Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Lost Tiki Palaces of Detroit (book)

Pages: 1 4 replies

T

Another forthcoming book, but it seems like fiction.

The author, Michael Zadoorian, seems to have an interest in things like second-hand shops and the like. Maybe he will work in details about Chin Tiki and the like.

I read "Second Hand" by him. He seems like our kind of guy.

..it appears to be a book of short stories...i doubt it is a historical documentary...the sort of books with lots of pictures we like , anyway.

you can read excerpts from another book here containing the same story on Amazon. Just search inside the book for "tiki"

Z

Hey Tiki folk-
Thought I'd chime in. I'm Michael Zadoorian, author of THE LOST TIKI PALACES OF DETROIT. I saw some of your questions and can certainly answer them. It was kind of thrilling to find myself being discussed on Tiki Central.

Yes, the book is a collection of short fiction. No, it is not completely about tiki, but the title story does deal with the history of tiki in Detroit (as well as a few other things). Chin Tiki is mentioned, as well as the Trader Vic's and the amazing, short-lived Mauna Loa. There are definitely some other stories that would be of interest to thrifters, people who go to estate sales, and the like. I think a lot of folks that liked my other book, SECOND HAND, may very well like TIKI PALACES. Alas, no photographs, but the cover is pretty awesome, done by noted Detroit artist (and tiki lover) Glenn Barr. I think that should clear up any confusion. As much as I'd like to sell some copies, I don't want anyone buying it, thinking that it's all tiki, all the time. Still, if I may say so myself, I think it's a pretty good book and certainly worth checking out.

Okay, and while I'm here, I do have a new novel coming out on January 27th. It's called THE LEISURE SEEKER. It's a dark, funny, poignant novel about an older couple who travel America's most famous lost highway, Route 66, in their RV. Details at michaelzadoorian.com (or on Facebook). End of commercial.

Thanks for the interest.
Aloha,
Michael Z

Pages: 1 4 replies