Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

January Chop -THIS Sunday the 4th in Vista!

Pages: 1 43 replies

Christmas is over, January is almost here, and I'm thinkin about a chop! When and where?
I'll offer up my new place if that's cool... 8)

Sunday, Jan 4, at my new place in Vista.

[ Edited by: 4WDtiki 2008-12-30 18:03 ]

B

The weekends of Jan 17th, and Jan 24th I'm not going to be available.
Otherwise, BRING IT!

Unfortunately, the 3rd and the 4th are the only days that work for me in January.

How far from your old pad is your new one, Bill?

Early January is good. We've got a lot going on in late Jan. and the Mods Vs. Rockers run is the 24th and 25th.

New place is 8 miles east of the old place. I'm right by Guajome Regional Park, if you know where that is.

I'm gone to the desert the weekend of the 17th, so that leaves the 3-4, 10-11, 24-25, and 31-1.

B

Count me in for whenever Bill...YAY! Chops at Wheelers new COSA! Wooo Hoooo!

Hmm, is the 3rd or 4th too short notice? That's this weekend! Seems like the date works for all...
Or we could do next weekend, the 10th or 11th.

Babs, I can have a table (or two) for clay. We have a sink in the backyard for cleanup, and you can check out what's in the garage, an electric wheel, and a disassembled kiln!

B

Hey Bill,

Yeah, instead of carving, I may have to work on some clay stuff at this Chop too. I'm beginning to miss carving...

Dude! It sounds like you are so set! A kiln...A WHEEL! Is the motor on the wheel good?...does it work? Even though I most certainly do NOT throw well, it would still be fun to dick around on it some with you. Let's get your kiln up and going :)

Man, it sounds like you are totally set up for some "major" rama lama choppin' mud jamas!

Happy New Year Everyone!

A chop at Bill’s is a good way to start off the new year. But Saturday is the Charger game. Sunday might be better for the football fans. We can bring food (musubi and or smoked marlin dip). We want to see Bill’s new place!

Diana & Bill

B

Either weekend is okay with me. A kiln and throwing wheel! You've got the makings for a Clay Jam Studio Del Norte!! :)

If we go with this weekend, I like Sunday better, too. Chargers on Saturday, even though it's a 5PM game.

So is this weekend too soon? Should we do it the 10/11th?
Votes, please.

What is the "The Chargers" thing you all keep talking about? I know not of what you speak.

I vote for this coming Sunday.

P

Hi Bill,

I'm new at the chops. I enjoyed that last chop at Meiko's place, and I met a few of you there. It was a good time. It's really inspirational to see the talent and variety all together in one place. Ellen was particularly charged up by the folks she met, and has been filing her notebook with tiki designs for weeks.

I'm committed to something else on the 11th, but the 10th sounds good. Or this weekend, either day, the 3rd or the 4th.

M
mieko posted on Tue, Dec 30, 2008 5:46 PM

I like the 4th, especially if Kate can make it.

Mieko

Looks like everybody can do the 4th, so this Sunday it is!

There will be TV available for anyone who needs to keep up on either of the playoff games.

I'll PM my address to everybody who's posted here so far. Anyone else, just PM me.

This'll be the usual time, 9ish til dark. Bring food if you can.

this sunday sounds good too me!

PMs sent to all.

Anyone else coming?

Will that be Spam Musubi? I haven't made a chop yet because they seem to end up on a weekend when I work :( Well, maybe February :)

S

Hey all,

I need to make it out to one of these at some point but I don't think this Sun. will work for me. I'm new to all of this and want to get together with some people that know what they are doing and learn some things. I've spent a lot of time here on TC looking at the carving forums, getting ideas, saving images, etc., just haven't done too much carving. Hope everyone has a good time and hope to meet up with you all soon.

BTW, if I am able to make it, what does everyone usually bring?

Cheers.

Wife works Sat nite to Sun morn, can't do it. Have fun, take pics!

On 2008-12-28 12:54, Babalu wrote:
Count me in for whenever Bill...YAY! Chops at Wheelers new COSA! Wooo Hoooo!

Hey, Babalaba-doo, can I carpool with you? I'm bringing all my shoes and glasses.

B

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
just got back from az and bought a cold with me
will try to make it
pm me directions bill

JT

I'm in.

On 2009-01-03 00:25, jab tiki wrote:
I'm in.

SWEET!! I'll bring my Menudo records!!

