Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

The Hula Girls! Alex's Bar in Long Beach (now with PICTURES!)

Pages: 1 27 replies

That's right folks, we're really excited to announce that we are going to be opening for country legend Wayne 'the Train' Hancock as well as one of MY local favorites, Russell Scott and his Red Hots... It all goes down at Alex's Bar in Long Beach on the 20th of December. Be sure to make the scene.

http://www.alexsbar.com/feature/2008/11/sat_dec_20_2008.php

Spike
http://www.myspace.com/thehulagirlsband

[ Edited by: luckydesigns 2008-12-22 15:09 ]

I'm there,
who's up for Roscoes chicken and Waffles before hand?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

WoooHooo! Can't wait :)

I'm gonna swing by Kona at 4 then head up to the show after.
If anybody wants to join me.

Rumor has it that the Hula Girls will play 9:00 :)

sorry I didn't make it Fri or Sat guys I was in a humbug mood and got a headache after having a super sweet drink at Kona.

I will be at the Redwood bar show.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

I snuck out of the house for an hour or so for the show...you guys were great! Not sure if the Alex's crowd knew what to make of it, but they seemed more into it than usual for an opening act. And I even managed to score a T-shirt!

TM

Despite some minor sound glitches in the bass dept (somewhat fixed by Russell Scott himself) the show was great. Wayne the Train and Russell Scott are just about the nicest people you will ever meet, and excellent, excellent musicians.
The Hula Girls band debuted many new songs, and it went over pretty well. Rockabilly crowds make for a tough audience, as they all seem to know a lot about what sounds good, but they sure liked us...

Next week we are playing with Hotrod Lincoln and a few others at the Redwood in LA...hope to see many TC people there.

Yeah, Jason, I heard that someone bought a tee shirt... I'm glad to hear that it was you. You need to be sure to introduce yourself next time!

I thought the show went amazingly well. For our strange mix of Tiki/ Hawaiiana and rockabilly, we were received really well. Hell, for being an opening band, we were received really well. As Jason said, although a lot of the rockabillies didn't really know what to make of us, I was surprised that everyone was really digging it. I think we're onto something here..... As we faze out more and more of the instrumentals from our set, I think more and more people will get hip to it.

Russ and his band and Wayne and his band were all so gracious and supportive to our deal. All super rad people.... and they both played great as always...
I really hope the show with Hot Rod Lincoln goes as well as this one did! Hope to see you all there.

More pics from the show on our mySpace page.

TM

T

On 2008-12-22 15:03, Luckydesigns wrote:
As Jason said, although a lot of the rockabillies didn't really know what to make of us, I was surprised that everyone was really digging it. I think we're onto something here..... As we faze out more and more of the instrumentals from our set, I think more and more people will get hip to it.

I don't get it...what's to be confused about. You'd have to be pretty damn close minded to not "know what to make" of you guys.

It was pretty evident to me what you guys were about. A mix of Rockabilly, Hawaiian Swing, a little Surf and tiki culture.

Cool stuff...nothing to figure out, not for me anyway. :)

TM

Well, the Rockabilly scene can get a little "monochromatic" at times..there is an established look, sound and style, and we don't actually fit it to a T. (especially myself)
But, we have a Gretsch guitar and upright bass with slappin'..to me it's close enough. I happen to love rockabilly and have actually played it all my life. Don't care much for Psychobilly, though, That's just punk rock/speed metal with an upright bass.

On 2008-12-22 15:47, tikiyaki wrote:

As Jason said, although a lot of the rockabillies didn't really know what to make of us, I was surprised that everyone was really digging it. I think we're onto something here..... As we faze out more and more of the instrumentals from our set, I think more and more people will get hip to it.

I don't get it...what's to be confused about. You'd have to be pretty damn close minded to not "know what to make" of you guys.

It was pretty evident to me what you guys were about. A mix of Rockabilly, Hawaiian Swing, a little Surf and tiki culture.

Fellas, I LOVE your sound! Whatever you call it, there's nothin' like it anywhere, and it just works. The combination of influences is what makes it so cool. Wasn't able to make this one but I will surely catch you on the flip, cats!

damn I'm bummed I missed this show.
I was even on my way,
what the hell is wrong with me?
sorry guys.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

I missed the show... but read this thread with great interest.

I think it's cool that Hula Girls opened for Wayne Hancock. And, just for the record... Wayne's not 'rockabilly' either. He's straight up Honky Tonk. I'm sure if Russell Scott was there for The Hula Girls set, he loved it. He's been playing Rockabilly/Roots music for as long as I can remember... but he has a very open mind (or ears) when it comes to music outside that genre. I'm sure Wayne and his band loved it as well... seeing as how Hawaiian music and Western Swing/Honky Tonk are so closely related.

