Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

WANTED Trader Vic Matchbooks WANTED & Some History!

Pages: 1 24 replies

T

WANTED!! PLEASE HELP A BROTHER OUT!!

Aloha all!

Just wanted to know if anyone had Trader Vic Matchbooks either for sale or trade???
I know you're probably thinking "Who doesn't??".
I am SPECIFICALLY looking for the earlier style, but can be newer issues, but they have to be of this design:

I can't really use any of the others that you see but only the ones with these RED/WHITE stripes. If they happen to be newer or current ones, that's okay, but I am only looking for ones with a BLACK background as above. THEY DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE MATCHES OR BE COMPLETE. JUST THE COVER IS FINE!

Not like this one:

New one from the London location.

And not like these:

Older ones from Seattle and San Francisco

I am trying to stay away from these types and only get ones with the black back grounds on them.

I know this is a bit anal, but I am trying to do a piece for a Trader Vic display that I am doing. I would need them all to be the same style. These ones traditionally measure about 2" wide. There were smaller ones issued that were about 1.25-1.50" wide which are a bit too small to use.

I thought it might also be cool to try to get a list going of all the different locations and see which ones issued what.

It might also be good to try and answer a few questions.

Like these:

• Did the Waikiki Trader Vic location have these types of matchbooks??
    I have seen a few other designs they had but did they have this style??

• Did the San Francisco location have it's OWN matchbook??
    I have only seen them with the Oakland/Emeryville address on them.

• Did Oakland/Emeryville have their own with just THEIR address on them??

• Did new locations, like anything that opened after 1986 use these style of matchbooks??

It might be good to answer a few of these questions and I am probably not the only nut that might be a little bit interested in this. Am I??

Thanks for any help and I look forward to hearing your comments and maybe tracking down a few.
Thanks alot, TabooDan

[ Edited by: TabooDan 2009-01-25 18:25 ]

T

I guess to make it a bit easier, I have these:

The Plaza, New York, N.Y.
Bel Air East, St.Louis, Mo.
Palmer House, Chicago, IL.
Shamrock Hilton, Dallas, Tx.
Statler Hilton, Washington, D.C.
Statler Hilton, Boston, Mass.
Benson Hotel, Portland, Or.
Habana Hilton, Cuba

I am looking for these (And any more you might come across):

Hilton Beverly Hills
Hilton London, England
Munich, Germany
Scotsdale, Arizona (Old location on 5th, I think)
Atlanta, Georgia
Bayshore Inn, Vancouver, CAN
Westin Seattle, Washington

Thanks for any help!!
TabooDan

[ Edited by: TabooDan 2009-01-25 13:24 ]

T

Oh yeh, this doesn't have to be just my post (Although I am asking for ones I don't have!)! If anyone else has others from Trader Vics that they are looking for, this might be a good post to put your wants.

Some of us might have more of the ones we have and not list that we have these so it might be good to see what everyone is looking for!

Mahalo, TabooDan

[ Edited by: TabooDan 2009-01-24 18:42 ]

[ Edited by: surfalaia 2009-08-05 07:18 ]

Hey Surfalala, thanks!! I will email you!
They don't have to have matches in them. They can just be the covers.

Much Mahalos!!
TabooDan

On 2009-01-24 18:28, TabooDan wrote:
There were smaller ones issued that were about 1.25-1.50" wide which are a bit too small to use.

I thought it might also be cool to try to get a list going of all the different locations and see which ones issued what.

Unfortunately, my version of the Beverly Hilton one like you want is the skinny version:

Too bad :(

The Hotel New Otani Trader Vic's in Japan has a boxed version:

Something doesn't seem quite right to me about the address or the phone number printed on this????

San Francisco/Emeryville Menehunes version:

Buzzy Out!

T

Hey Buzzy, Cool, thanks for the shots! That boxed Japan one is cool! Don't see too many Vic boxed ones around. Kind of interesting like you said.

It almost makes a couple more questions though doesn't it?

• Like did the Osaka location use the old style matchbooks or just the boxes? This location opened in 1986.

I have the Hilton one as well and it too, like yours above, is the smaller sized one.

• Did the Beverly Hills one use the size like all the others or only the smaller ones?? Anybody got one they can tell us about?? This location was an earlier one and opened in 1955. Surely they used the regular ones like the other locations.

I have been collecting for a while so I do have quite a few and have seen lots so these questions, I think, are pretty good.

Here's a couple more covers:

This one, white in color, is like Buzzy's Menehune San Francisco location but it is for the Vancouver and Toronto locations.
The only two locations that Trader Vic ever opened in Canada.

The one above is another Menehune one, beige in color, and was only for the Vancouver location. I believe this is the later cover that was still used up until Trader Vics closed it's doors.

