Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Should Tiki Central be stripped of any hawaiiana discussions?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 223 replies

And I am repeating it in hopes that folks may finally heed it. Being graded on meaningfulness by the "Master of meaningful and constructive Tiki Central posts" really hurts, woofter! :)

Hey, I found a group for you!:

"I have been fascinated with Trolls for quite some time and it seems the older I get, the more I just HAVE to have. :) I decided to form this club because I never seem to have anyone to talk with or brag to about my trolls. So I thought that if I was this interested in them and I knew others were interested in them that we needed a place for gathering and talking about them. "Troll Central" if I may. :) I hope you enjoy the group and I hope that others will find us and gather with us."

I resemble a troll in appearance only.

No, you look cute. The troll behind you though.....

On 2009-01-30 02:19, Mr. Pupu Pants wrote:
Hey, did anyone notice that Sven's book had pretty pictures too? :wink:

Sven, I hope you know I was making fun of myself with this post.
You sir, are a trooper. I hope everyone here has a great weekend.
Mahalo, aloha, la ao hau'oli,
Pupu out :)

...it's been real fun playin'........TIKI OR NOT TIKI????.......with you all !!!!

..i'm thinkin of starting a new show..."CARVED AMERICAN IDOL", where contestants trot out their best polynesian/tiki/ hawaiian collectables before a panel of judges to determine if they are tiki or not......sven can take the place of simon, bamboolodge can take the place of randy and a couple of other disagreeable folks such as myself, tiki bars or whomever, can fill in the remaining 2 judges slots......I think it will be a hit!!!! :)

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2009-01-30 16:46 ]

Do I get to cast the number girls? And my hair stays!

On 2009-01-30 16:59, bigbrotiki wrote:

absolutely!!

On 2009-01-30 08:02, Limbo Lizard wrote:
YEE, HAW, it's a Tiki Philistines vs. Tiki Prigs tag-team cage match!

:lol:

part of me wants to read all of the posts,
but I can't bring myself to do it, or to care.
that and my ADD is kicking in, or I'm just too f ing lazy.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

K
KuKu posted on Fri, Jan 30, 2009 8:09 PM

On 2009-01-30 16:40, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

Now thats a mug, TIKI OR NOT... :lol:

C

On 2009-01-29 16:02, lucas vigor wrote:
Not only does Buffet have nothing to do with Tiki, he also has NOTHING to do with carribean style, either!

See, a contention that would make perfect sense on CaribCentral.com, much as I may disagree with it.Still don't understand what the connection is between a Caribbean pop artist and PolyPop.

chiwito

C

On 2009-01-29 19:08, Bahama Don wrote:
Now if you want real Caribbean lifestyle music, Barefootman is the real thing.

I can't hear your point, 'cause your shirt's too loud.

chiwito

On 2009-01-30 23:11, Tom Slick wrote:

Shouldn't those be Samoan War Clubs? And look how they are dressed. Oh the Horror!!

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2009-01-31 07:50 ]

I tried to read all of the posts and made one comment earlier. I've only been active on the TC for about a year, so I can't claim to be thoroughly acquainted with all the other threads that have been posted over the years, but I can't help wondering what the problem is? Has this really been such a big problem -- I haven't noticed a lot of threads put up on the board that strike me as woefully off-topic, unless we are going to become so extreme as to exclude discussions of Trader Vic's and Hawaii 5-0 (from this discussion I learned that only two episodes of 200-plus Hawaii 5-0 series actually had Tikis in them. The horror, the horror! I must bow to the diligence and dedication of someone who counts the number of episodes in a TV series and checks to see how many of them featured Tikis!).

If the board gets lumbered with off-topic threads I can understand why that might be a problem, but that doesn't seem to have been the case to me. If by happenstance one appears, you don't need to read it or participate in the discussion. If Hawaiiana is your bet noire, why don't we just create another discussion group on TC for it, which doesn't seem out of line to me because I have yet to see a home Tiki lounge or room that doesn't have some Hawaiiana in it.

G

On 2009-01-30 16:40, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
sven can take the place of simon, bamboolodge can take the place of randy and a couple of other disagreeable folks such as myself, tiki bars or whomever, can fill in the remaining 2 judges slots

On 2009-01-30 16:59, bigbrotiki wrote:

Wait, there are no number girls on Carved American Idol (sad to say). They're over on Tiki Or No Tiki. But since we can mix our Tiki and our Hawaiiana, I suppose we can mix our game shows. So... sorry Tipsy, but James has to take the place of Howey Mandel. There is the strong resemblance factor you know. Now we just need a female lush who thinks everything is great...