Here's another thing... the crowd at Alexs Bar is always stuck up. It always has been. Unless you are a well known punk band or emo band... it's hard to win the crowd over. That's why Alex hasn't had any Rockabilly/Roots music there in years! For some reason the people who frequent that bar think they're the 'say all' in what's cool for music. Boy are they jaded.... :wink:

As a member of the 'Rockabilly scene' (not something I like to claim; although I do play in one of the nations biggest RAB band...) I've got to completely agree with Tikiyaki and Lucas' comments. Alot of the folks into Rockabilly don't know much more than the Psychobilly and 'Neo' Rockabilly around here. They think it's all about the hair, cuffed jeans, leather, hot rods, and attitude. Talk about jaded... those are the one's you really don't want to like your band anyways. They usually bring nothing but trouble and bad vibes.

I like what The Hula Girls are doing. It's a great new take on Rockabilly and Hawaiiana music!

If the so-called "Rockabillies" that where there that night couldn't understand the Aloha shirts with the Billy influence.... fuck 'em. Keep playing at Hillbilly Jeff's Brunch shows... the people who attend those shows are the ones who know and appreciate good music anyways...

TM

Thanks for your kind words, Dartin.

You know, one of the next places we want to play will be Linda's doll hut...but we need other bands with us for a gig like that...any ideas? It would be nice to put something together, a themed night for Hulabilly and exotica.....

On 2008-12-24 07:31, Dartin Menny wrote:

I missed the show... but read this thread with great interest.

I think it's cool that Hula Girls opened for Wayne Hancock. And, just for the record... Wayne's not 'rockabilly' either. He's straight up Honky Tonk. I'm sure if Russell Scott was there for The Hula Girls set, he loved it. He's been playing Rockabilly/Roots music for as long as I can remember... but he has a very open mind (or ears) when it comes to music outside that genre. I'm sure Wayne and his band loved it as well... seeing as how Hawaiian music and Western Swing/Honky Tonk are so closely related.

Here's another thing... the crowd at Alexs Bar is always stuck up. It always has been. Unless you are a well known punk band or emo band... it's hard to win the crowd over. That's why Alex hasn't had any Rockabilly/Roots music there in years! For some reason the people who frequent that bar think they're the 'say all' in what's cool for music. Boy are they jaded.... :wink:

As a member of the 'Rockabilly scene' (not something I like to claim; although I do play in one of the nations biggest RAB band...) I've got to completely agree with Tikiyaki and Lucas' comments. Alot of the folks into Rockabilly don't know much more than the Psychobilly and 'Neo' Rockabilly around here. They think it's all about the hair, cuffed jeans, leather, hot rods, and attitude. Talk about jaded... those are the one's you really don't want to like your band anyways. They usually bring nothing but trouble and bad vibes.

I like what The Hula Girls are doing. It's a great new take on Rockabilly and Hawaiiana music!

If the so-called "Rockabillies" that where there that night couldn't understand the Aloha shirts with the Billy influence.... fuck 'em. Keep playing at Hillbilly Jeff's Brunch shows... the people who attend those shows are the ones who know and appreciate good music anyways...

Well put! My comment had nothing to do with the rockabilly scene in general, it was totally directed to the Alex's Bar crowd. Don't get me wrong, Alex's is my favorite "non-tiki" bar in the world, but yeah, "stuck up" is a kind way to describe a lot of the people that frequent the place. There's a big number of that crowd that would be there Saturday night at 9:30 no matter who was playing. (I know, I used to be one of 'em!) Anyways, great show again guys..see ya on the 4th at the Redwood!

On 2008-12-24 08:31, lucas vigor wrote:

You know, one of the next places we want to play will be Linda's doll hut...but we need other bands with us for a gig like that...any ideas? It would be nice to put something together, a themed night for Hulabilly and exotica.....

Lucas... the Doll Hut is a hard one as well these days. The locals there are ... well... they aren't what they used to be.

I know Exotiki would love to be part of what you guys throw together. It just has to be when I'm in town and not booked with my other band :wink:

Lately, I've been diggin' the shows that have more than just one genre of music for the night. It helps broaden people's taste of music. Someone who is totally into blues or rockabilly could be changed for life by hearing your band for the first time, or vise versa.

