Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Grog Log: Planter's Punch

Pages: 1 18 replies

I've just started this tiki drink thing using the Grog Log, and I've like all the drinks I've tried so far. Even the ones I wasn't nuts about were at least drinkable, but I just made the Planter's Punch and it was positively hideous (to my taste).

The only ingredient I used that I hadn't tried before was grenadine. I used 3 teaspoons of Llord's grenadine, and I'm wondering if that's just crap, if there's something wrong with the recipe or what.

Any thoughts?

Meanwhile, I'm going to go make another Waikikean... thanks.

What kind of white rum are you using? I've never made this version before. Most planter's punch recipes that I've used are more dark rum-based. Also, I've never had Llords grenadine. Taste it separately. If it tastes like chemicals, scrap it. Make your own (really easy).

I used Castillo white rum which is cheap, but I've used it in other recipes without a problem. I'm going to try and make another drink the uses grenadine and see if it's similarl abhorrent.

The scientific method...

On 2009-01-19 11:02, Suburban Beachbum wrote:
The scientific method...

I'm all for it!

The Planter's Punch I know is usual made with Myers Dark and is a brilliant cocktail! I tried one a few months ago using Maui Dark and it was even better. The rule of thumb I use is "the better the booze, the better the cocktail usually is." Cheers.

http://www.RUMCONNECTION.COM
Daily News, Rum Reviews & Other Distractions

[ Edited by: Rum Connection 2009-01-19 16:23 ]

Castillo is Bacardi rebadged. It could even be a "store brand".
Instead of paying $10 for a 750 of real/fake Bacardi put down the $16ish for the 1.75 Cruzan or the $28ish for the 1.75 Myer's.

On 2009-01-19 20:05, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:
Instead of paying $10 for a 750 of real/fake Bacardi put down the $16ish for the 1.75 Cruzan or the $28ish for the 1.75 Myer's.

+1

On 2009-01-19 20:05, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:

+2

Actually, in certain areas (such as mine), white Cruzan is cheaper than many rums that are worse.

N

We mix it with Ron Rico or Cruzan when we can get a hold on a bottle and Myers.
And Monin's gerandine.
That's actually one of our favourite GL drinks. Planter's and Pieces of Eight are the drinks we usually mix for uneducated guests.

After tinkering around a bit, I've come to the conclusion that it's either the Llord's grenadine or the amount of grenadine called for in the recipe (3 teaspoons).

Like I said, even though it's bottom of the barrel, I've used the Castillo in other recipes and haven't found them undrinkable, but most of the other recipes I've used have called for little more than a dash of the grenadine which is probably not enough to spoil a drink even if you're using crap.

In any event, Thanks everybody for the advice... on to the next concoction!

Sorry I'm late to this one....

This sounds like you need to go into basic Trouble-Shooting mode:

What are you using for your juices? Fresh? Quality Bottled? Cheap Bottled? Fresh is always better, but we all know that already.

What are you using for Grenadine? There is only about 1/2 ounce of the stuff to about a 7 ounce pour so it would have to be pretty nasty to turn the whole drink.

What are you using for your rums? You mentioned Castillo, haven't had the stuff but if what others are saying is true this may be a fail point for your drink. What does the rum taste like on its own? Would you drink it on its own for anything less than a dare? Bad liquor makes Bad drinks.

And, I probably should have put this one first, what is your expectation of the drink? Do you like Sweet Drinks? Or Tart Drinks? Do you like to taste the Booze? Or do you want something that will sneak up on you? Your taste will dictate how well the drinks in the Grog Log turn out. Me, I find about half of the recipes too sweet for my taste, your mileage may vary.

AS you move forward through the Grog Log, any recipe book actually, for any recipe you have never made yourself you should taste each of the ingredients as you build the drink. That will give you an idea of how you go to the finished pour so if it is too-much or not-enough of something you can adjust to your desires.

Keep pouring, and keep sharing what you come up with.

Fresh juices? Check.

Grenadine? Llord's. Have used in other recipes without a problem.

Rum? Castillo's with a Meyer's float.

As for drinks I like to taste alcohol and prefer sweeter drinks to tart ones, although there are always exceptions. My best guess is that maybe this drink/recipe just ain't for me.

Again, thank you EVERYONE for your input. For now, I'm just going to sit tight and await my first shipment of El Dorado 151 Demerera rum expected at the door any minute now and wait till my wife gets home to peel me off the floor.

A

Trader Vic's bartender's guide includes a Planter's Punch recipe from Sloppy Joe's of Havana. The recipe calls for 2 ounces dark Jamaican rum. It seems odd to me that they wouldn't have used Cuban rum in the recipe. Any thoughts on this or someone have an alternate recipe from Sloppy Joe's?

Planter's Punch

2 jiggers rum Jamaican
1 jigger lemon jiuce
2 dashes grenadine
1 teaspoon sugar

Frappe till icy cold. Serve in mint julep glass, with cube of ice and minced fruit.
(Original Cuban recipe)

This recipe is taken directly from the Tom and Jerry's Bartender's Guide; how to Mix Drinks Pre-Prohibition Recipes 1943 edition

My personal rendition of the Planter's Punch which seems to come out nicely:

4 ounces club soda
4 ounces Myers's
2 ounces lemon juice (or lime juice, depending how sour you like your drinks)
0.75 oz. grenadine
0.75 oz. simple syrup

Shake everything except the club soda with an equal amount of crushed ice.
Pour unstrained into glass, and add club soda at the end.

Should serve 2. (Or 1 in a big Tiki mug. :)

On 2010-06-22 12:30, loneranger84 wrote:

4 ounces club soda
4 ounces Myers's
0.75 oz. grenadine
0.75 oz. simple syrup

Should serve 2. (Or 1 in a big Tiki mug. :)

Mine's about the same but I add a few dashes of Angostura bitters and grate nutmeg on top.

On 2010-06-23 08:42, jingleheimerschmidt wrote:

On 2010-06-22 12:30, loneranger84 wrote:

4 ounces club soda
4 ounces Myers's
0.75 oz. grenadine
0.75 oz. simple syrup

Should serve 2. (Or 1 in a big Tiki mug. :) )

Mine's about the same but I add a few dashes of Angostura bitters and grate nutmeg on top.

Sounds delicious!

I adapted mine from the rhyme posted in the 1908 New York Times (that I found on Wikitender) and the 1947 Trader Vic recipe (the idea for Grenadine). My use of lemon juice is simply a matter of preference, and a lemon-lime mix would probably be best.

The Jamaican rhyme that the Bum references just does not seem consistent with any other recipes I've seen; come to think of it, I'm not sure I've ever tried it though. ("One of sour, two of sweet, three of strong, four of weak.") It seems as if the lime would be lost in that mixture and that it would be too sweet.

A

("One of sour, two of sweet, three of strong, four of weak.") It seems as if the lime would be lost in that mixture and that it would be too sweet.

Not if you make the "four of weak" be the ice. Then its 1 oz lime juice, 2 oz sugar syrup (or whatever), 3 oz rum, and 4 oz ice.

On 2010-06-24 14:01, arriano wrote:

("One of sour, two of sweet, three of strong, four of weak.") It seems as if the lime would be lost in that mixture and that it would be too sweet.

Not if you make the "four of weak" be the ice. Then its 1 oz lime juice, 2 oz sugar syrup (or whatever), 3 oz rum, and 4 oz ice.

Interesting idea! The Bum recommends soda water, but that sounds like a nice simple drink there.

Pages: 1 18 replies