Here is a seldom seen Bayshore Inn matchbook that was from Western Hotels and features the Trader Vic logo:

That's it for now.
Please keep them coming so we can try and narrow down a few of these questions.
Thanks alot!!

TabooDan

Well, I've got one from the Hotel Valley Ho, Scottsdale...

Taboo,I will check my collection.I have almost every matchbook that Trader
Vics ever did.

I don't think this is going to help you, but here it is anyway.

T

Thanks guys!! Please keep them coming!
The Arizona one has the white backing......Hmmm, wonder if there is a black? The older location on 5th St., that was the first Vics in Arizona. It is now a mall I think but you can still see the shape of the old cool roof. This new one that opened in 2006 will probably only have the white as it seems all new matches have the white backings.

I think I may have to suck it up and use white ones if I don't get too many responses on here. At least the whites ones seem to be popping up.

Hey Silverline, No, that's bang on! It does have the black backing. Would that one happen to be 2" wide??

I wonder if the makers of these are different in terms of the black/white backing?
What you guys got?? Actually, just going through mine as I write this and I have black and white backings by the same companies. There goes that theory.

The only thing that tends to be the same is the majority of older locations, that have the old phone numbers on them (forget the year it changed) Example: CAPITAL 8-9611, seem to be the black background and the 2" size. Except so far Beverly Hills.

What does all this mean....... probably absolutely nothing! LOL!!

Please keep them coming!!
Mahalo, TabooDan

Oh Silverline you beat me too it! I have Kansas City as well.

Mr. LDT

On 2009-01-26 16:15, TabooDan wrote:
Hey Silverline, No, that's bang on! It does have the black backing. Would that one happen to be 2" wide??

No, that's the thing. It's only 1.5 wide. All these differences may mean they were made by various companies. Who knows.

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Jan 27, 2009 9:40 AM

Taboo Dan, not what you are asking for but cool anyway:

Berlin

R

aloha- check e-bay listing #390026385651 for listing of two oakland/sanfrancisco
matchbook covers--i think these are the type you are looking for

PM me if you need the Oakland/San Fran one...

TabooDan,

I have one of the skinny ones from Beverly Hills - is that the kind you are looking for??

Here are a few from my collection.

Beverly Hills

Hotel Benson, Oregon

An old one from Oakland.

DC

CJ

I love matchbooks and have a nice collection as well. Hopefully there will be some at the new Trader Vic's in Los Angeles.

T

On 2009-01-27 09:40, Zeta wrote:
Taboo Dan, not what you are asking for but cool anyway:

Berlin

Hey Zeta, thanks for the pic!! That's a cool one! One of the elusive German books and a variation of the Menehues!! Thanks!!
I know Berlin opened in April of 2003.
I wonder if this is the only style they did?

On 2009-01-28 08:49, ron-tiki wrote:
aloha- check e-bay listing #390026385651 for listing of two oakland/sanfrancisco
matchbook covers--i think these are the type you are looking for

Hey Ronitiki, Thanks for the Ebay Link.
These are the right matchbooks but have already been able to find this one.
So I guess the question relating to this matchbook again is:

• Does anyone have this matchbook where these two locations are seperate? That is a different matchbook for each one?

That's an awesome Seattle one Tiki Shaker and DC's very old Oakland one is cool!!

Great job on here showing all the different books!!
Keep them coming!
Thanks, TabooDan

[ Edited by: TabooDan 2009-01-28 19:28 ]

T

Okay, just to make sure it's easy to figure out, I am specifically looking for:

Matchbooks, with or without matches, that have the BLACK back grounds and the white/red stripes on them.
I am also trying to keep them the all the same at 2" width.
It seems like only a few locations had the 1.50" width. (I may have to give up on this and decide to use a few of these as it looks like maybe all there is from these locations.)

Doesn't matter if they are old or new just so they are like the above description.

Some of the locations I am still looking for are:

Hilton Beverly Hills
Hilton London, England
Munich, Germany
Scottsdale, Arizona (Old location on 5th, I think)
Atlanta, Georgia
Bayshore Inn, Vancouver, Canada
Westin Seattle, Washington

Thanks again for all your help and the additions to this thread. It is neat to see all the different ones they did together here.

Mahalo, TabooDan

hese are 2 I pm'd you about

sorry for the blur scan

On 2009-01-28 17:42, Dustycajun wrote:
An old one from Oakland.

DC

Compare these images from an old matchbook from the TV in Honolulu. Interesting, the front and back covers from the Oakland matchbook were combined into one and some foliage was added. Wha-la, Oakland in Hawaii!

DC

T

Here are a few more just to make this thread nice and complete:

Buzzy Out!

from CANADA

Pages: 1 24 replies