Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Haida Totem Pole Carving

Pages: 1 3 replies

Hey all,
Found this Canadian Film board site with lots of great films, this one about carving Haida Totem poles is well worth the 27 minutes time to watch. 30 or more ft. totems carved from cedar by Bill Reid & others, along with some history & carving footage & mana. I also watched another film about Pacific coast native people trying to get a funeral totem pole (about 40' tall) that was taken from their village and brought to a museum in Sweden in 1929. Pretty interesting. Lots of good carving shots & cultural info.
http://www.nfb.ca/film/bill_reid/

[ Edited by: drgoat456 2009-01-23 11:18 ]

[ Edited by: drgoat456 2009-01-23 11:27 ]

K
kirby posted on Fri, Jan 23, 2009 1:05 PM

cool thanx for posting..
I wish i could get some of those tools he was useing...

B

Excellent post Dr Goat Amazing talent that guy has both in wood and precious metals. Pure Pacific coastal art at it's finest and you have given us a look into how it's done,Thanks.
HERE is a link to a man who makes tools for the Indian woodcarvers if interested.

My pleasure Benz & Kirby
While watching this one and the one about the G'pxgolox funeral pole (link on the same page as the Bill Reid film), it struck me, being very familiar with Navaho & Hopi peoples here in Az. and their art & manner, that Pacific Coast people have traits in common with both them and Polynesian (Tiki) folk.
Loved seeing work being done on the Totems, very inspiring.

Pages: 1 3 replies