Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Chicago and Yma

Pages: 1 3 replies

I

Over the Christmas weekend, I had the pleasure of being in Chicago (and seeing the new Trader Vics with James)

The following evening my brother and I were walking around downtown Chicago, and I noticed the big 26 story YMCA building with the red neon lights on top. But one of the letters was not operating, so rather than saying Y-M-C-A, it said Y-M-A

I found this a great, perhaps unintended tribute to Yma Sumac, who had passed away less than two months before. It so was nice, to see her name in big neon letters, shining over one of the great cities of the world.

I didn't have a camera, and I'm not sure if the sign is still like that, but it was one of many good memories from that trip.

[ Edited by: ikitnrev 2009-01-17 23:16 ]

T

Do you remember where exactly that was?

I'll go snap it for posterity!

On 2009-01-17 15:18, tikibars wrote:
Do you remember where exactly that was?

I'll go snap it for posterity!

c'mpn james...how many ymca's in chicago are that tall with red neon letters??...it shouldn't be hard to find...grab yer camera and get downtown..start with lasalle and chicago ave...i think that might be the one.....

It was this building. 3rd picture down you can see a bit of the neon sign. You'll have to be several blocks away to get a good angle/view on the sign.
http://www.chicagoarchitecture.info/Building/1622/Lawson_YMCA.php

We were walking from State Street to the Gene & Georgetti steakhouse when I saw the sign ..... probably looking at the building/sign from the North/Northeast side.

Pages: 1 3 replies