Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Question for Bosko, Sven or Sabu

Pages: 1 6 replies

M
Moki posted on Sun, Jan 18, 2009 11:09 AM

We recently aquired this outrigger and we were given a brief history from the seller who claimed a pair of these were carved in the 50's in Hawaii and brought to San Diego. They hung in a La Jolla restaurant, but he did not know which one.

It is hand carved as you can see the adze marks on the inside and outside. The paintings on the outside don't seem to be the originals, possibly redone in the 70's or 80's. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks!!

Sorry, but though outrigger canoes were standard decor in Polynesian restaurants back in Tiki's heyday, (everyone had to have at least one), I have never paid any mind to styles, and how locally carved ones would differ from Island ones.
In my opinion: If you can get a vintage one, it's a privilege, and this one sure looks good where it is. :)

Aloha Moki,
La Jolla had a couple of Polynesian places back in the day, the Luau and the Polynesian come to mind. But I would take anything a seller says with a grain of salt, the canoe looks like one of the old prop ones OA sold back in the 60’s-70’s as I recall they had adz markings and think you could get them with tribal painting. The whole carved in Hawaii thing was what people always said (and say) about their “artifacts” obviously it gave the piece an authentic touch. But I doubt much was (or is) ever actually made in Hawaii, the shipping alone would kill you.
In any case it is beautiful and it does look great at your place.

Bosko

Very Nice,
congrats.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

wow moki!

that sir, is quite the score! decor outriggers are extremely rare. i have a few myself and know they are hard to come by. from the look of the rigging and decorative paddle, this is most certainly a commercial restaurant piece, probably done by oceanic arts. does it measure around 14 feet in length?

OA stopped producing these sometime in the late 70s early 80s and then apparently switched to fiberglass castings. even those castings are no longer sold. i know OA has a couple of the original wood outriggers high up in their rafters at the warehouse but they will not sell them.

a huge outrigger was a given at most of the larger tiki temples across the nation during the heyday. usually, the main dining area would have the recessed ceiling effect to house a hanging outrigger. to this day, Damon's in Glendale still has a main room outrigger.

consider yourself very lucky indeed! btw, these were generally made for indoor display so protect that neat 70s paint job!!

T

On 2009-01-19 12:09, tiki1963 wrote:
wow moki!

that sir, is quite the score!

Just to let you know, Moki wold be of the female persuasion

M
Moki posted on Mon, Jan 19, 2009 9:06 PM

Thanks for the info guys.

We really didn't believe much of what the seller was telling us. He actually thought (or at least tried to convice us) the canoe was made of Koa and that it was worth $10,000.

We thought it was cool and we were happy with the price he "was willing to part with it for" and now just need to find a nice spot for it out of the elements.

Glad to hear that it might at least be from OA.

Oh and yes, it is a little bigger than 13 feet long.

Pages: 1 6 replies