Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

What did they do to Trader Vics Tom & Jerry Batter?!

Pages: 1 1 replies

I just bought a jar of Trader Vics Tom & Jerry Batter to make more Christmas coffee drinks and besides selling it in a slighly smaller jar at a higher price, they've gone and changed the recipe. I have a jar of the kind they were selling up until last year and it tastes so much more refined. The old ingredients were of a greater mix and used real sugar. The new stuff has less stuff and uses corn syrup! It tastes like something you put on your ice cream sundae, not something to make a nice hot toddy with. What is with that company? How much money can they be saving on a small jar of sugar goo to make it worth screwing up a great product? Has anyone else tried the old and new batter for comparison?

[ Edited by: Beachcomber 2008-12-19 16:51 ]

Tom & Jerry batter made with corn syrup? Ugh. If you're interested in making your own batter, here's the recipe that's been in my family since before I was born. In fact, I just got done whipping up a batch for tonight.

Tom & Jerry's

Ingredients:

4-5 eggs, separated
1 lb. box of powdered sugar
8 oz. jar marshmallow creme
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Rum
Brandy
Ground cinnamon
Ground nutmeg
Boiling water
Cinnamon sticks (optional)

Directions:

1. Beat 4-5 egg yolks* and add powdered sugar a little at a time, until mixture is thick. It will be very lumpy and dry and difficult to mix.

2. In separate bowl, beat egg whites on fastest setting until dry. The egg whites are ready when you can tip the mixing bowl on its side, and they do not slide out of the bowl.

3. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold egg whites into yolk-sugar mixture. DO NOT USE A MIXER OR BLENDER. This has to be done by hand, even though it's a pain in the ass.

4. Add marshmallow creme and vanilla. Fold into mixture.

When ready, the mix will still be somewhat lumpy.

To serve:

1. In a large mug, scoop 2 (or more) heaping tablespoons of batter.

2. Add 1 oz. rum and 1 oz. brandy.

3. Fill mug with boiling water and stir to dissolve batter until a froth forms at the top.

4. Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg. May garnish with cinnamon stick.

*The recipe I have officially calls for 4 egg yolks, but the resulting mixture seems too dry. You can try with 4 and add a fifth egg yolk if necessary to all the yolk-sugar mixture to blend.

[ Edited by: Austin_Tiki 2009-01-06 12:28 ]

Pages: 1 1 replies