Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Texas Tikiphiles III - Sat., April 4th @ Dallas Trader Vic's

Pages: 1 37 replies

K

WHAT: Texas Tikiphiles III
WHEN: Saturday, April 4th, 6pm –until??
WHERE: Trader Vic’s - Mockingbird Lane & 75/Central Expressway – Dallas, TX

OK all you so-called TX tiki people…NOW is the time to come out of the closet! Time to make yourself known and be part of the community. Time to mingle with other like-minded folks. Knowledge gained, friendships forged, many Navy Grogs consumed…

For too long, most the TX tiki community has been hiding in it’s armadillo shell, afraid of what weirdness may lurk in the minds of these so-called “tikiphiles” who converse regularly on the interwebs…or maybe it’s because the suffix “-phile” conjures up some sort of freakish fascination with tiki. All true, I’m afraid. And if you’re reading this chances are you’re no different.

In the past we’ve had raffles and giveaways, we got to see the original Barney West moai that used to be out front, we got to take away truckloads of extra bamboo and other pieces of unused décor, and as I recall we were the first to require Trader Vic’s send out furniture to be cleaned after our party. But most importantly, we got to know other tikiphiles….and not just the ones who live in Texas. So saddle up and join the party!

So what’s in store for this year? Unfortunately, the Barney West moai and all that extra bamboo are long gone. BUT…

If you never got a chance to grab a Dallas Star glass before they sold out, we’ll have some available at a very special price. Not to mention BRAND NEW unused cocktail menus.

TIKI RAFFLE!! You might get lucky and be the first on your block to own a genuine Big Lot’s tiki mug! Seriously, there will be some good stuff too. Lot’s of it.

Come a little early and take advantage of $5.00 Mai Tai’s and Zombies until 7pm!

The lounge area will be our primary area of occupancy. Drinks, appetizers & dinner are all available there. If you’d rather eat in the dining room away from all the mayhem, a reservation is recommended.

Is this event ONLY for Texans? HELL NO!

If you’re interested in seeing an often overlooked Trader Vic’s done in the classic style, Dallas is the one to visit. You can see pics of the restaurant here. I’ve met several Trader Vic’s/tiki aficionados that made a special trip to Dallas to see this Trader Vic’s. They’ll all tell you it’s worth the trip and a MUST SEE.

Coming from out of town? Trader Vic’s is located at the Hotel Palomar, which is a really nice ultra-swanky place to spend the night, but some may find it not quite within their budget. There are plenty of other hotels to choose from. Here are just a few...all of these are on 75/Central Expressway north of Trader Vic’s and all less than 5 miles away.

Radisson – this is the closest hotel to Trader Vic’s.

Courtyard Marriott

Residence Inn

La Quinta Inn

Hyatt Summerfield Suites

Oh, one more thing, IF you plan on attending…posting a note here, a PM or an email to [email protected] would be very much appreciated. Trader Vic’s appreciates being kept informed of how big a crowd to expect.

Got questions? ASK!!

[ Edited by: Kenike 2009-02-02 06:38 ]

So far so good for Tropical_Icebergs...Unless our plans change unexpectedly....you may count two Tropical_Icerbergs among those planning on attending....

... and a Lizard or two.

GK

Done! I will be there!

GK

K

Yippeee! I'm in!

B

The wife and I will be there.

K

Thanks everyone for your replies and emails. This is shaping up to be a fun evening!

I too am in!!! Hopefully I won't be on-call!!

SO there!
:)

AND, for any Texas reading this, I will also be at TV's this Friday (Feb. 13). Grande Kahu and both plan to hit there around 9:30, so anyone wanting a non-Valentine evening out this weekend, come join us!

My wahine and I are planning on coming. So count us for 2.
Do we need to bring anything for a swap/raffle?

K

On 2009-02-13 09:51, Unkle John wrote:
My wahine and I are planning on coming. So count us for 2.
Do we need to bring anything for a swap/raffle?

Glad you guys are coming!

We've got the raffle covered, but if anyone chooses to add anything to it that's perfectly fine.

Never been to one of these! I plan on coming and bringing the boyfriend :)

K

On 2009-02-18 14:02, TxTikiGirl wrote:
Never been to one of these! I plan on coming and bringing the boyfriend :)

Fantastic! Looks like it's going to be a great crowd!

UJ

Awesome!
Are we just going to stay in the bar area and let the first timers explore?

K
Kenike posted on Tue, Mar 3, 2009 7:39 PM

On 2009-03-03 08:23, Unkle John wrote:
Awesome!
Are we just going to stay in the bar area and let the first timers explore?

Yup.

Exploring is mandatory for EVERYONE.

There seem to be a few to shy to reply...we are still missing comments from a few of last years attendees...speak up, don't be shy....you know who you are...and so do we...

K

On 2009-03-10 12:32, Tropical_Icebergs wrote:
There seem to be a few to shy to reply...we are still missing comments from a few of last years attendees...speak up, don't be shy....you know who you are...and so do we...

