Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Early Shag original for sale

Pages: 1 7 replies

C

From Jonathan Levine Gallery in New York:

We are excited to offer a very rare Shag piece to Shag fans. "Ray's Mistake" is one of the first paintings Shag has ever made. It is from his first show ever, which Shag has said took place when he was offered to display his work on one wall of a Santa Monica coffee house in 1995. The piece is very rare and in mint condition.

It is being offered to a select list of recipients before the general public.

Ray's Mistake by Shag
Acrylic on Panel
17 x 25 inches.
Rare, signed by artist
$15,000.00

I suppose the gallery won't be thrilled that I shared this with TC but you deserve to know about it. I hope there's another TCer on their list that snags it!

This is especially rare because it depicts Ray Buhen when he was still alive and mixing, in 1995. To Ray !!!

K
KuKu posted on Thu, Jan 22, 2009 12:21 PM

A bargin at that price...

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Jan 22, 2009 1:33 PM

Nice!

Wouldn't it be cool if the Buhens bought this painting, only to bring the painting "home" to Tiki Ti to display there? This seems like a logical full circle scenario to me...if I had the funds I would present it to them as a gift on behalf of all So. Cal tikiphiles (yeah! - dream baby, dream!)

i think the coffe house this showed at was the cacao in santa monica, correct??..they had a cool tiki meets sci-fi type of decor....saw alot of good art openings there back in the day...

On 2009-01-22 12:10, bigbrotiki wrote:
This is especially rare because it depicts Ray Buhen when he was still alive and mixing, in 1995. To Ray !!!

...not only that, but it also depicts me sitting at the bar....ray's mistake was the first drink i ever had at tiki ti....suggested by ray himself after i couldn't make up my mind from all the drink selections offered...this scene is precisely from that moment in time....wonder who snapped the photo that shag used to paint this from?

" In a perfect world...Elvis would still be alive ....and all the elvis impersonators would be dead!!"

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2009-01-22 13:57 ]

C

Is the lady Cherry Capri?

Very coool early Shag-wish it was bigger in size.

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2009-01-31 01:19 ]

Pages: 1 7 replies