Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The Future?

Pages: 1 10 replies

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Dec 4, 2008 1:48 PM

This is more surfing related than tiki, but how many 16 year-olds do you know who list Martin Denny as their favourite musician, hang out in a tiki hut in the back yard, and ride a longboard like they were born 40 years earlier? Introducing Joe Aaron:
http://www.fuel.tv/NewPollution/videos/view/8413

B
BigToe posted on Thu, Dec 4, 2008 2:29 PM

classic, pipes!

actually there is a whole sub-culture of surf-rats here in so-cal that ride 60's style longboards in retro-style beaver-tail wetsuits with all their hipster friends at San Onofre State beach, which is a classic point break with a small parking lot that engenders the sit-around-the-fire with guitars and ukes surf-club lifestyle.

T

Wow, there's hope yet.

M

Stoked that you posted this video clip. I was driving by Kona about a month and a half ago one Saturday and noticed all these old vintage surfboards and vendors in the parking lot so i pulled in and it was a surfboard slash vintage Hawaiian and surfing memorabilia swap meet going on. I made the rounds admiring all the old logs and cool tiki and surfing items and came up to Joes booth where he was selling his paintings and a few t shirts, i started talking with him and was immediately impressed with his down to earth personality and his stoke on surfing and he came across as if he was an old legend already talking about the good old days, definitely an old soul with a new school attitude and i was completely blown away that he was only 16. His artwork can be seen in this months Longboard Magazines art issue. I talked with him about music for a bit too, because i ended up buying this painting of David Nuuhiwa at Huntington Beach. Hes wearing a helmet and vest which was mandatory back in the day for a short period in H.B. and if you weren't wearing that while surfing it would result in a ticket from the lifeguard. I told him it kinda reminded me of Devo and he got all fired up and told me he was just watching a video of Devo on youtube the night before. He had never been in Kona before so i painted a picture of what it was like inside and his eyes lit up. He told me he had been on the New Pollution segment on Fuel Tv but i had missed it. This kid has alot of talent and i believe he will be an ambassador for the sport in the coming future. He is a rare breed for sure!

N

At the high school I taught at, the surfer kids dug Tiki. They would wear Tiki necklaces and Surfing company shirts with Tikis on them. When they found out I did Tiki Magazine, they would ask to buy them off me. A few of them carved their own Tikis. There is hope.

Rotten Kid!
He's got so much talent!
I have a time share, on the beach, in Capistrano Beach, his home town. The beach there; Doheney State beach, there are 50 kids at a time in the water who are not far behind Joe in ability and style. I love to paddle out and ride with the next generation of surf champs. These kids are doing things that we only dreamed about, and there are as many girls cranking as there are guys.

There are several recent reasons to believe our lifestyle has a future, this thread has even more. Thanks Paipo.

Joe rips, for sure!

It's great that there are still kids who get influenced by their parents and embrace it. It's a very rare thing these days down in Orange County for any kid to have individuality in music and style....especially at his age.

Next thing you know they will be listening to surf music.
shock and horror.
:o

Jeff(btd)

Surf music never went away and now there are likely as many good surf bands as in the glory days; they are just not played on the Establishment-controlled media.

Tiki seems alive and well, especially in CA. 'Could use a gob more presence here on the Central Coast...the Great Lakes.

Pages: 1 10 replies