Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Hooks, Fish and Clam by Louie the Fish!

Pages: 1 4 replies

Aloha Ya'll out there in Tikiland! I just got back a week ago from 2 and 1/2 months in New Zealand, land of many tikis! Here are some things I carved this past week in Honolulu, and a Pearl shell Napoleon Wrasse I carved for actress Daryl Hannah (Mermaid) while at my house in Turangi, New Zealand. She is very Eco-active, and loves diving in the tropics. There are three hooks, black jade, black pearl shell and ivory, with a humpback whale pendant also. Also pictured is my only semi-erotic carving. After living over 30 years in places like Fiji, Samoa and Tonga, I picked up a bit of slang knowledge. These islanders use euphamisms to describe many things, and men, when joking about romantic affairs, often use shellfish to describe certain female features. In Fiji, guys joke about who got the Kaikoso (small river clam) or the Vasuva (Giant clam), so after hearing these jokes for 3 decades, I came up with this two sided, almost anatomically correct, "Bearded Clam" carving, and its been equally popular with both guys and gals!!
Later, Louie

B

Hey Louie,

This is some really wonderful work. Just Exceptional. The Two Bearded Clam is my favorite of course...I hope some of those guys over in the carving area of TC get over here to the other crafts area of TC to see this stuff.

Bravo!

Hell yeah Louie. Nice clam there.

Speechless... nice clean line, awesome designs. I love the clam too.

Of course, the clam is great but I love the wrasse. I have to admit, I'm like most Americans - I assume the rest of the world speaks English and uses the almighty American Dollar, so that 2 dollar coin gives me no point of reference :lol:

Pages: 1 4 replies