Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

50th Anniversary of Hawaiian Statehood this year!

Pages: 1 14 replies

Since we have our first " Hawaiian" president now (sort of), I want to make this an open thread for this momentous event. I realize that statehood is not met with the same naive idealism today than it was 50 years ago, and that for native Hawaiians it is a sensitive issue. I quote:

"Keiki/Kupuna
The golden anniversary, the golden jubilee, the semi centennial: fifty years marking the span of time observed across generations; embraced as a once-in-a-lifetime occasion, the half century is a moment of both introspection and auspicious celebration.
Marking fifty years of Hawaii statehood, 2009 is the first milestone in which a mature understanding of our civic and personal achievements can be presented as U.S. citizens, afforded with the full rights and protections guaranteed under our Constitution. Those who had been there, having participated or witnessed the change from territory to state, can now, with the hindsight of the last half-century, soberly reflect upon the benefits or disadvantages of statehood."
(from http://statehoodhawaii.com/index.html )

But for me, as a pop culture historian and mainland Tiki culture researcher, looking back at its impact 50 years ago, I believe the advent of Hawaii becoming a U.S. state was very important to the flourishing of Tiki Style here on the continent. I am constantly reminded by my findings that the heyday of Tiki started in the very late 1950s, and was over by the mid-60s. I now believe that it was no coincidence that the date of statehood, 1959, coincides with the biggest push by mainland developers to build Polynesian apartment buildings, motels and bowling alleys in many cities in the US --a move that for me defines the "maturing" of Tiki style from mere restaurant and bar culture into a viable design genre.

I welcome all urban archeologists and Tiki hunters to share their opinion on this theory, and also any news on the state of the statehood's 50th anniversary in general.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-07-31 12:14 ]

T

(Hanford, if this is deemed "too political" for TC, please let me know and I'll remove it) :)

Do you have your TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA CD YET ?
http://www.myspace.com/tikiyaki
http://www.tikiyakiorchestra.com

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2009-01-23 16:25 ]

T

On 2009-01-23 16:16, bigbrotiki wrote:

But as a pop culture historian, looking back at its impact 50 years ago, I believe the advent of Hawaii becoming a U.S. state was very important to the flourishing of Tiki Style. I am constantly reminded by my findings that the heyday of Tiki started in the very late 1950s, and was over by the mid-60s. I now believe that it was no coincidence that the date of statehood, 1959, coincides with the biggest push by mainland developers to build Polynesian apartment buildings, motels and bowling alleys in many cities in the US --a move that for me defines the "maturing" of Tiki style from mere restaurant and bar culture into a viable design genre.

I welcome all urban archeologists and Tiki hunters to share their opinion on this theory, and also any news on the state of the statehood's 50th anniversary in general.

I 100% agree, adding the obvious that the advent of jet air travel made Hawaii a popular destination, adding to the popularity of Hawaii and all things Hawaiian on the mainland.

8T
K
KuKu posted on Wed, Jan 28, 2009 4:32 PM

Hail to Hawaii 50 and da new Chief...

I think everyone reading this is searching for a piece of paradise however that translates to them. For those that live in Hawaii and witness the beauty on a daily basis realize the aina must be respected and protected. "Aloha" as a lei is placed around your neck, "Mahalo" as you get a shave ice at Matsumotos, the true essence of Hawaii cannot be summed up in words. A state of mind, a way of life, the smell of plumerias that have dropped on the sidewalk, a plate lunch, a way of speaking. Hawaiian is a bloodline, Hawaii is a life source and living there is a rite of passage. The duality of existing in Hawaii and living in Hawaii is complex and simple at the same time which a visitor can easily misinterpret. I would definately be a less evolved person if i hadn't lived in Hawaii. I always have that experience to reflect on and that inner sanctuary to resort to when the bullshit piles up. Hawaii teaches you that serenity is precedent and if you want to be agro a beat down or a set wave will put you in your place. The person that you perceived as yourself seems to digress and a rebirth occurs. I feel fortunate to have called Hawaii home but can only sympathize with the native Hawaiians struggles and witnessing the carpet being pulled from under them. My screen saver is Obama throwing up da shaka on inauguration day and the smile on his face is so bonafide that you have to smile with him and that's the contagious gift that Hawaii will always give.

P

Nice thoughts.

Hawai'i is also exploding mountains, crazy jealous demi-gods, gorgeous half-naked island girls shimmying like palms in a hurricane, oh yeah... and hurricanes, hangovers from hell, face-planting into lava from crushing waves, sea urchin stings, shark bites and rain every single day.

sigh

Wish I was there right now.

K
KuKu posted on Thu, Jan 29, 2009 12:38 PM

On 2009-01-29 12:13, pablus wrote:
Nice thoughts.

Hawai'i is also rain every single day.

no rain, no rainbows...

Ah, celebrating 50 years of oppression of the akamaiina and Ali'i by the
a-haole. (at least, that is how my Hawaii-raised friends might see it).

Otherwise, I love Hawaii and wish I could go there soon. (sigh)

May the power of Tiki compel you!

[ Edited by: dangergirl299 2009-01-30 09:57 ]

Yup. And here is some fascinating literature to brush up on all that other fun stuff, too! :

As I mentioned above, the "gifts of civilization" are a sensitive issue --not only pertaining to Hawaii and Polynesia, but many other cultures in this world. The burgeoning awareness of these played a big role in the disapperance of Tiki style.

What I am more interested in is the effect that the event of statehood had on the flowering of mainland Tiki style. I was recently talking to a collector friend who asked me "Do you have any concrete mention in mid-century media about the onset of Tiki style", like in trade papers. He used the example of the impact of the building of Disneyland, which practically "invented" and fostered amusement parks all over the country.

This made me again realize that the fact that Tiki's heyday happened from the late 50s to the mid-60s uncannily parallels Hawaiian statehood. The construction of Tiki apartments, motels and bowling alleys jumped noticeably AFTER 1959. So I am looking for trade or lifestyle magazines that DIRECTLY refer to the event of Hawaiian statehood in their descriptions of their Tiki developments. Below are some examples of the kind of articles I mean:

Now the above article does not mention Hawaii specifically, but the next one from 1962 does...(yet not statehood!):

Now that this momentous event has come up again, how about it folks? Don't let the negative "Gifts of Civilization" thing scare you off. As important as it is to reflect on and be conscious of these things, the focus of this board is on the effect that the projection of the "Hawaiian Paradise" had on generations of Americans, and how it culminated in Tiki style, BEFORE it all crashed gloriously. :)

T
twitch posted on Sat, Aug 1, 2009 7:48 PM

There was a veritable flood of Hawaiian-related music albums released after statehood. Many native Hawaiian artists as well as mainlander musicians released LP's indicative of the islands, and a lot of cash-ins eventually followed...
A few examples from my own shelf:

...all albums released in the years 1959-1961.

[ Edited by: twitch 2009-08-01 19:50 ]

Nice eye candy, and a very good point, never thought of checking the dates on Hawaiian albums! I actually would have pegged most of these to be "50s". Wonder how many of those great albums that Kaiwaza and PTD posted in "Show us your record collection" fall into that period. It'll be less clean cut than Tiki temples being built, the Hawaiain music craze started in the 20s and lasted thru the 70s, but still, there might be a notable spike from '59 to the mid-60s.

Yes, I agree Hawaiian statehood in 1959 was of supreme significance to the spread of tikidom.
The Exotic Sounds Of Martin Denny had a US number 1 album in 1959 with Exotica. One of the tracks, "Quiet Village", a 1951 Les Baxter composition, also made the Top 5.

Oh, and I was born the same year...

Pages: 1 14 replies