Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Does anyone know who did these photos?

Pages: 1 9 replies

O

I found these photos on a web site of Tahitian post cards under the heading '1946 Postcards' but I think they're actually from some sort of art book. The coconut girl is definitely the inspiration for a famous Leeteg painting. Does anyone know who took them and where they were published?

The genre of Tahitian photo books is one of my favorites examples of National Geographic eroticism. I own only three of these tourist mementos, and unfortunately none have those pictures in them:

I used several images from these in "Tiki Modern". Leeteg was known to copy his paintings from other photographers, one of them even sued him successfully for that. I forgot if it was Sylvain, the most famous of the Tahiti photographers,

...who was also an accomplished cinematographer, aiding among other things in producing footage for the Fox TV series "Adventures in Paradise" (Tiki Modern p.102). He was married to a beautiful Tahitian dancer, and their son Teva has since taken up the tradition of providing nude wahine imagery for the Tahitian tourist market in calendars, postcards and photo books --he obviously saw a good thing when he had one:

Oh, should I have included a "nudity" warning at the beginning? Oh well, too late now. :)

Dang !

Thanx for those uh.... "images" :o

Do you have your TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA CD YET ?
http://www.myspace.com/tikiyaki
http://www.tikiyakiorchestra.com

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2009-01-14 11:43 ]

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Jan 14, 2009 1:47 PM

I'm pretty sure those photos are taken from a book called "Tahiti Landfall" by William Stone (1946). I don't have it but have leafed through it a couple of times in a book shop I visit. I'll be back over in the city this weekend and will see if I can find it again...

The first picture is page 18 from the book "Leetag of Tahiti" by John Turner and Greg Escalante (with an introduction by martin Denny).

TS

:lol: :lol:

....:" BOOBIES !!!!!!!!!"

U motorboat em'? You motor boated didn't you? Crazy sailor!

J

On 2009-01-14 13:47, Paipo wrote:

I'm pretty sure those photos are taken from a book called "Tahiti Landfall" by William Stone (1946). I don't have it but have leafed through it a couple of times in a book shop I visit. I'll be back over in the city this weekend and will see if I can find it again...

Paipo is correct. A non-tiki friend of mine happened to gift me a first edition hard copy of "Tahiti Landfall" that he picked up at an estate sale recently. There are several pages of photographs of Tahiti and Tahitians. The photos with the topless wahines even have very cheeky captions.

Xlnt post and pics .

Pages: 1 9 replies