Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tropical themed aquarium taking shape

Pages: 1 8 replies

B

Hey everyone.
I've been working on this for quite some time now but I've gotten to a point where I'm comfortable to share it.

I've always wanted to build a tropical themed aquarium. A year or so ago I finally decided it - now or never. So,like Richard Dreyfus in "Close Encounters" I just drew it up and did it. Didnt care what happened, as along as it did. So far it's been a fun ride. The outside is basically finished so what I need to do the canopy then start putting the inside together. Hopefully sometime in the next year I can finish the project but the economy will determine that.

The project is over on Monsterfishkeepers.com in the DIY section under 206g Plywood Tank, page 13:
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143924&page=13

The thread is long but technical folk will probably enjoy the read.

Thanx.

Wow that really incredible. I've heard of plywood tanks but never seen how they are made.

Looks great Buckdog, can't wait to see it full of fish. Here's a pic in case we loose the link later.
As I understand it, the black plywood is an attachment point for a removable decorative frame that surrounds the tank. The black gets covered by the light colored bamboo that's hiding behind the tank (lower left). Then you can switch out the frame if you ever want another "theme". Right?

There are those few who learn from observation. The rest of us need to piss on the electric fence and find out for ourselves.

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2008-12-22 08:38 ]

S

Gonna be sweet!!

B

On 2008-12-22 07:16, MadDogMike wrote:
Looks great Buckdog, can't wait to see it full of fish. Here's a pic in case we loose the link later.
As I understand it, the black plywood is an attachment point for a removable decorative frame that surrounds the tank. The black gets covered by the light colored bamboo that's hiding behind the tank (lower left). Then you can switch out the frame if you ever want another "theme". Right?

There are those few who learn from observation. The rest of us need to piss on the electric fence and find out for ourselves.

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2008-12-22 08:38 ]

Thanx MadDog.
Almost. The black ply that you see is actually one of two "skins". The one on the floor is the other "skin". In the first pic you can see most of the tank. It's wood covered in fiberglass. This is the base that the skins are attached to. And yes the intention is to be able to change out the frames to change the theme.

B

On 2008-12-22 17:24, sungod wrote:
Gonna be sweet!!

Thanx. Sure hope so!

B

On 2008-12-22 02:05, johnnievelour wrote:
Wow that really incredible. I've heard of plywood tanks but never seen how they are made.

Thanx.
I hope this is one of many.

Maybe try one of these aquariums next?

B

On 2008-12-23 17:56, Tiki Shaker wrote:
Maybe try one of these aquariums next?

My uncle had one of those aquariums in his living room back in the 70's - early 90's.
They're great but they drive the fish nuts because every time you bump it or set down a glass it amplifies the sound in the water. If you use goldfish they need 20 gallons per fish to stay healthy.

However, you have given me an idea for a coffee table. Hmmm...

Pages: 1 8 replies