping! In Chinatown. And eating at Hi-King...Our favorite Chinese restaurant. Yummy!"

But as this picture clearly shows:

There is no restaurant named Hi-King in Chinatown!

4. That little room behind the Rongorongo Room? It's full of freeze dried food and REI gear. (She claims it all came with the house and they haven't gotten around to clearing it out.)

5. On every one of their vehicles there is one of these:

Pages: 1 10 replies