Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki Trav Finally Doing Some Carving!!! and some other stuff...

Pages: 1 31 replies

TT

Hi all, well since my move to the island i have really been wanting to carve but the resources are very limited here and all plant life is protected so i cant cut it down or carve it once dead, so I found some treated pine logs in a garden and stole some crappy cheap straight chisels from the maintenance dept and started carving.. It's a little Bosko-esque i know, but anyways.. this is the last 3 days progress doing a few hours after work after work....

[ Edited by: Tiki Trav 2009-02-05 17:45 ]

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jan 5, 2009 3:07 AM

'bout time you slung some chissels mate :D

Looking Good

MR

Great start Trav!

Ahhh looks like a comfy place to carve. Nice chops!

T

Looks great! Especially for just using straight chisels. Keep us posted!

TT

thanks folks, its great to have a place and the time to chill out and carve and i am really enjoying it, living here in the staff village there always curious people dropping by to check out the progress which is cool too..
will post more pics as i get further along...

S

Looking good for limited resources.

Carving on an island paradise? You lucky bastard! That's pretty damned good for your first tiki AND with straight chisels. Post more......and stear clear of those Box Jellyfish.

B

Lookin Great Trav, Don't be afrain to dig right in and get Deep cuts.

nice one trav , very cool lines, yeah dig in

BD

from what i could see on this p.o.s. monitor it looks good thought i can't make out very many details. keep chipping away. looking forward to more photos

bd

Trav...

You make a still yet?

TT

On 2009-01-31 19:52, RevBambooBen wrote:
Trav...

You make a still yet?

Funny you should mention that.... Have been thinking about it a lot over the last couple of weeks.... Island Moonshine!

TT

On 2009-01-31 19:51, big daddy wrote:
from what i could see on this p.o.s. monitor it looks good thought i can't make out very many details. keep chipping away. looking forward to more photos

bd

Is really not very detailed, tried to keep it simple as i knew it would be a chore with the crappy chisels.. gonna have to hit ebay and get some sent over...
More pics soon........

B

Yep, It's about time Trav, and it looks like you have a winner there. You have really dug the chissels in deep. You gonna finish him soon I Hope?

TT

ok so here are some pics of my tiki finished...
was quite a mission to carry him on my shoulder about a mile to the beach to get some pics....

BD

oh the suffering you must endure for your art. walk to that horrid beach, with all that sun in your eyes and that white sand between your toes only to stare at the blue water. i truly feel for you

now this is a beach i have to luxuriate in here in texas

it's usually a tad bit less rough, but hey we had a little windstorm that day. that's a good curl for galveston too.

bd

it looks rad trav! good job man

C

Holy shit.....look that this douche with his own f'in creative thread! About time you got something done besides a pile of butts and empty rum bottles. Kick ass!

MR

That thing looks pretty damn good. Nice , 'bout time you started doing something creative.

TT

Hey thanks guys,
BD, yeah it was a really horrible day and the water was all warm too,
I love how you turned one of those tikis into a light post,

I have been feeling really quite creative lately, been drawing, painting, carving, and constructing a new "theme environment in my room"... the best motivation now to keep carving is that this dickhead that shares my house absolutely hates me carving on the deck although my other housemates love to watch what i am creating.. so now i plan to carve as much as possible.. will keep you all up to date

Have actually spent a lot free nights and days off carving etc while everyone else is at the staff bar getting smashed which as most of you know, can be hard for me to say no to, but I don't wanna waste the opportunity to utilise the tranquility and inspiration that comes from living on a beautiful island, Clydesdale is a dick....lol

Ahhhhh Christ, we had a high of 18 degrees today.

TT

here's a couple more scratchins.....

T

Awesome stuff my friend and Benzart is right. Mo deeper, mo better ! And those drawings . Who knew you had any talent besides scraping bad paint jobs off old tikis . Now all you have to do is carve a balsa wood raft and get yo ass back here . Great work !

BD

nice scratchings.

S

Nice work Keep them flowing.

I cant get over the color on the Beach. Im so use to one color gray.

MR

Your use of color is naive. (hee hee)

TT

On 2009-02-06 18:43, Matt Reese wrote:
Your use of color is naive. (hee hee)

Thanks Matt,
Now that I think about it you are right, I will now re-think my artistic direction. :)

B

Man Trav, you ARE Showing a LOT of creative ability here, WOW, I Love the drawings, that lonley tiki by the hut is really cool and the Moai trying to row their canoe while holding the oar incorrectly should be Fun to watch but I LOVE that piece. You can hang it on MY Wall any day! The flower is way cool too.
Who knew you had it in'ya? :P :o :D

TT

Thanks Benz,
I think the painting should henceforth be known as "the Three Awkward Moai"....:)

Trav, you alive, man???????????

Pages: 1 31 replies