Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Plexiglass Bar

Pages: 1 7 replies

I got this idea to have a plexiglass bar. I'd like to have a shelf or two, wire it with light, so I can display some tiki mugs without fear of breaking them.

Has anyone ever worked with plexiglass? Know of anyone that could make something like this? Or point me in the right direction? Or am I just dreaming up something that is impossible?

Mahalo

G
Gibbo posted on Tue, Jan 20, 2009 1:58 AM

Hi Cheekygirl, try polycarbonate sheeting instead of plexiglass as it looks the same but you can drill it without it cracking and can even cold bend the stuff. It's great and really so easy to work with.
Cheers,
Gibbo

As a kid we made R/C airboats out of polycarbonate. Flat sides screwed onto bent hulls done in the oven, powered by little Cox .049 engines. We ran them down the street gutters after it rained enough. It can be worked like wood, using normal drills, saws, etc.

You can find polycarb at home builder stores, but I don't think it would be stiff enough for shelving. If you plan on using it for mug and rum bottle display, I'd think you'd have to use at least 1/2" thick material. Sites like http://www.mcmaster.com/ have all sorts of shapes and lengths, just search for polycarbonate. It can get fairly expensive when you start looking for clear or optically clear polycarb.

As for lighting, you would only have to light the edges, and the material would act like a light pipe, and the entire part would light up, with the edges probably being brighter. Could definitely make a cool display bar.

Check this place for plastics.

http://www.sign-mart.com/

Built the SHAG house with 4x8 sheets from here.

Cheeky

I have a very small but informative paperback book on working with plexiglas that I bought years ago and haven't used since. PM me a mailing address and I'll send it or a copy. I think I know where it is :)

I just did the plexy and it cuts well with a router. Drilling is a full on disaster. I routed out the shadow box, dropped in the plexy and held it in place with some trim. It likes to warp and move with just screws. It is not perfecto but it looks fantastic. I use coasters to help with condensation from hot or cold mugs and cups. It is surprising strong for thin plexy but it will bow a bit so we added support with some small dividers.

Some day I will have glass cut for it but that is another story.

Looks great Shampoovta, you could make your supporting dividers out of strips of plexi, they would hardy show and wouldn't ruin the lovely effect.

MadDogMike that is a terrific idea!

Pages: 1 7 replies