You should dig up Skeeter Truck to play the Hut with you guys! :)

[ Edited by: Dartin Menny 2008-12-24 11:34 ]

Yeah, I've been around that bar a bunch too (Alex is a friend of mine through his lead singer in Los Mysteriosos) and I know how the crowd can be. That's why I was so surprised that we got a pretty damn great reception. I kept hearing it from people as I was cruising around the place, either when I was loading my car up or grabbing a fresh drink at the bar...
Russ and his band came up to me and said how much they loved the show. That meant a ton, coming from a guy that I used to go PAY to see on Wed nights at the Doll Hut, back when Twisty was in the band and Linda owned the Hut.... I think Wayne might have caught the end of our set. They went back to their hotel after they loaded in.... They were super supportive too....

I agree about the mixing genres thing at shows. It makes the show so much more interesting. I really want to put together a show at the Purple Orchid with us, maybe a surf band, a rockabilly band, and/ or a country band. I think that would be really cool.

Again, I think the Alex's show went great. I'm stoked that the crowd was as receptive as they were.....even if some of them didn't know what to make of it.... That makes me even more stoked! ....broadenining horizons....

On 2008-12-24 11:33, Dartin Menny wrote:

On 2008-12-24 08:31, lucas vigor wrote:

Lucas... the Doll Hut is a hard one as well these days. The locals there are ... well... they aren't what they used to be.

I know Exotiki would love to be part of what you guys throw together. It just has to be when I'm in town and not booked with my other band :wink:

Lately, I've been diggin' the shows that have more than just one genre of music for the night. It helps broaden people's taste of music. Someone who is totally into blues or rockabilly could be changed for life by hearing your band for the first time, or vise versa.

You should dig up Skeeter Truck to play the Hut with you guys! :)

[ Edited by: Dartin Menny 2008-12-24 11:34 ]

Oh yeah! Skeeter truck rocks! I have their CD. I love how the guy plays all those exotic guitars like the cuban quatro....I actually saw them at the dollhut once!

On 2008-12-24 12:25, Luckydesigns wrote:
Yeah, I've been around that bar a bunch too (Alex is a friend of mine through his lead singer in Los Mysteriosos)

Yep... El Mysterioso (aka G.C) is a good buddy of mine ... You guys should put on a show with them! Talk about a diverse line up....

Lucas... do you still keep in touch with Brad? I wonder if Skeeter Truck is still playing. I think you and I met for the first time at that Doll Hut gig. I was the bassist in Brian Jay & the Last Call Boys (the drummerless RAB trio)... that was the after-Hootenanny party right?

[ Edited by: Dartin Menny 2008-12-24 12:48 ]

On 2008-12-24 12:47, Dartin Menny wrote:

On 2008-12-24 12:25, Luckydesigns wrote:
Yeah, I've been around that bar a bunch too (Alex is a friend of mine through his lead singer in Los Mysteriosos)

Yep... El Mysterioso (aka G.C) is a good buddy of mine ... You guys should put on a show with them! Talk about a diverse line up....

Lucas... do you still keep in touch with Brad? I wonder if Skeeter Truck is still playing. I think you and I met for the first time at that Doll Hut gig. I was the bassist in Brian Jay & the Last Call Boys (the drummerless RAB trio)... that was the after-Hootenanny party right?

[ Edited by: Dartin Menny 2008-12-24 12:48 ]

Yes, it was! And we probably did meet then. My friend David Lopez clued me into that gig, and I usually like to go to the hut for the after party of either the NAMM show or the after party for hootenanny...last time I fell into a nice long conversation with Johnny Hatton (great guy!)....brad is sluggo, right? Or am I mixing people up?

As I recall, I was deeply impressed by Brian Jay...and as I recall, your bass playing was absolutely awesome!

....brad is sluggo, right? Or am I mixing people up?

Sluggo is Brad...or the other way around....

Off the subject, but what kind of a pickup do you use?

On 2008-12-26 10:37, lucas vigor wrote:
Off the subject, but what kind of a pickup do you use?

I use an Underwood pick up. No pre amp.

The Underwood has two pick ups, one for each side of the bridge, and I only use the one on my treble side (D/G string side). The other side just hangs loose...

I think I am going to have to get one. The K and K system is just not working out for me anymore. Not at high volumes, at least.

I highly suggest it if you want a more natural tone of the bass.

K&K's are good, but I've found them to be very bright sounding and they are prone to feedback.

Underwood's are pretty cheap for a pick up.. about $150.

Keep me posted

TM

On 2008-12-26 12:49, Dartin Menny wrote:

K&K's are good, but I've found them to be very bright sounding and they are prone to feedback.

Exactly my problem. I can't get my amp up to a decent level without it starting to feedback, and as you well know, a lot of venues have small stages where you have no choice but to be very close to your amp..thanx for the advice. The Underwood it will be.

Pages: 1 27 replies