Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Giant Tiki in Tucson Moving next week

Pages: 1 11 replies

Well, they are finally moving the giant Moai on Speedway to its new location, The Hut, a local tiki type bar near 4th ave. All 45,000 lbs. I might have to take off of work to check out the move. Should be a sight.
Ciao

T

If you have the means, please snap a few pics during the move and post them. What a sight this should be...I'd love to do a painting of that!

(actually any aspect of the move such as lifting the moai onto a truck with a crane etc)

..Thanks!

TikiG,
Will try my best.....it might be a stretch, I work about 12 miles from the site and we are all alittle paranoid about the economy etc. but I'll try and if nothing else, someone (local news) should have something, 'cause there is nothing but large, busy streets between where it is and where it's going. They might even try to sneak it thru at night, in which case I'll have a better chance.
Ciao

T

Well, the giant tiki head made its move! Here's an article from the local paper...

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/ss/fromtopemails/105873.php

It should take a few weeks for it to be mounted on its new base at The Hut, but since I work just down the street, I'll try to snap some pics!

Here's some shots of the move:

[ Edited by: TikiMike 2008-12-24 21:37 ]

TM,
Glad you got some of the move, I was there the day before but couldn't get to the actual move.

g]

Mahalo

PS
They have already felled a couple of the palms which are just laying inside the fence which will probably go to the dump....trying to get a hold of someone to get some of the logs. Haven't had any luck, any suggestions Tucson Tiki?
Mahalo

The event was noted in that other great website, RoadsideAmerica.com.

I didn't realize it, but it seems the Tucson Tiki has a relative

On 2009-01-03 23:18, tikipedia wrote:

I didn't realize it, but it seems the Tucson Tiki has a relative

He also has a few more in South Lake Tahoe and Reno

[ Edited by: tikitucson 2009-01-06 01:56 ]

D

That one relative is almost a spittin' image. I took a pic of a few of the other pieces, the place is locked up....the Mercedes dealer who bought it to make a parking lot won't let you in any more.
Mahalo

M

Russell S. Monkey likes the ape with diarrhea!

Why didn't they just make the Moai walk, like on Easter Island?

Pages: 1 11 replies