Some folks from previous years have contacted me directly to let me know to expect them, so it should be a good crowd. BUT...there are plenty of other folks that live IN DALLAS that so far have been avoiding the community in general. I've met a few at Trader Vic's and have sent them emails to let them know about our gatherings in an effort to try to build the local tiki community. We DO have the only "real" tiki establishment in the state. It would be great if we could have local gatherings more often.

There are folks coming from Austin, Houston, San Antonio, Lubbock...it's not for locals only. I encourage anyone who can get here for one night to do it. In addition to getting to know others that have the same mania as us, it would be great to show Dallas Trader Vic's that they can count on our support in these tough economic times.

See everyone on the 4th! Update coming soon!

H

Just booked our flight and hotel! The cost of this trip makes my gut clench a little, but I've put this off for far too long, I NEED to see the Dallas Trader Vic's (plus, the prices are actually lower right now than they've been in the past). We get in kinda late Friday night (9 or 10pm), and we leave Sunday afternoon.

Can't wait to see the Vic's, and to see all you guys!

K

On 2009-03-10 14:37, Humuhumu wrote:
Just booked our flight and hotel! The cost of this trip makes my gut clench a little, but I've put this off for far too long, I NEED to see the Dallas Trader Vic's (plus, the prices are actually lower right now than they've been in the past). We get in kinda late Friday night (9 or 10pm), and we leave Sunday afternoon.

Can't wait to see the Vic's, and to see all you guys!

Fabuloso! Great that you're making the trip...I promise you won't regret it.

Heya, I’ll show up and I promise to bring these legs with me!

FYI - we're going thrifty and staying at La Quinta.

[ Edited by: Kilikopela 2009-03-14 20:27 ]

K

On 2009-03-14 20:01, Kilikopela wrote:
FYI - we're going thrifty and staying at La Quinta.
[ Edited by: Kilikopela 2009-03-14 20:27 ]

La Quinta seems to be the hotel of choice. Sounds like they're running some good deals.

Here's the update I emailed to everyone on the TX Tiki mailing list:

They're coming from near and far, San Antonio, Houston, Austin, Lubbock...even California!

Trader Vic's is ready for us...we've requested extra Menehunes.

The raffle pile is growing bigger every day...

Babysitters are booked...

Based on the RSVP's received so far, this gathering will be the biggest yet! It's rumored that area hotels are running some super deals, too.

Are YOU coming? Still not sure?

These are tight times and no one wants to spend more money than they have to. Even Trader Vic's is feeling the pinch. Think about it like this...it's ONLY once per year, and you'll be supporting the ONLY "real" tiki bar in the state.

Here's a few more reasons to come:

$5.00 Mai Tai's and Zombies 4-7pm

Trader Vic's has an overstock of drink menus and a few Dallas Star glasses and wine glasses that are being sold CHEAP.

Kenike and a few others have collected a PILE of tiki items that are going to be raffled off!

Mingle with other like-minded tikiphiles!

See for yourself a classic tiki establishment filled with artifacts from the classic tiki period. Most of what you'll find inside Dallas Trader Vic's has been there for over 40 years.

Come have a drink with us! Trader Vic's will appreciate it and you might even make some new best friends.

K

On 2009-03-14 20:01, Kilikopela wrote:
Heya, I’ll show up and I promise to bring these legs with me!

Woowee! You crazy kids!

Can't wait to see everyone. La Quinta has the deal for sure at $53/nt. Those of us staying there ought to think about carpooling/cabbing it together to TV.

Two weeks. I can't wait to see everybody! (Which is just my little way of saying, "bump".)

Woohoo! I can't wait, it has been so long since I've been there it will be like the first time all over again. Anyway, since I, uh, don't remember much of the last Tikiphile Gathering we went to, it will be like the first time for that all over again too! I know I went because I have my raffle goodies right here on the wall by my desk. I definitely remember some of you and see you are coming again, that is so cool! I am already planning what food and drinks to order... Two weeks to go!
Suzanne

Damn, Brit - them legs (and you) is lookin' FINE, grrrrllll!!

Can't WAIT, y'all! The only difficulty is deciding between the Shaheen and the Peggy Wood. Both are astoundamundo. And unlike VLV, I can't quite justify doing an outfit change mid-event, the way I understand many of the BPW's (Bettie Page Wannabe's) do in Vegas.

Or maybe I can....

Hasta pronto, Texas Tikiphiles!
And Humuhumu, I'm beyond excited that you're coming, girl!!
F

K

This is going to be SUCH a great time.

Trader Vic's is promising a few surprises too!

B

Kenike, I will be bringing two more guests.

H

Heading for the airport in just a bit... can't wait to get to Dallas and see everybody! We're staying at the La Quinta (the one north of the Vic's, at 10001 Central Expressway). We don't have any plans during the day tomorrow, I'd be up to doing some exploring if anyone will be around.

