Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Anyone have a color photo of the Hollywood Don The Beachcomber?

Pages: 1 0 replies

Aloha. Wrong Dimension Boy here. You might know my cousin around these parts... He goes by the name of Slacks Ferret, and he does some mighty awesome art.

My brother also absorbed the family tiki bug. He owns and operates one of the finest private tiki bars in Los Angeles (IMHO), The Crown Tiki.

My cousin and brother are really more the tikiphiles than I am, although I can say that I've enjoyed drinks at legendary tiki bars: Kelbos Los Angeles, the Beverly Hills, Paris (France) and Chicago Trader Vics, Bali Hai, The Mai-Kai and the Arizona Kontiki just to name a few.

Anyway, I've been working on this art piece called The Picture of Everything for the last decade or so. You can see a You Tube thing about it by clicking HERE.

In the latest section I'm adding some legendary tiki establishments. Here's a Tiki Central exclusive detail:

So here's where I could really use some help from folks on the boards.

I found the following famous black and white photo of Don The Beachcomber Hollywood's exterior on the internet...

...but can't find a color one to reference what color the drinks were on the billboard or what color the place was painted. Anyone know?

Here's where the place will be on the picture, right next to Peter Luger (NYC), Robocop riding a unicorn, Danny The Dinosaur and Go Dog Go:

Although accuracy in this work is really not all that important, any help would be appreciated in getting some reference to what the original colors were.

[ Edited by: wrongdimensionboy 2008-12-01 19:19 ]

[ Edited by: wrongdimensionboy 2008-12-01 19:20 ]

[ Edited by: wrongdimensionboy 2008-12-01 19:22 ]

Pages: 1 0 replies