Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

What's on in New York!

Pages: 1 13 replies

Hi
We are coming over to New York City on February 11th for 6 days, and wondered if there was anything happening there. We are going to visit Otto's Shrunken Head, but can any of you tell us where else is good to visit and if there is anything on while we are there?
Would appreciate very much.
Thanks.

D

the Westminster Dog Show, puny in comparison to Crufts ~ but its pretty nifty.

Not sure if your request is regarding things to do in general or just drinking, but knowing the TC crowd, I will assume the latter.

There's not much tiki in NYC, but PLENTY of great cocktail bars, some that do tiki drinks on request.

Elettaria is a good restaurant that has navy grog, mai tai and zombies on their cocktail list, and they will also make ancient mariners or whatever else they can with what they have on hand. They have the grog log books for reference and the bartenders know their stuff.

For great cocktail bars, Flatiron Lounge, Pegu Club, Milk & Honey, PDT, Death & Company, Yerba Buena (also a great restaurant) should be places to put on your list. That's not even thinking about all the classic great old hotel bars around the city.

Let me know if you need more specifics regarding finding any of these places or if you have any other questions.

Also, if you're up for meeting some NYC ohana, let us know and maybe we can arrange that too!

enjoy your trip!

K

New York, New York, a helluva town.
The Bronx is up and the Battery's down.

Are there any good thrift/vintage and vinyl record shops in the manhattan area worth visiting?

P
Pyro posted on Mon, Feb 9, 2009 8:09 AM

Best clothes:
Cheap Jack's Vintage Clothing
841 Broadway (@ 13th St); Union Sq

Best knick knacks:
Atomic Passion
430 E. 9th St

Best mid-century mod furniture (that I can't afford)
Las Venus
163 Ludlow Street

Las Venus at ABC
888 Broadway (on 2nd floor)

I have no suggestions for record shops, as my fave store closed last year :( But I'm sure if you wander down in the village you will find something.

T

Best surviving record stores in Manhattan:

Academy LPs (pop/rock/jazz LPs)
415 E. 12 ST. (Between 1st Ave and Ave A)
NEW YORK, NY 10009
Monday Through Sunday 12:00 AM to 8:00 PM

Big City Records
521 E. 12th St., New York, NY 10009
nr. Ave. A 212-539-0208

The Sound library
165 Orchard Street
open every day from 12 - 8 PM
phone : 212.460.4800

Hi Leisuremaster
Sorry for the delay in replying, but have had alot of family illness, so have not been around alot, but we are still flying out today, so will arrive tonight for 5 days. We have booked up alot of stuff to do already, but if I send you a private e-mail with my cell phone number on, perhaps you can text me your phone number and I will ring you when we are there about possibly meeting up with some of the Tiki Central crowd? Either that or e-mail me back on here and I will try and pick up when we are at the hotel, but don't know defiantely if that is possible until we get there?
Thanks everyone for your help, can't wait to get to the Big Apple!

Cool , hope you have a good trip.
Let us know how you get on. :)

We're also going over to NYC for 5 days in early march.

Tark

K

That Cheap Jack's location closed down.

On 2009-02-09 08:09, Pyro wrote:
Best clothes:
Cheap Jack's Vintage Clothing
841 Broadway (@ 13th St); Union Sq

S

Is Waikiki Wally's still around?
http://www.waikikiwallys.com

Wally's looked very closed last week. big tiki from out front is gone, gone gone.

T

Wally's died an ugly painful death. Tiki in Manhattan has in the last decade been characterized by reasonably good decor, inappropriate music, and below acceptable exotic cocktails. The sort of good news is that great exotic cocktails are now available, admittedly without the proper environment. Check out Death & Co., Elettaria, and Sunday nights at PDT (look for bartender Jerry) for mai tais, zombies et al of great quality and usually served in proper vessels.

Jack

K

The Navy Grog at Eletaria is simply faboo!

Pages: 1 13 replies