Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Exotica Christmas Song Favorites List....

Pages: 1 5 replies

Q

I was trying to think of some Christmas songs in the classic exotica genre (not including surf music or traditional Hawaiian renditions necessarily) and could only come up with a couple of Martin Denny tunes off the top of my head:

Exotic Night - from Ultra Lounge: Christmas Cocktails Part 2
Favorite Things - from Ultra Lounge Best of Christmas (?)

Anybody have any other nominations?

Well there is the Arthur Lyman Xmas album. I love his version of "Mary's Boy Child" and have included it on various Xmas comps I've made over the years.

Edit: It was released on CD in the 1990s under the title "With a Christmas Vibe."

[ Edited by: OnyaBirri 2008-12-19 13:22 ]

[ Edited by: OnyaBirri 2008-12-19 14:59 ]

D

Seriously, there are the 2 Denny tunes and the Lyman Christmas album "Mele Kalikimaka" also renamed "Christmas Vibes" for CD and that is it. There a number of Hawaiian Christmas albums, but as for exotica, it seems that Lyman was the only one who did a full Christmas album.

Check out the Quiet Village Podcast (thread here on TC). There is a Christmas episode featuring Hawaiian Christmas tunes as well as the Denny and trax from the Lyman album.

Which LP or CD is "My Favorite Things" on? It's not on any of my Martin Denny LPs, although with him I generally check out somewhere around "A Taste of Honey." I have three of the Ultra Lounge Xmas CDs but it's not on those either.

Denny's version of "My Favorite Things" is on the Ultra Lounge: Best of Christmas Cocktails CD which I don't own either. I suspect it was a previously unreleased track, but don't hold me to it.

On 2008-12-22 11:23, quickiki wrote:
Denny's version of "My Favorite Things" is on the Ultra Lounge: Best of Christmas Cocktails CD which I don't own either. I suspect it was a previously unreleased track, but don't hold me to it.

You are correct!! It is an unreleased track and only available on the "Best of Christmas Cocktails" CD.

Damn, I hate to buy the CD for one track. Somebody please post this somewhere.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Pages: 1 5 replies