K

Humu and all,
I'm getting in mid-afternoon to the LaQuinta. At about 4:45 I'm pouring myself a Painkiller, and I'm bringing enough to share. So if any other folks at the LQ would like a drink to sip while they are getting ready, call my room. I'll be checked in under J. Perkins. After the Painkillers we can break out Kenike's rum I am bringing him.
(just kidding Kenike)

Aloha until tomorrow

[ Edited by: koitiki 2009-04-04 06:30 ]

K

I think I'd call it a success...

BIG thanks to everyone that came...I know some people drove LONG distances to get here, others flew. It's all much appreciated and I certainly hope it was all worth it. I'd bet it was!

30+ people makes this our biggest gathering yet!

Also, a BIG thanks to everyone who donated items for the raffle. I think everyone left with something. I couldn't believe some of the items that were donated. Lots of fun stuff but GOOD stuff too. One person went home with a 1975 Trader Vic's drink menu, someone else left with a smuggled bottle of Havana Club!

Let's hope we can do this again next year. With the changes they are putting in place at this location and an uncertain economy, who knows what the state of Trader Vic's will be, or even if they'll still be there. The important thing is that we were there to enjoy it. Those of you who wanted to come but couldn't, I'd say go experience it NOW while you can.

Okay, lets see some PICTURES! I took some but I'm still doing some editing, plus I need to get permission from any ladies I took pics of because I always get in trouble for posting the wrong thing.

haha! What a wise man, Dennis!
Just as long as I look slender and beautiful in all of them, go for it.

You may have to do some retouching.....

Ok, a LOT

Seriously, i had SO much fun and want pics too!! We really did come from all directions there! Lubbock, McKinney (and Dallas, of course), Houston (and temporary Kerrville), Austin, San Antonio - what other Texas spots am I leaving out? (No Laredo? Nacogdoches?)
Not to mention San Francisco! Hooray fro Humu and Rich for making the trip! It was truly a pleasure getting to have you both there.

Gotta have a gathering in other cities now. Houston home bars and San Antone home bars were both mentioned. And looking forward to Austin again :) :)

Thanks, Kenike, for all your hard work pulling it together! You rock.
F

UJ

I want to thank Dennis for putting together yet another awesome evening. It was great to see old faces and meet new ones. I hope we can continue this next year. Here's looking forward to Austin this summer. Cheers!

Texas Tikiphiles Unite!

[ Edited by: Unkle John 2009-04-07 08:53 ]

GK

Yes, another thank YOU to Kenike! A grand time was had and we showed them wedding party types real dedication. To Mai Tais, that is...and Zombies, and Navy Grog, and, uh...whatever came next.

Until the drums call again!

GK

K

Fun fun time! Great seeing some old friends and meeting some new ones. Here are a few pics.

Kenike and lovely wife Eva

Formikahini and Grande Kahu

Brian, Amelia and Rich

Humuhumu and Formika

Michelle, Halse, Sherri and Kilakopela

Hulacat, Brittanie, Castlehune and Dobrolic

Julie, Unkle John, me and Hulacat

Angelica with the world's longest straw

Mahalo Kenike and everyone!

[ Edited by: Koitiki 2009-04-20 15:52 ]

Here's another pic of Angelica building the "super straw"
Had a great time at my first Tikiphile event!
I didn't get to meet everyone - will have to make better rounds next time!

H

We had the most wonderful time! The Dallas Trader Vic's is just gorgeous. It was such a treat to get to meet and re-meet so many fine folks; as expected, the Texas gang of tikiphiles are wonderful people to spend an evening with. Mahalo nui loa to Kenike for making it all happen, and to all the generous donors of raffle items, and to the Dallas Trader Vic's for taking such good care of us.

I don't have any event pics, really, but I did take lots of pictures of the Dallas Trader Vic's:

:up: My Dr. Funk's Son, served in an ice volcano (with flaming lime garnish!)

:up: The bar at Trader Vic's

:up: The hostess stand

:up: One of the booths in the dining room

:up: The main dining room

:up: I loved these cool divider screen tiles -- I'd never seen ones like these, I'd only seen the ceramic ones (these are metal)

:up: The back dining room

:up: The private dining room

:up: The entry hallway

There are LOTS more pictures on Critiki: Trader Vic's, Dallas

Our thanks to Kenike, too. This was the best of the Texas Tikiphile Trader Vic's gatherings, yet. What a turn-out! Monica said she enjoyed herself immensely, laughing and talking to the Icebergs, Rumbuddy, et al.

The Tiki Puka Puka Trio:
Rumbuddy (pacing herself quite well), Monica, and Mrs. Tropical Iceberg

Mr. Tropical Iceberg, Grande Kahu, Formikahini, Humuhumu

Kenike, with Koitiki (Bringer of Faraway Elixirs)

Unkle John, overwhelmed by savage impulses, chomps the head of a tiki.

"The rum's the thing..."

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2009-04-08 16:12 ]

Got some more to share!

Bar View

Apparently I was the only one not taking part in using the "super straw"

I don't really remember what was in the coconut mug - but I really liked the mug!

Pages: 1 37 replies