Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Disappearing Photos.... Savage Renewal!

Pages: 1 9 replies

The disappearing and shrunken photos which are increasingly frequent on older posts beg the question "Why not refresh those red X's and thumbnails with a glamorous new TC hosted picture?", Lest we let the storied noble past of TC imagery slip forever beneath the sands of time.

ST

LT

I second that motion. I'd particularly be interested in seeing the photos in the Stockton Islander thread refreshed.

Here, here!

I would totally be willing to help out in a restoration project for the missing archives.

DC

T

I thought about saying something about the small pictures earlier today. I wanted to check out BK's thread which is almost 100 pages of tiny pictures. Some of the best stuff was during the red X / tiny shufferfly days. Would love to see all of Gecko's stuff restored. I have some of those pics saved.

I propose someone like BK just posting a full collection of pictures on Flickr and posting a link of it in his first post.

Problem is, many of those guys (or gals) do not frequent this site, or contribute to it on a regular basis anymore, so why should they put in the work. I greatly appreciate the restoration work that Sabu and Puamana have done on many (even if not on all) of their posts. Are there any old posts of mine that are in dire need of image refreshment?

Maybe if someone comes across one of those posts, list it on here. Then if one of us happens to have the images the original post talked about, or if we have something similar, we can at least put our images up instead. (especially if all it is is postcards or menus, etc.)

I saved the images from the "Heyday of Hawaiian Hotel Rooms" thread years ago.
I could post them there if the original posters do not mind...
Many of them are now missing.

I saved them all and made a slideshow for my mac as a screen saver. Martin Denny music and those hotel pix for a faux getaway...

Update:I contacted the original post-ers via pm...

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2009-01-12 09:17 ]

I guess the first step is to PM a request for restoration to the original photo post-er, then if they can't respond, submit a TC - wide request to see if anyone has saved these pix or has suitable replacements.

Along similar lines, there are numerous images currently being posted that are not uploaded to the TC server, but rather are linked to various external storage sites. If the images that are linked to external sites are ever removed from those sites, then the images on TC will turn into red Xs as well.

It would be a chore for some administrator to do so, but it would preserve many valuable TC resources if someone would track down all such externally linked-images and convert them to TC-linked images. Certainly, though, that chore would be much easier than trying to track down the sources of old red X images and getting them restored. Better to preserve current external images while the chances of finding their sources is fairly easy, or by having TC admins convert them to TC-hosted jpegs, than waiting until they disappear never to be found again.

Pages: 1 9 replies