B
Babalu posted on Sat, Jan 3, 2009 4:50 PM

You know what...It does not look like I'm going to be able to make this one :(

I totally did the Jethro calculation (knot over knot) on how long it was going to take me to paint my house and (go figure) I was off...I have so much cut work to go yet. Hell, I may have to take Monday off just to finish the trim??

Anyways, have fun...take pictures...Bill take some pictures of your kiln in parts...Sir B says he knows how to throw (again, go figure)- Hopefully, you have that wheel up a going? Sir B. - you might want to stop over before your drive down and pick up a little wet clay to center on that wheel...I have a bat pin you can get as well. Give me a ring.

Have FUN Choppers!

H

Would love to attend.

dont think ill be able to make this one either anymore, take pics and have fun!

JT

Sorry, I thought I was going to be able to make this one. I'm out. Billy don't bring the Menudo records.

Flat tire, slept late and crap that I have to get done before I return to work......damn damn damn.....have a great chop and takes lots of pictures!

Chargers suck.

On 2009-01-04 11:31, Clysdalle wrote:
Flat tire, slept late and crap that I have to get done before I return to work.....I suck.

Fixed it for ya! :lol:

Hurt my back this morning, man. Not going nowhere. Have fun, guys.

Slept in shit last night sorry can't make it. hehehe Sorry couldn't resist.

Couldn't make it because I'm in mourning today...

Somebody killed my motivation last night.

Buzzy Out!

Damn....I'm fired...missed another chop.

T

WOW! Did ANYBODY make it today? I thought I was the only one allowed to make excuses!!! Bill...did you make it??? (LOL) Somebody had to be there to take pics for those of us who had legitimate excuses!! Hey Cysdale, you're right, CHARGERS SUCK! GO CARDINALS!!!!!!

B
Bowana posted on Sun, Jan 4, 2009 6:57 PM

Wow! That has got to be the sorriest bunch of lame-butt excuses I've ever heard! :)

For those of us who did show up, it was a nice, low-key Chop. 4 Wheeler's new place is perfect. (Roosters and everything!)

Mieko working on another fab pendant carving.

Monkeyman and his carving deputy Lil' Monkeygirl (Derek and Penney)

Tiki-Kate attempting the always awkward "Subordinate Hand Carve" maneuver to get at a tricky spot for a lefty.

I spent my time re-acquainting myself with the throwing wheel. Stupid throwing wheel.

4WD assuming his signature sitting carving position.

Nice work youse guys!

Babalu, here's the kiln. We figured it must be a home made job of some kind. It didn't seem to be all there. (like some of us)

Thanks for hosting, Bill!

Bowie

T

Bill's new place is awesome! It was a great day. You all know how much I love a low-key Chop. I got more work done today than I have in ages.

Here's Monkeyman and Penny working on their Bumatay inspired piece.

Bowana cutting his wrists on the wheel. Ouch!

Penny and Ringo sharing some musubi.

B
Babalu posted on Sun, Jan 4, 2009 8:43 PM

Wow! Bill, your place looks amazing! You got's a pond thingy in the back yard too!

Bowana, your such a clay stud! It looks like you pulled some type of form up :)

Werd....don't paint anything red.

Sorry I missed gang. Next time I'll bring double the donuts.

Hey guys.......no excuses here, I'm hurt. Been down all day and I've got tons to do. Really bummed to have missed seeing Bills new pad, too....it looks killer.

Babs, the livingroom is lookin' good!

It's nice that everyone had a "low key" chop......has there ever been a "High key" chop?

On 2009-01-04 21:32, Billy the Crud wrote:
Hey guys.......no excuses here, I'm hurt. Been down all day and I've got tons to do. Really bummed to have missed seeing Bills new pad, too....it looks killer.

Babs, the livingroom is lookin' good!

It's nice that everyone had a "low key" chop......has there ever been a "High key" chop?

Looks like you need MAhalo Massage!

contact LLT aka Kinny and he'll fill you in.

Works for me!

G

Sorry I couldn't make it. I had a cold all weekend.

Yup, I won't miss the next chop...I've been working on smaller projects so no excuses for me....when where...I'm there!

H

Really stoked. When's this thing happening again?

P

Sorry I didn't make it; from the snapshots it looks like good fun.

Came down with a roaring ear-ache. Just got over the last of the infection about two hours ago.

Looks like this chop was plagued with no-show mishaps. Too bad for those of us who didn't get there. Hopefully, next time is a "go."

Pages: 1 43 replies