Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

trader vic's chicago

Pages: 1 0 replies

T

If you build it they will come. We sure did!

The new Trader Vic's is now open in Chicago. And believe me, the long wait was well worth it.

To start things off, the drinks were top notch. I had three Mai Tais. They were all expertly prepared by bartenders who were well versed in the Trader's mixology. They definitely took great care in the preparation.

After a few cocktails we were seated in the dining room. The dining room features a wood fired oven enclosed with glass. You can watch their chef as he prepares the meats. The meats, fowl or seafood are suspended from hooks and slowly cooked. It goes without saying that the food was delicious. I had the 9 Spice Half Chicken. It was garnished with a seasoned potato hash. My two companions had the Trader's filet mignon and the Mahi Mahi. Again, all of the meals were outstanding. We were all very impressed.

It looks like the restaurant is about 95% completed. They're still finishing the ceiling and there's a party/overflow room which is not done yet. There's also a small atrium that you can see from inside the bar. The manager said they will be adding more tropical plants to that area over time.

The only minor complaint I had were the two television sets in the bar. But I suppose in the 21st century, that's a business necessity for most bars. Personally, I think the place could do without them. They detract somewhat from what otherwise is the escapism theme of the business.

All in all, the staff was very friendly and eager to please. I will be back again soon.

TIP: When visiting the restaurant, make sure to park in the adjacent public parking garage. It's in the same building. You'll save yourself $20 as Trader Vic's will validate your parking stub.

Here's some photos from our visit:

Pages: 1 0 replies