Now we just need a female lush who thinks everything is great...

I'm a lush, I can play the part..... I can wear a trashy dress if that helps.

DZ

Once again I have succeeded in killing a thread! (Sorry I misspelled "Bete").

T

On 2009-01-31 21:18, Chip and Andy wrote:

Now we just need a female lush who thinks everything is great...

I'm a lush, I can play the part..... I can wear a trashy dress if that helps.

For the Paula part, it's not enough just to be a lush... you'll have to be able find - and praise - some tiki in everything!

I registered a year ago,but I'm starting to post today. My question is who is trying to control the discussion of hawaiiana? Are there various groups here I should be aware of with different agendas? Who is in charge of the site? I am not trying to be rude, I just need to get my bearings.

Tikis without hawaiiana seems a little strange. I have felt for some time that some of the so-called tipsy tiki sites were less tiki vibe than places that had no tikis yet evoked a certain cool-vibe. Case & point: the former Lava Lounge in L.A. had more tiki vibe than the Traders Vics in Vegas. At the time I hung out there the house band was The Blue Hawaiians, and the drinks were strong. While no tikis existed in the club it suggested an alternative universe of surf,hawaiiana, & old school lounge.

One rule for new members is that if you want to post a reply to a thread, you either must read ALL the posts (and make an effort to understand them) or refrain from posting. If that is a bit too much to ask, sometimes single posts help to clarify and avoid unnecessary reviving of dead horse threads:

On 2009-01-27 15:12, bigbrotiki wrote:
......The only reason to lock this thread I see would be the (intentionally written so or not) incendiary, negativity provoking title of it, which will always attract folks that want to think they are being censored. So Tiki newbies will flock to this thread...

.....All this despite the fact that, in my VERY FIRST post, (which also was the FIRST REPLY to the initial question), I said THIS right off the bat -in the first two sentences:

" ...the way you pose the question sounds way to extreme. There is no ban, dogma or censorship here, just a FOCUS. Hawaiiana and Hawaii have a link to, and were in many ways the inspiration for Tiki style."

Can we please leave this, my reply, as THE LAST, the ending of this thread now, so that new folks, as innocent as they are, when feeling compelled by its title to click on this thread, find that all is NOT as its title's polemic suggests?

K
KuKu posted on Mon, Feb 2, 2009 1:04 PM

On 2009-02-01 17:39, FrankieGillette wrote:
My question is who is trying to control the discussion of hawaiiana? Are there various groups here I should be aware of with different agendas?

On 2009-02-02 09:48, bigbrotiki wrote:

Can we please leave this, my reply, as THE LAST, the ending of this thread now.

Answer your question...?

..and who watches the watchmen??

K
KuKu posted on Mon, Feb 2, 2009 1:37 PM

On 2009-02-02 13:28, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

..and who watches the watchmen??

How Juvenal. :) But really I would say Hanford, He has the keys to the Kingdom...

On 2009-01-27 15:12, bigbrotiki wrote:
......The only reason to lock this thread I see would be the (intentionally written so or not) incendiary, negativity provoking TITLE of it...

It's funny, but I just thought of another reason ! :)

Study Hawaiian History,

You can't have one without the other........

On 2009-02-02 16:34, vintagesurf wrote:
Study Hawaiian History,

You can't have one without the other........

..like peanut butter and jelly...they just go together..always have...always will and there's just no way around it......

What the f... is that supposed to mean, Dave! Are you saying that YOU, a Tiki veteran, are buying into the confused rhetoric that is ignorantly perpetuated by this thread, too? The, let's call it "limited" mindset that is incapable of understanding that, while Hawaii certainly is an important influence and part of Tiki Style, the two are DIFFERENT? And that the FOCUS of a forum called Tiki Central is logically on Tiki Style, NOT Hawaiiana? .....sigh, BIG sigh.

K
KuKu posted on Mon, Feb 2, 2009 7:24 PM

On 2009-02-02 19:08, bigbrotiki wrote:
incapable of understanding

sigh, BIG sigh.

while I normally don't like to lock topics I've posted to myself, I'm going to lock this one.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 223 replies