Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki bar scene in old (non American) movie

Pages: 1 14 replies

TC is fantástico.
There are threads about tiki bars in old movies, about tiki bars in new movies and even about any kind of tiki sighting in a film.
But I truly miss one thread dedicated to spotting tiki bars in movies from other countries different from the U.S.
I will humbly try to fix this.
Since I am from Venezuela, live in Spain and love Mexico, my contributions will be mainly tiki latino oriented.

“Perdoname mi vida” is a Mexican romantic comedy from 1964. Starring crooner Alberto Vazquez and and Angelica María, “la novia de Mexico”.
In the movie they are newlyweds spending their honeymoon in Acapulco, so there are several scenes showing the great nightlife of the city.

Some real cool places with a exotic vibe like the Bambuco…

The Cocotal…

And the legendary Aku-Tiki

Tons of fishnet and dancers. Maybe the interior of the Aku-Tiki.

T

Wow! This is a great new topic! I especially love it because these are in movies which we may have little or no access to in the United States.

Gracias! :)

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, Jan 21, 2009 9:50 AM

Nice Amigo! Tiki Latino is my drug! As you know, I love Mexico and Spain, both Exotic as can be.(Venezuela is cool too)
The still frame from the Mysterious Aku-Tiki is priceless!

[ Edited by: Zeta 2009-01-21 10:02 ]

TS

Soy Cuba, or I am Cuba was released a couple years ago here in the States, but it was filmed entirely in Cuba. See the other link for more information
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=17933&forum=1&14

Here are a few stills (just photographed off the TV --as much as I make sure my scans and photos are crisp, I know nothing about screen capture) from the British 1963 movie "The Cracksman", (which I had posted before in the Mayfair Hotel/ Beachcomber post):

At this point, I am fairly certain that not only the exterior entrance was a set, built for the film, but that the nightclub was also built on a sound stage, at Elstree Studios, were the film was shot. Elstree Studios was owned by the Danziger brothers, who also owned the Mayfair Hotel with its Beachcomber restaurant: They just rebuilt their own club in their studio.

I still get fooled by sets to this day, I just congratulated my friend Bobby Green, owner of the Big Foot Lodge, that so many scenes in the new Jim Carey movie were filmed at his club.... they were not, they re-built the whole place on a sound stage!

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-01-21 16:36 ]

From another Mexican movie "La alegria de vivir" (1965)
Not exactly a Tiki bar this time but a Tiki cafeteria.
The Huki-Lau

Not much Tiki inside. Just couple of masks.
You can see a lonely fishing float too.

But the place rocks!

The houseband is Los Jockers one of the greatests Mexican rock and roll bands.

"Dame un poco de amooor".
A 1968 wild rock and roll-pulp-intrigue-comedy

Starred by Los Bravos, first Spanish band that reached UK and US charts and sold a million copies worldwide of "Black is Black" , their 1966 hit.
You know…,black is black, I want my baby back
It´s grey, It´s grey since she went awaaay.

Funny movie with some really groovy sets in it, the coolest of them all being…
Zeta, do you recognize this?

Yes. One of the legendary souvenir abanicos from...

We better turn on that neon sign.

Dig that 600. Those were cars.

Unfortunately not real interior shots.
Groovy nevertheless.

House of Ming 40 years later.
No much difference, it seems.

But if you look through those windows... sob!

T

I would love to see that movie with Los Bravos! They were so underrated as a band, and labeled one-hit-wonders in the US. Listen to their other stuff - it is all top notch!

On 2009-02-20 18:22, thejab wrote:
I would love to see that movie with Los Bravos! They were so underrated as a band, and labeled one-hit-wonders in the US. Listen to their other stuff - it is all top notch!

Welcome to "Los Bravos Appreciation Society",thejab. :)
Neither in Spain, the band is fully appreciated. Have some nostalgia value but, that´s all.
PM me if you are interested in their movies. Maybe we can find a way.

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Feb 23, 2009 9:22 AM

On 2009-02-16 13:39, Mister Naufrago wrote:

Funny movie with some really groovy sets in it, the coolest of them all being…
Zeta, do you recognize this?

Yes. One of the legendary souvenir abanicos from...

We better turn on that neon sign.

Dig that 600. Those were cars.

Unfortunately not real interior shots.
Groovy nevertheless.

:o :( :cry: Amazing the things you find! That place was really something... I remember going there with Shag once...
Senor Castaway, please keep posting like this! Gracias!

"Rififi en la ciudad” a 1963 movie directed by Jesús/Jess Franco.
One of the finest examples of Spanish noir ever.
On the original idea the action takes place in Barcelona´s Barrio Chino, but to avoid troubles with censorship, finally is set in an exotic country, far, far away from Spain.
Since the movie is filmed in la Costa del Sol , aloha shirts, latino music and a tiki bar are used to obtain the right atmosphere.

T
thejab posted on Fri, Apr 3, 2009 3:58 PM

This picture speaks volumes! No translation necessary.

I'm liking the heck out of this thread. More please!

Nice posts and awesome topic.

Besides being a thoroughly fascinating story... Tiki Atomica believes that the floor show scene from I AM CUBA (SOY CUBA 1964)... is one of the most beautifully Tikiesque and radioactive scenes ever captured on celluloid.

In brilliant B&W... A portion of it can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUINE6CrrDc

This should raise the flame on your tiki torch!

Pages: 1 14 replies