Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

In Seattle for Christmas

Pages: 1 38 replies

Hello, Seattle tikiphiles. Kalewikiki and I will be up Seattle for Christmas. It will be a really quick trip, but we will have time for a tiki on the night after Christmas. We have been to both Luau and Hula Hula. I'm wondering if there are any others worth checking out? From what I read on Critiki and saw on websites, I'm thinking these two places are our best bets. If so, we will probably head over to Hula Hula that night since we will be staying in Magnolia. Anyone want to meet up with us the night of Dec 26th?

[ Edited by: tiki kupcake 2008-11-24 22:09 ]

D

hey Kupcake!

we'll be in town for christmas, so we can probably meet up with you. just to letcha know, drinks at luau and hula hula are..um.. fruity and sweet. but the decor at each are fun.

but if you're looking for great drinks and food, with a fantastic interior, i'd suggest Ama Ama in west seattle (plus, they have a few items from Trader vic's bellevue). a tropical (hawaiian-but no tiki) venue is Palisades (i havent eaten there yet, but i did buy a gift card for someone, and want to go back!)

are you with your family for christmas? we have no family here ~ but we're not sure what our christmas plans are yet, either "out for chinese" or i'll do a big ole dinner (need to see how thanksgiving goes first).. i'll send you my contact info!

Hello. I met you on the Tiki Kon bus.

I do have family in that area. We are going to drive up Christmas day and do the family thing that night. The day after Christmas we will just do Seattle tourist kind of stuff. That night we are hoping to go somewhere tiki. We have already been to both Luau and Hula Hula. The drinks we got at both places were strong and not sweet. Must have been what we ordered. Except, I did order the chi chi at Hula Hula. It was too sweet and I was disappointed it came with whip cream on it. I didn't order a pina colada, I ordered a chi chi. Besides that, we were pretty happy with everything. We are always down for checking out some place new.

S

I might be up for something that night too. But can't stay for too long. I'll be on dog-sitting patrol for friends.
Ama Ama would be good since it's near my hood and I've never been yet.
woohoo, christmas!

That would be great! The more, the merrier. Even if it's for only one drink.

If you do Ama Ama Im there

W

Skip Palisades. It has a showy modern Vegas tropical feel to it and their food and drink presentation is good (the Tropical Itch came with a back scratcher in it) but all the nice bits end there. The drinks we had were just so-so and expensive and the snacks were forgettable except for the prices and greasiness of the Kobi sliders.

You got lucky with your drinks at Hula Hula. After a couple tries I now only drink beer or wells there. (And even their wells aren't all that great.)

Ama-Ama does make swell drinks. If you like oysters their happy hour is a must. The place has a sort of 1969 bachelor pad swankiness to it, very cool. It's especially nice at night when there's no sun coming in the windows. Staff is great, and the fancy drinks are some of the best I've had in Seattleville. It's also really easy to get to that part of West Seattle from Magnolia.

We are down for Ama-Ama. We already got mugs from Hula Hula.

I'll try to make it too. For my money that area along California Ave. is the best stretch of bars in Seattle, from the swanky (e.g. Ama Ama) to the funky (West 5) to the classic dive (Poggie Tavern). West Seattle is Seattle's Portland and Ama Ama is a living Shag painting.

Monkey Skull (Project K-Bar)

It sounds like we are getting a party started now. Me likey!

S

what time we thinking? it looks like happy hour is 4-6...
that's always a good time to go. and be happy...
heh

P

Sounds like fun!
If anyone wants to come to Kenmore, Lopaka and I would love to have you all at our home bar," The Zombie hut tiki lounge" We have a new juicer, and can't wait to use it! fresh pineapple Dirtnapples, anyone?
Plenty of room, and pinball, too!
We could come up with some pupu's, too!
WADDDAYA TINK?

Happy hour on the 26th would be great. We are always down for happy hour.

How far away is Kenmore? If it's not too far, maybe we could all move the party to The Zombie Hut Tiki Lounge after happy hour?

Well, it looks like Kenmore is to far for an after party. I wouldn't want anyone to get DUIIs. Let's start at Ama Ama and have some fun in West Seattle. We are really looking forward to it!

P

Ok, cupcake!
We're happy to go to Seattle and be part of the Boxing day festivities!
The Ama-Ama sounds great!

I really hope we are going to be able to do this. I'm a little worried with the weather that we won't be able to make it up there. I will make sure to keep everyone up to date through here.

I still wanna get to ama ama day after kinishmas. even though we are totally buried in snow

GHODOHGHODOGHOD!
Me too, also!
Count us in!

D

we're now "iffy"

i need to get my dog to Chehalis the day after christmas, and thats going to all depend on the weather.

more snow is coming.

how are the roads in West Seattle? and the bridge?

The roads in West Seattle and the bridge are fine, but it does help having a Subaru!
We decided not to travel out of town because of the weather, so we may join the fun
at Ama if it's still a go.

