Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New possible glaze - opinions please!

Pages: 1 34 replies

We're working on concocting a bunch of new glazes. As we narrow them down, we came across this one and we're all pretty "on the fence" with it. The green value is great but is the glittery pearlescent effect just a too, well, Disco??

K
KuKu posted on Thu, Jan 15, 2009 3:08 PM

Kewl Holden, it's soooo lowbrow ryder yet high disco tech...

I love that glaze. Do it. Go green. It's not disco at all. It's....firefly..

T

DISCO ? No....It's more bumper car / diner booth 60's than Disco.

I think it's kinda neet.

Is it a classic style Tiki Mug ? No, but it doesn't seem that you were necessarily going for that.

I think it will appeal to the Wacko crowd, and not so much the hard core vintage tiki geek collectors.

Hot rodders, hipsters, and chicks.

L

Since I have a special place in my heart for vinyl diner chairs with sparkly red vinyl this glaze would fit in with all the retro kitchen stuff I own.

Love it (regardless of it being green!)

TS

Go METAL FLAKE!!!! This is true early 60's kustom kulture at its finest! I want a few in metal flake blue! I think you may be on to something, Holden, great job! One question, did the flake make the glaze finish rough? Or is it smooth to the touch like any other glaze?

L
Liana posted on Thu, Jan 15, 2009 3:35 PM

Well I love green and I love metal flake so I say GO FOR IT! :D

YES! METALFLAKE!
..............PURPLE ( my vote lol ) but green is cool too !

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Jan 15, 2009 3:43 PM

Another 60s classic color and one of my faves: Kandy Apple Red

Green is cool as well.

Thanks for the post.

Awesome! Okay, we'll move onto Kandy Apple Red's, blues & yes for sure - purple. Tom, it's as smooth as a baby's bottom... well, how about as smooth as a flaked-out Impala.

T

It IS very unique as far as Tiki Mugs go.

Here's to breaking new ground in the world of Tiki, Holden :) :drink:

T

Nice one!! Red would be cool and the green is slick.
Picture that glaze on a real vintage looking mug! Example, The Tiki's Black Moai mugs?? Pretty cool I think!

Awesome!! Keep them coming!!
TabooDan

Gotta see that in red!!!

TT

YES.

I like it a lot but only in brown and without the glitter.

Buzzy Out!

I like it. It looks like the same color as a '71 Schwinn Manta Ray. :)

Buzzy the Comedian.

T

Looks like one of those 70s speed boats.
Love that glaze!!!

I have wanted to do a Moai disco ball for years.

I like it! Can you redo all your mugs in it???? :P

T

I guess the glitter could be fun, in a color I liked but, frankly that kind of looks like "Christmas Puked"

That is a groovy glaze!!!

It looks just like porphyry.

The Romans used porphyry to build statues, and that stuff lasted for centuries. It would be cool to see the mug also stand the test of time.

C

could be very cool....with the right mug design...

LT

I'm not feeling the glitter, but Kandy colors just might be interesting.

I can see this on a Von Franco mug.

Looks like shit!

Gun Metal Grey Only!!!

How bout various metalflake glazes on a Roth-esque series of Weird-O monster mugs!?!? I think it would be kool!

[ Edited by: Big Kahuna 2009-01-15 22:07 ]

Hahaha, Holden....I'm glad it is smooth like a baby's bottom....Glad to hear the mug 'flake got burried into the glaze! I agree with any future kustom kulture mugs like Roth-esque, Viva, Von Francos and such...imagine the frankentiki in a purple flake with a satin green "hairline" top!?, or a flaked green top with a satin purple body....That would be crazy...I think you stumbled onto some cool stuff with unlimited possibilities.
::::satin black volcano mug, with red flaked glaze pouring out and over the top edges::::.........................................................

Flaked Out!

R

it's been twenty five years or so. disco is back!!! swweeeettt glaze holden!!

I kinda dig it...it would look awesome if I could get Doug Dorr to pinstripe one for me.

Well, that looks like an overwhelming pro-glitter glaze response! Kind of tempting for me to vote thumbs down just to scandalize the Whacko kids here. :) But I don't do that, I like to be more differentiating:

First of all I think it's GOOD that you say you are on the fence about it, you are right that one has to proceed with caution here.

Second, I think it is indeed high time for some new glazes, and innovation is generally a positive thing.

Third, I agree that this glaze will look good on "Roth-esque, Weirdo" mugs.... -but do we really need more of those, (and what do they have to do with Tiki) ? :D

I don't know bigbro.. I can see them rereleasing your mug with the new glaze.. your head a sparkly purple and the book a bright sparkly gold!

I think the glaze is great and only with the right mug.

I always see that the mug design and glaze are one. They both have to work together carry off the intended design/concept. Many of the classic killer mugs designs have it, even if it wasn't always planned.

So with the right kustom/disko/roth style design that glaze will be killer.

yes your right ....cant find the tiki connection either but thats not to say I wouldn't buy em' if they were done right ( I trust they would be ....but this is not about Ed Roth and that was not the topic ) The metalflake on any tiki would be cool ! and it would be updating the whole thing from the 50's to the sixties lol !,and some of us may have fond tiki memories of that too !( not me I was too young to remember)

How about the Moai Sauve mug in black metalflake?

You could call it Moai Rico!

B

Holden,

Well, the side of me that has a fascination for small shiny objects, says go for it! How's it look under a spot light?....shoot it with a star burst filter lens :-)

Pages: 1 34 replies