Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Spanish Tiki mugs

Pages: 1 27 replies

Here are a trio of rather blurry photos of Tiki mugs found at the Kahala in Barcelona, Spain. For the most part, these represent the common mugs found in Spain, though each bar will have their own unique selection. Not all bars have these mugs, though. The Mauna Loa in Madrid has a 100% different selection.

You can probably pick out some more mugs from the Aloha bar in my main Barcelona thread if you're really interested.

Trader Woody

i like some of those...could you get a hold of em and ship over to the U.S.?

Errr, no.
These were taken on a short vacation a couple of weeks ago and I live many hundreds of miles away from them. Sorry!

Trader Woody

[ Edited by: Trader Woody on 2003-03-21 14:41 ]

wow!
Those are pretty cool looking!
That hula bowl looks wild!
More pics!!!

M

Tiki prospector midnite glances at the pics and rubs his eyes, a revelation hits his rum-addled mind. He shouts:

"Thar's GOLD, Ebay-gold that is, in them there shelves!"

He then proceeds to check Orbitz for aifare to Spain....hmmm, is it cost-efective to travel with his mule?

Leave the mule, take the cannoli,
midnite

Well, I met a couple of Geordies (men from Newcastle)in a tobacconist's buying truly VAST amounts of cigarettes to sell back in the UK. (They cost about three times as much over here). Not only did they pay for their trip to Barcelona, they made serious money too.

I've no doubt that it would be a similar scenario with these mugs and eBay. Saying that, these mugs are heavy buggers and the lazy smuggler would find life a lot easier just bringing back tobacco.

Trader Woody
PS. I'd have to first get the entire range for myself before getting hold of doubles for sale or trade....

On 2003-03-21 16:24, Trader Woody wrote:
Well, I met a couple of Geordies (men from Newcastle)in a tobacconist's buying truly VAST amounts of cigarettes to sell back in the UK. (They cost about three times as much over here).

Is that legal?

--cyn

Being in the EEC, you can take back as much cigarettes and booze from mainland Europe that you can prove are for your own use. These guys had very large suitcases full of many cartons of cigarettes, so they would have been busted if caught.
The law is incredibly vague, though. 4 or 5 cartons of 10x packs probably would get through, but 10 cartons probably wouldn't.
It's a fuzzy law.

Hell, I still can't work out if smoking pot is legal/semi-legal/or illegal. You'd think they would give us a clue!

Trader Woody

M

Cigarettes, Tiki mugs, cat toys...whatever. If it'll bring a hefty profit this capitalist is all over it. Heh heh.

Always wanted to visit Spain too. Take in a bullfight...(is Franco still dead?).

On a related note I heard Otto brought a bunch of mugs back from a trip to Spain. Those are some neat mugs.

I saw "Midnight Express"...
midnite

holy crap- I've never seen so many unseen mugs in one place- those are almost all undocumented!

Frikkin CRAZY! This hobby will be the death of me... 15 mugs I don't have.. 15 mugs I don't have 15 mugs I don't have 15 mugs I don't have 15 mugs I don't have 15 mugs I don't have...

Breathe, man, breathe! Hold on! Bones, we're losing him!!!

:D

I think a field trip to Spain is in order. We've done the Tiki Bus, maybe it's time for the Tiki Cruise Ship.

We could play at pirates in our spare time...

AARRRGGGHH,

Lisa

From a post Trader Woody made last year. These Spanish mugs at the Hula Hula really make me salivate. Don't look, Fatuhiva!

http://www.hula-hula.com/cocktails.htm

God, I want that monkey mug!

Sabu

Sabu,

I've drunk from that monkey!

Now that's a phrase you don't get to say every day.

(Monkey mugs - 16 Euros at the Kahiki)

Trader Woody

Must...have...MONKEY!!!

In which city is the Kahiki that has that cuuuuuute little feller? I now have a Quest this summer in Spain: The Holy (Monkey) Grail!

F

Seriously, who wants me to hire them to go get me all these mugs?

Hey Fatuhiva, email me (seriously)!

C

Do you pay by the mile or the mug?

Forget it, I'll go.

I shot you an email-

If anyone is going to be in the area of these Spanish tiki spots, or live close enough to go on a hired trip to collect these specimens and send them back to me, let me know- I simply... must ... have

The Kahiki is another Tiki Bar in Barcelona. I hadn't my camera with me for that one, but Tiki Chris took some photos of it which he shared a couple of months back.

I'm heading to Benidorm in November, which is a 100 miles or so away from Barcelona (I think....), so I might be persuaded to take a detour......

Trader Woody

Nice one Woody! Thanks for giving the European tiki scene new discoveries with every holiday you take. I'm about to send you some pictures from the Kona Kai in Athens. Seems like Spain will be my next trip!

C

Oh Boy! - I'll be in Athens in late May for 1 night on my way to Santorini for vacation - I'm going to have to visit the Kona Kai in Athens.....then on the way home we spend 3 days in London - Trader Vic's here we come!

Does anyone have any other "can't miss" tiki spots in London?

I just posted this photo in a thread about the Mai Tai Bar in Benidorm, Spain, but thought it might be of interest to those into Spanish mugs. These were not for sale (or even use in the bar) but give a great idea of some of the Spanish mugs out there.

Trader Woody

Trader Woody,
Thanks for the pics! these mugs are great. I saw a few of these Spanish type mugs on Ebay - awhile ago. I take it that they were not for sale? thanks!

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2012-05-01 20:13 ]

Guys, I have my first shipment of mugs coming from the manufacturer. There are ten designs, and I will order different ones next time.

Unfortunately they are not only expensive to begin with, but the shipping also almost doubled my cost. Because this is supposed to be my first money making Tiki endeavour, I cannot let them go for any less than around 50.- bucks, sorry. I also will put them on e-bay first to get my initial investment back pronto, and then can sell some to TCers who can afford such unique X-mas gifts (for themselves or others).

I will do a seperate post as soon as I am set up to go into business...

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Aug 7, 2008 3:42 PM

Aloha everyone!

Trader Woody, Felicidades for your pioneering field work in Spain back in 2003. You did a great job! I would like to see some of your pictures...

Everyone:
If you are looking for VINTAGE Spanish Tiki mugs... Contact me. Trade or sell. (preferably trade) I live in Madrid but fly often to Boston.

P.S. Bigbrotiki doesn't sell them anymore and mine are VINTAGE anyway... different (mystery) manufacturer. Older, bigger and better. Serious collectors only.

Mahalo!

Long live Spanish Tiki Culture!

Z

what mug was used to the suffering bastard in spain?

Pages: 1 27 replies