Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Museum Tikis from New Zealand

Pages: 1 9 replies

I just got back to Honolulu from my other home, Turangi, New Zealand, where, aside from fly fishing almost daily for 2 months, I had occasion to visit the Auckland Museum, and took some great photos of NZ Maori tikis. I thought all you Tiki lovers might like to see some of their vast collection, and stunning displays. There is a small ivory Tiki pendant, a large collection of greenstone tikis, and two pics of the famous Kaitaia Lintel, dug out of swamp mud. I have a quicky replica I carved of this over my backyard gate in Turangi. Enjoy, Louie the Fish! (www.louiethefish.com)

B

Right on Brother Louie,

brilliant!!!

thanks for posting the shots!

did u get shots of all that groovy stuff in the background!?!?!?

post pleeeeeeeeease!

alohas, bT

B

Big Thanks Big Louie, Much Appreciated. To you those examples are probably fairly "Ho Humm" by now but to us Yanks who Never see the Real stuff, those shots are like Pure gold and we cherish every one. Next time you are there if you could get another few HUNDRED :o of those we could fry our eyes looking at some of the most beautiful stuff in the world!

fly fishing for 2 months?!?!@?!? where are the photos of the fish? oh yeah the photos of the museum are wonderful.

bd

I have a house and citizenship in New Zealand. My house is a ten minute walk to the Tongariro river, and an easy drive to Lake Otamangakau and many other great fishing spots. As I was a guide there for 20 years, I know all the good spots and how to fish them. I keep 220 power carving tools at my house there, so I could whittle a carving or two then go off fishing. This is my retirement plan.
My biggest brown this trip was 10 pounds, biggest rainbow over 8, but in the past I have landed browns on wet fly up to 17 pounds, and on dry fly up to 14, and rainbows just as big, all within minutes of my house. Anyone heading to NZ just email me, and I can give you some pointers. Right now is a great chance, as its summer there, the dollar is almost 2 for 1, and the airfares are down!
Tightlines, Louie

S

Nice, now where talking i have heard NZ is a great spot for the
trout fishing.

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Jan 28, 2009 5:19 PM

Thank you Louie! Those are pretty little pieces. Nice fish too! You and I should share fish stories one day.......

Ahhhhhhhhhh my man Louie! It's nice to see what you're up to. YOU ARE LIVIN THE DREAM!
I might have to come see you NEXT winter. Money is spoken for this winter...what little I have!
Only 220?
Thanx for the update.
Tight Lines!

T

Hi Louie, I might take you up on the fishing spots. My wife is a KIWI, and we are trying to plan the move from Az to New zealand Hawks Bay. We are planning that within a year or so that we can don this, but plan to come out to see famialy soon. Its so beautiful there! thanks tikibad aka scott woodward

Very nice trout Louie.I do a bit of the fly fishing too.....although my fish are never as big as those!
Going out again this Friday as it's Waitangi day.Will send you pics if you like....

Pages: 1 9 replies