Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Buffbad--Variation on a Theme

Pages: 1 26 replies

B

Somewhere in the vast files of Tiki Central was a picture of a Cannible Tiki catching his prey and then another of him consumming his prey. Well I felt the consuming the prey Tiki was rather tame so a variation of that theme came to mind. First here are some pics of the Tiki that was carved for a friend.

I felt that the cannible Tiki needed a touch of realism or shock factor to show that an act of canniblism was in progress.
More pics to come shortly. Buffbad

First of all I would like to give recognition to AlienTiki who carved the Tiki that I refered to (copied - shamelessly) in making this Tiki. The new project is a little macabe in that this Tiki will have the head forcebly removed before the cannible Tiki has his snack. I tried to avoid pictures of the above Tiki and just used the original pictures of AlienTiki's version in hopes that there would be a few variations. Well below are a few pics of the progress so far.

As you see the general idea but the head (a practice carving that my father carved many years ago) was not just right so I cut a quarter slice out of the same coconut blank that i was using and started carving.

I wanted to make the Tiki snack removable for easier carving and variations in placement in the mouth. As you can see the cannible snack has been carved and stained. The cannible Tiki is coming along too but lots of carving and sanding yet to come.

These pictures show a little more progress and lots of cracks are starting to appear as the coconut palm wood dries. I have been putting wood putty in the larger cracks. Soon it will be time for the stain. I will use the same stain as the tiki in the top of the story which is Provencial by Minwax.

Now the Tiki is stained and I have placed the Tiki snack in the mouth in several postions. The little Tiki snack was stained Golden Pecan made by Minwax. Last steps will be sealing the bottom and several coats of polyurathane.

Well that is it for now. More pics to come. So KEEP YOUR CHISELS SHARP AND YOUR BANDAIDS CLOSE. BUFFBAD

YAHOOOO!! Its finished. Two coats of polyurathane and a few added touches. I have made the Tiki snack removeable and put a tongue that can fold out. WOW !! First pics of the Tiki by my favorite pool.

I also put the orignal tiki next to the new one for comparison.

Close up of the mouth area showing the velcro that holds the Tiki snack in place. The tongue is made out of a thin piece of red colored leather.

__
Nice pool !!! GREAT BAR too !!!

Thats all for now. KEEP THOSE CHISELS SHARP AND YOUR BANDAIDS CLOSE. THANKS FOR LOOKING. BUFFBAD

[ Edited by: BUFFBAD 2009-02-12 13:32 ]

[ Edited by: BUFFBAD 2009-02-12 13:34 ]

I like it.

Very fitting!

BD

very very nice. really like the cannible.

bd

I think that is the coolest Tiki I have seen yet...I love the dark humour it evokes...good stain choice too :D, I like it when my Tiki's have cracks I think it gives them charachter...Im working on a peice of Oak right now (no palms over here in UK) and it has a 1/2 inch split at the back top to bottom, slightly worried it may split in two but hey it adds charahcter...

yes I defo like it...:P also very jealous of your carving skills...if only mine were so refined...:roll:

S

Nice work! you have put some time into this guy and it shows
The stain finish looks great.

Those are wonderful! I am a Monty Python's lover so the whole cannibal theme appeals to me anyway, but the craftsmanship you put into these two guys is just incredible.

Aloha!

Marcus

C

Love them! very cool!

L

bravo , very expressive!!!

B

B Bad, Those are some Mighty Fine pieces you have done, right down to the excellent finish. You will make friends in a hurry.

AHhhhhhhhhhh Cool! The grain in the wood really shows well with the finish. What a horrid little poolside scene!

A

Some people might be flattered, me I look at it as stealing from me. You never asked for permission to copy my work. I carve and sell my tikis to help feed my four kids. When you "shamelessly copy" what I designed it makes me reluctant to post any pictures of my work here at all. Ever since you stole my designs I've been selling my work locally and not posting it on Tiki central just to avoid copycats (aka Buffbad).

Needless to say, I am not as understanding as kirby and would like you to stop copying my work entirely.

Thanks

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Apr 7, 2009 5:51 AM

Hey Alien -

Are you kidding????

He made this one piece for a friend! This is in no way taking food out of your kids mouth!

And Alien - your own designs are completely unoriginal. Cannibal tikis are thousands of years old, so are the designs at the sides of the eyes, etc. There is a Tiki at the Bali Hai that Oceanic Arts did that looks very similar to this one. It's about 50 years old. Who cares?

I like the work he put into this.

And if you look up your copyright legalities, you'll see that you cannot copyright a style. Everything that is hand carved is an original work of art and therefore does not infringe copyright. I helped draft legislation in the 90's about exactly this type of thing.

So if you don't have anything positive to say, don't say it!

B
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.