Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Vintage Disney home movie!

Pages: 1 8 replies

TM

The Scotch Brand Cellophane Tape Company sure did pick the right family.

One of my favorite parts is when they show the neighborhood families (all Mom & Dad with at least two kids) and the last one is "Mrs. Johnson and her friend". Sure [wink wink] her "friend"...

Mmmm! Delicious!

This is fantastic.

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Jan 27, 2009 7:42 AM

Thanks for posting this, bud. I like how the family is simply too poor to actually have done it on their own, and won the contest through pluck, hard work and keeping their sense of humor!

It also makes we wonder about something that was so prevalent that it just went unquestioned in those days - extremely short hair.

We think of it now as the hairstyle of uptight 1950s engineers and had been for as long as clipping shears existed. But it wasn't a popular style in the 1920s; page boys and longish center parts were the thing then. Sometime between 1929 and 1961 super short stubble-cut doo's were introduced as a fad.

Why? Was it a depression era thing to combat (as it was here) the high price of a barbershop? And was the close-sheared look therefore defended later because admitting that you wore short hair out of poverty was just plain embarassing?

Or was it a WW2 thing, the army cut carried into your civilian life?

We should ask the Barstows.

TM

An original antidote against lice and nits?

Anyway, I love vintage DL, but after seeing this, I think I like DL around the mid to late 70s the best....this early version appears to be so sparse and barren. No trees.

it would have been nice to see the tomorrowland rides, though...space station X-1 is something I wish I could have gone on. (A walk through diorama)

Air Force Jet Pilots and Space Program Astronauts probably best explain the hair, yes?

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Jan 27, 2009 9:58 AM

Why is this in Bilge?

Is Bilge the new KoolKids hangout?

Okay, show of hands:

Whose favorite ride was Adventures Into Inner Space?

On 2009-01-27 12:03, Haole'akamai wrote:
Okay, show of hands:

Whose favorite ride was Adventures Into Inner Space?

Right here. I own the DVD recreation of the ride.

Pages: 1 8 replies