Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Thanks everyone.

Pages: 1 5 replies

S

I just wanted to make a quick post and say thanks to all the carvers here. I've been spending time on here reviewing the different threads, seeing peoples different styles, learning about the different tiki styles, etc.

I appreciate you all posting your progress pics, the process involved in finding the piece that is hidden in the wood and the final outcome.

I've worked on a few small pieces with a dremel and realized that it really won't do the trick on any larger pieces. So I picked up some basic little flat edged chisels and mallet but I'm seeing that I'll need some V shaped and U shaped chisels as well. I need to spend a some more time reading about the types of stain and finishes you guys use but I'll get to that sometime.

If I spent as much time working on my current piece as I do on this site I'd be done with it by now and on to my next with the inspiration found here.

Thanks again everybody, now I'm off to cut some wood.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Jan 13, 2009 4:33 PM

Well????!!! Get to work Dammitt!

M
mieko posted on Tue, Jan 13, 2009 4:38 PM

While V and U shaped chisels are nice (and are needed for certain cuts), I've still used straight chisels for almost all of the work I do on bigger pieces. I can make a cleaner, faster V with a straight chisel than I can with a V shaped one, although I'm sure I could get better with the V's.

It's always fun to get more tools, but keep carving! They never had fancy flexcut gouges when they were carving hundreds of years ago in the islands. :)

I still use a 4 piece 30 bucks straight chisel set for all my large carves and stain is a matter of taste. I like the water based stain so i can make it as dark or light as i want.
There you go, Now start carving, post some pics of what you are doing and have tons of fun.
Who needs internet anyway :P

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Jan 14, 2009 4:38 PM

Seagoat,

Give Mountain Heritage Crafters a lookee. They seem to have good low prices on Flexcuts....if you are in the market for a few. Take a look at the MC 175 set and the MC 100 set. I use both and like them very much.

-G$

S

I cant get enough of that name seagoat love it/.

Pages: 1 5 replies