Lava Rooms Combo

and turntable operators
Brian P (ex rebel music U.K.)
Raul Pa Nui (Chile)
Beach Comber Bob

with more to be announced

all this set in Lava Rooms unique pacificana hideaway.... promises to be
a fantastic night

this, like all of Lava Rooms events, is private, for friends of Lava Rooms.
space is limited, response has been fast so far, so RSVP.ing is strongly advised as this will get your name on the list and ensure you get in.
door price is $20

[ Edited by: brian p 2008-12-08 17:17 ]

[ Edited by: 2008-12-09 19:27 ]

[ Edited by: brian p 2008-12-09 19:28 ]

And who do we have as presenter: Our old favorite, the Luau/Hanalei Tiki! That statue is without a doubt the most copied Tiki from the BOT. :)

To answer your question, Brian, the BOT is what my "Book of Tiki" is commonly referred to here on Tiki Central. Published in 2000, it for the first time made a plethora of Tiki images available to the public, and has been used as a source by many graphic designers since. It's my hobby to find images from the book out there, off course, and that particular Tiki photo from page 205 has been one of the most used. I took it in 1993 in the courtyard of the Hanalei Hotel in San Diego:

It is one of the many Tikis at the Hanalei that hail from the original Luau in Beverly Hills. I have no photographic evidence of it in situ there, but a Luau menu illustration clearly depicts it:

That Tiki must have a universal quality to it, because it has become one of the most reproduced from the book, here are a few, not all:

It even has been reproduced in larger than its original size!:

I am not noting this as a critique, I am simply glad that the goal of my book, to re-introduce Tiki into pop culture, has been achieved. :)

T

And just like the BOT helps everyone, so does the Svens book called Tiki Modern helps us verify if a piece is authentic or not? Just as Tikigrl asks her question on this piece!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=20416&forum=5&start=600&606

And sure enough, it can be found on page 95 of the Svens Tiki Modern book. So pick one, you wont be sorry.

Thanks again Sven.

Pages: 1 3 replies