Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

WoW...

Pages: 1 21 replies

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3509632123&category=29460

How cool is that?!? If anyone has a hip tiki restaurant or bar that is rakin in the dough...this would be great to display there...

I just realized that I wasn't the first to notice this awesome display piece...
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=3107&forum=5&1

[ Edited by: TikiManiac on 2003-03-25 09:54 ]

That is really cool. When I first looked at it though, I thought it was a huge piece but I guess it's only about four feet tall. It would be even cooler if it was like six feet tall- like an evil version of one of Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room tikis.

Very cool. Is it me, or does it have more of a cannibalistic/headhunter/voodoo flavor rather than the "friendlier" tiki flavor? I'd actually bid on this, but having a little (almost 4 year old) girl, makes me stay away from these type of designs. Another reason why I haven't found a KreepyTiki item yet either...a little too evil for little ones sleep patterns.

to further disturb sleep patterns, check out their website:

http://www.artomic.com

Yeah, I saw their website too. They are very talented, but did you click on the really small devil(?) above the "A" Artomic, and it takes you to a subscriber site. Wonder what it is?

G
GECKO posted on Wed, Mar 26, 2003 9:23 PM

the guy had it sold until i read "you gotta pick it up yourself in da Los Angeles area"

now dats a mood setter. I can't do all da mechanical tings but I'm gon have to do something kinda like it for my self. heres da pic.

Gecko, are you interested in doing something like this? I know someone who has no Carving ablility, but could totally do the programming and mechanics of something like this, and I think he really wants to do an animated Tiki. He did the programming for this robotic toy:

If you want to work on something like this, I'm sure I could match you two up... I would love to see what you could come up with!

~Hanford

T

SCD,
I talked to the artist. The spirit room is a collection of his work. I guess for clients to check their progress.

sugar caddy, sorry about the evil carvings dude,but not everything we make is Evil looking (I Think)I usualy lean that way ,but my partner Loonatiki usually makes em less evil and more Trad/Cartoony.regarding this tiki robot, I think this is the koolest thing I've ever seen in my damn life.this is definately the style I can call my favorite ,sorta has that Les Baxter Ritual of the savage feel to it.sugar caddy ,I got a couple of tikis on ebay right now My ebay seller ID is "TIKIKIKO" I will post a link to it as soon as figure out how to do it. see you guys at the hukilau. god bless our troops ,Kreepy tiki Jaksin

That's a true work of animatronic art. I'd love to own it. (I'd put it directly across from the bed in the guest room to amuse our visitors).

TurboGod~ So that's what the link is for! Thanks for letting me know.

TikiJaksin~ Hope you don't think I don't like your carvings. As a matter of fact, I was telling ChikiTiki that they were cool, but I'm sure you can understand it may be a little too intense for my little girl, at least right now. I'll keep checking your auctions too.

BK~ I bet you'd have it start every hour, on the hour, starting at midnight for your guests, right? Maybe with speakers right in the pillows?

E

This stunning item reminds me of some of the dreams I had as a little kid, probably inpsired by cartoons that had references to masked cannibal rituals and other wholesome kiddie fare. I LOVE IT!

:), em.

G

Braddah Hanford sed "Gecko, are you interested in doing something like this? I know someone who has no Carving ablility, but could totally do the programming and mechanics of something like this, and I think he really wants to do an animated Tiki"

Howzit Hanford,
Ho, this looks like somthing I would enjoy doing in a large scale! A guy up the street does foam art so I know he could do the drums and volcanic rock up front and I could do the carvings and your guy can do the mechanical stuff. I just wonder how we would make wood move? I guess that would be his job. Hook me up with em and I would like to see if it's possible.

I would really like to do it with 3 to 5 foot tikis. with maybe a 6 foot A-frame hut with maybe water flowing in the front and a built in cd player to play Martin Denny or someting. It would look like a actual Tiki Village.

give me da guys email.

Mahaloz
-gecko

Geck,

I think if you built/ carved all of the parts independent from each other and had them all attached by means of a metal armature containing the motors and/ or hydroliucs, that would be the ticket. You could do the jaw, head, and arms all seperate from the torso to allow movement. I'm sure you could even rig propane tiki torches that would burst into flames during a certain part of a song. This could turn into a Vegas style backyard attraction. Probably very expensive to produce, but super cool at the same time. What an exciting concept!

G
GECKO posted on Thu, Mar 27, 2003 2:26 PM

LuckyD, yes I see what you are saying. While I sit around and have nothing to do here at work I been sketchin a li'l somting.

I can see cars in front of my house now stopping to see wat da hell I'm makin now.

"What an exciting concept!" Yes it is. Thats why I'm going to take my time planning this. I would love to make one of these in someones Tikibar on stage. Kinda like da Chucky Cheese band but to da 10th power.

Or in someones backyard connected to da pool with water flowing from da actuall piece down to da pool and replace the underwater pool lights with red and orange lights. Then have the carvings around eye level at the lowest preferbly higher. Have em sitting on a volcano inside of an a-frame hut with torches, drums, natives in da bushes with spears etc. That way it looks like you have tiki's playing at the top of a Volcano in a hut with lava(water) flowing into your pool. Torches and the volcano going off evry once and a while....dam that would be sweet. Like you said, that would cost plenny!

Dam it must be nice to be rich!

On 2003-03-25 13:49, SugarCaddyDaddy wrote:
Very cool. Is it me, or does it have more of a cannibalistic/headhunter/voodoo flavor rather than the "friendlier" tiki flavor?

This thing is amazing! Very cool, indeed!

I'd like to have this to scare the crows away from my back yard.

I hear you SCD! The big guy in the middle is a little scary in a voodoo-headhunter sort of way, but the two side drummers look identical to some of the Marquesan style carvings I saw during my recent trip to the South Pacific.

Here are some bookends I brought home that have the same look.

I know now! I'm thinking of THIS GUY!

OH NO! NOT THE ZUNI DOLL!

LooneyOverZuniCaddyDaddy

C

EEEK!!!

It's VOODOO MICHAEL JACKSON!!

Gecko,

Sounds great! The guy who I know is out of town right now, he's a world traveler, but when he gets back into town I'll give him the lowdown and you two can swap emails.

I think he would like to do it in a large scale as well. He's pretty good at developing the articulation and and mechanics, but his real specialty is programming the computer-controlled automation, with sound!

~Hanford

G
GECKO posted on Tue, Apr 1, 2003 2:48 PM

shoots Hanford, let me know wen he's ready ya.

Mahaloz braddah

One of my clients bought on of these. I am going to check it out next week some time in person. Cool ..... I'm such a freakin geek!

S

If you do this, you have to ge special music made for it. The tahitian style would be better with the heavy drum beats.

Maybe something on a smaller scale would be more suitable to the average client. Like moving eyes or some other small animation.

Pages: 1 21 replies