Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Mele Kalikimaka w/The Smokin' Menehunes & Bill Tapia This Friday (12/19/08)at the Kitchen

Pages: 1 22 replies

Hot off the COCONUT-BONG wire: The Smokin' Menehunes will be playing their final show at the Catalina Fish Kitchen for the year this Friday (12/19/08) from 7:00 to 9:00. Mr. Bill Tapia (who is turning 101 January 1, 2009) will be joining them along with guests.

DON'T MISS THIS SPECIAL FREE CHRISTMAS SHOW.

"The Smokin' Menehunes play the swinging jazz songs of the golden age of Hawaiian music. Imagine yourself sitting beneath the banyon tree at the old Moana Hotel in Waikiki in the 1940's and sipping on a mai tai as the Smokin' Menehunes ignite all the songs that made that era memorable."

See their Myspace page here: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=177595352

This is a fun, family-friendly venue freeway close in the heart of Orange County.

Catalina Fish Kitchen
19171 Magnolia St (about a mile south of the 405)
Huntington Beach, CA 92646
(714) 963-9921

The place will be packed...I suggest getting there early enough!

There is a huge, regular non-tiki central crowd that usually shows up...including all of Pat and Bill's ukelele club members, students and friends, as well as Bill the owner's surf buddies (who enjoy real Hawaiian music with no gimmicks), and of course Pat's wife's beautiful retired airline stews!!

Seeing Bill Tapia play is worth coming for. It's not certain how much longer we will have him playing with us(he is turning 101-do the math) but this guy is not just some old dude basking in his glory days. He still plays GREAT. Every note counts with him.

We may even have a little rascal again.

And if I am not mistaken, there will be a special guest appearance by the "Moai Mafia" playing their ukes!!!

This is a family event...so it's cool for kids to come.

Direct link to the Smokin' Menehunes' MS Page:

http://www.myspace.com/thesmokinmenehunes

Unfortunately I'm going to be working Friday Night and can't make it to see Uncle Bill Tapia again. :(

Is it Friday yet???????????

Also don't forget the special appearence by the "Paradise Dancers". Oh what a night!

CJ

What's the Catalina Fish Kitchen like? Good food? Decor? Drinks? I need some more talking into...the band sounds amazing.

[ Edited by: Coco Joe 2008-12-17 17:51 ]

Joe,

The Kitchen is a normal smaller strip mall type eatery, Mostly a surf style decor, and the food is great. As for drinks you got soda, beer, and wine. Seats about 50-60ish, the Christmas show usually packs da house and you never know what special guests will show up and join the act.

CJ

I was just looking at their menu and the Ono Gumbo sounds great. I'll try and get out there.

if yer going, try to get there at 6:30 ish.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

TM

Bill the Owner usually makes some plates for us after we are finished. They are the Ono (with BBQ sauce) rice, mixed veggies and a salad. Very good!

The Location: If you can find the rock club Fitzgeralds, it's in the same strip mall.

next to a new big home depot...

WoooHooooo! It's FINALLY Friday. Hope to see everyone at The Catalina Fish Kitchen tonight :)

I had a blast last night! Bill Tapia is amazing... when I'm almost 101, I want to be strumming the ukulele and singing like him! The Smoking Menehunes were very enjoyable with great stories mixed in, the perfect way to just relax after a week of work. As the song went, keep your eyes on their hands... and the dancers' moves were quite mesmerizing, great job girls! What can I say about the Mofia getting up there and playing, too?! You guys are so money! (Speaking of being money, after I was in need of a tiki cocktail, so I hit the Tiki-Ti for a hot buttered rum... they were playing Swingers on the TV... last night was so money!)

The Moai Mafia's Debut

TM

They were really quite good!!

Thats so freakin cool!! Way to go Soccer Tiki and Hinano Paul!!

TM

Funny thing is, those are not Ukeleles...they are regular, full size guitars!

TM

Next time we are at the kitchen, we are getting Kimbo Slice and Tank Abbott to sit in with us.....

T

On 2008-12-23 13:54, lucas vigor wrote:
Funny thing is, those are not Ukeleles...they are regular, full size guitars!

LOL !!!

Damn, Soccer and Hinano Paul...awesome !

I need to move closer to OC !

GT

Very Cool My Friends, Sorry I missed it, Cheers! Gogo

cool deal guys,
sorry I missed that.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Pages: 1 22 replies