S

well, at this rate it should hopefully be melty by then!!!
Oh please, oh please oh please...
my car has only moved once in the last 13 days.
at least I'm not wasting gas, huh?

I'm still not sure if we are coming or not. We got 3 more inches of snow last night and they say more is coming. It's actually been snowing ever since I got up. I also talked with my mom this morning and she said that it took her 2 hours to go from my aunt's house to I5. My aunt's house is where we are suppose to be staying. It's still so up in the air. Basically we are waiting to see if this rain really comes through or not. I will post here tomorrow to let everyone know if we went up to Seattle or not.

Snow has shifted my plans and I will now be on the road to Portland with some relatives the day after Christmas.

monkeyskull: ooh can Trader Pup catch a ride with you to Chehalis?

its snowing again. and rain is expected in the afternoon. then a freeze tonight. yay. bumper cars!

we'll see how things look before i commit to an evening of drinkin

Here's the latest: We were still trying to make it up there this afternoon. However, it looks like it's a no go now for today. My mom just called and said it's snowing like crazy at my grandparent's house. My whole family is all worried about us driving up in this weather and said they would feel a lot better if we didn't make the trip. So, we are staying here and will be having Christmas with a fellow tikiphile here in Portland.

There is still a chance we will come up tomorrow though! I will post again tomorrow once we see how the weather turns.

D

stay safe! Mrs Pinapple reports 6+ inches of snow overnight in Kirkland, and more is falling fast!

here in Leschi (near the I90 bridge) its snowing, and there's puddles of melted snow ~ which will freeze tonight, if the forecast is correct. ugh.

but luckily i have a great book to read (ok, look at the pictures).. Merry Christmas Everyone

P

Awwww, c'mon! take heart fellow tiki-nistas! It's 7:30 PM, and lopaka and I just came from xmas festivities in Monroe.
lots of people on the road!
Ok, It might of been a bit slushy on the local streets, until you get to the main arterials, but then it's fine!
here's a tip: Throw a bunch of heavy stuff in your trunk for better traction.
Tomorrow, it's gonna be even clearer...
If we're coming from the "wilds" of deepest, darkest Kenmore,Where a lot of you fear to tread,
some of you brave souls can do the same!
SOOOOOOOOO!
Who's in at the Ama @ 4:00 On Boxing day?

S

no more snow in West Seattle, and coming back from Stanwood today wasnt too bad.
Hope no freeze tomorrow, because I HAVE TO get to work. argh.
Shoveled out my driveway since the snow plows left a big pile in front of the car, went up the hill to the "murder mart" for beer.
wheeeee.
made it back to the driveway. whew.
Hope to see some of ya tomorrow.
probably make it to AMA by 4ish I hope.

P

do we need to make a reservation?
For how many, do you all think?

I have made a reservation @ 4:00 for 4...
I Know sophista- tiki and Sweetpea are coming. anyone else?

Just went out to see if I could drive to Ama Ama. Thers no way my truck is still stuck in a big snow/slush bank. I couldnt even get it out of its parking space without sliding almost slid into my bamboo fence

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2008-12-26 13:50 ]

P

ARRRRRRRGH! it's 2:30, and snowing hard in Kenmore!
Is anybody else really going to show up @ 4:00?

P

Raincheck?
Snowcheck?

We were not able to leave town. Sure the snow is starting to melt, but I think it's made it worse. Couldn't get either car off our street. AceyTiki is working on getting my car off the street and back in the driveway now. I'm pretty sure we will be up in Seattle some time in Jan. I will let everyone know when. I'm sad we weren't able to make it tonight. :( If anyone is ever down in Portland we are always happy to meet you at either Thatch or the Alibi!

D

it was slushy, but we made it over to West Seattle ~ a small, but wonderful bunch of folks made it by bus and car and carpool! folks to the north and south of Seattle, were re-stuck in snow and ice.

a SUPER GIANT THANK YOU, to Miss Sweetpea for her generous gift to all of us.

"Daddy Riviera, thats RUDOLPH"

we had some yummy food and drinks, exchanged gifts and had fantastic evening.

you can tell some of us havent been out in public in a while! I swear thats one of the goofiest pictures of me Ive ever seen

I'm really sorry we missed this. Especially, since I got it started and all. Oh, well. We will be up there in either Jan or Feb. I will let you all know when and get this going, again.

On 2008-12-27 19:07, Sophista-tiki wrote:
you can tell some of us havent been out in public in a while! I swear thats one of the goofiest pictures of me Ive ever seen

I know how you feel!! The picture of me looks like I'm wearing a Wayne Newton wig and Elise looks like
she has a toupee! Thanks Dogbytes!

"The picture of me looks like I'm wearing a Wayne Newton wig..." -tiki-thunderbird-

That's absurd! Everyone knows you wear a Frankie Valli wig.

Pages: 1 38 replies