Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Sonoma Syrup orgeat-anyone try this??

Pages: 1 9 replies

S

Found this at a local gourmet type store

Anyone use it before? The ingredients are:

I've made mai tais with it, but as I've never had a mai tai outside of my house I really don't know how to judge the quality.

Looking at the ingredients, I would not be tempted to use it as a substitute for orgeat. The vanilla content exceeds the almond content, and even a little vanilla is enough to tarnish (if not ruin) the orgeat flavor. Then, of course, the color and consistency is so very not orgeat. I'm not into covering up the flavor of coffee with syrups, but it seems as though that would be the most practical use for that syrup. Also, I don't know how they get away with calling something "simple syrup" that has anything but sugar and water. Once you start enhancing it, it isn't simple any more.

At Oasis, I made Mai Tais all night with this one night, and they were fine. Not quite ideal, but with fresh lime, good rum, and a good orange liqueur, it's better than a crappy orgeat.

Sonoma Syrups are of fabulous quality and make fabulous drink ingredients (IMHO). I'll echo others and say this isn't orgeat. If you're looking for inexpensive, but good, try Monin. :)

I second that emotion -- Sonoma Syrups are great. I love their Meyer Lemon, wonderful in a Tom Collins.

+1 They make great syrups. They're grenadine (pomegranate) and vanilla syrups are great in cocktails. I stayed away from their orgeat because of the vanilla and the fact that it doesn't look like a real orgeat. Other than that, I'm sure it still makes for some good drinks.

On 2008-11-26 09:43, John Jacob wrote:
+1 They make great syrups. They're grenadine (pomegranate) and vanilla syrups are great in cocktails. I stayed away from their orgeat because of the vanilla and the fact that it doesn't look like a real orgeat. Other than that, I'm sure it still makes for some good drinks.

The vanilla seemed a little hinky to me at first, but I was reading the Mai Tai Component thread and someone mentioned putting vanilla in their simple syrup. I can taste....something....in the background of my Mai Tais, so I know it's there. Haven't had a real one anywhere else to judge it by. Guess I'll finish it up & then try another type of orgeat....see how much the taste changes.

The Sonoma cinnamon syrup is also top notch. A little pricey but really potent.

I bought their orgeat today and it's quite awesome, it gave my Mai Tai a crisp, sweet taste. The price isn't so bad if you make orgeat-spiked cocktails only once in awhile.

B

On 2008-11-27 08:51, rev_thumper wrote:
The Sonoma cinnamon syrup is also top notch. A little pricey but really potent.

Ditto. I prefer the Sonoma to any of the cinnamon syrups I've made at home. It's potent, but works really well in polynesian cocktails.

I can second the rec for Monin almond syrup. Fee Brothers orgeat is also very good.

Pages: 1 9 replies