Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Are these Witco products..

Pages: 1 4 replies

T

Does anyone know if these are Witco?I found here in Cincinnati for $600 bucks for the pair.It is signed "Tack".Thanks for your help...

I'm no expert, but I think those are Witco. Usually I guess correctly, if that means anything to you...

They are...or they are good copies of the Witco originals, because I don't recognize that signature on the lower right as being from anyone at Witco, and why would someone sign something they did not make. Also, to find that out, are they vintage, or of recent manufacture? They are a bit pricey, kind of in the range of if someone made these today and wants their labor's worth. Or they were re-mounted because the backings were messed up, and then signed? That backlit shelf usually had faux leopard or Tiger print as backing. That shelf is rare, and the "Conversation" faces are highly desirable, but id they are not in original condition, the price is definitely too high.

In any case, I would be interested to see a close up shot of the signature, and get an assessment if they are new or old, or just the backings are new.

So now they are on e-bay...still pricey:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Conversation-Faces-Witco-Hawaii-Tiki-Art-Eames-Era-70s_W0QQitemZ370129694325QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item370129694325&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1419%7C66%3A4%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A200

Ken, can you ask Bill if there ever was a brief period when someone other than him or "Wilrongo" signed the pieces? Or is this perhaps from one of the deserters?

Hey Sven I am going to go out on a limb a little bit. The signatures look hand signed not with a stamp like some other people that copied or resold Witco.
You would be amazed how many clowns used to claim they carved a Tiki or whatever, that someone actually put their name on it is not as odd as you may think. I have heard the whole we bought it (the Witco) in the South Pacific, it's hand carved ebony or whatever wood more times than you can imagine. In fact the stories are remarkably similar to one another, when you tell them you know the manufacturer some people will fess up others just act stupid.
They certainly look vintage at least the conversation does, you can see the age on the white board.

Bosko

Pages: 1 4 replies