Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

researching the Tiki Room

Pages: 1 2 replies

Hello all-

After a few weeks of checking out the website, I figured I should join. I am a graduate student and currently researching the Tiki Room at Disneyland. I am mainly focused on the music that is featured and the Tiki Room as a soundscape of post-war US. I have all of the songs and I know a lot of the history, however it is so difficult to track down any information about the recordings that were used for the original show.

I really need to get the LP, it is always on Ebay, but for some reason, I have not seen it lately, if anyone has a copy of the album, please let me know. Or at least please xerox the liner notes for me. Everything is so protected at Disney and the musicians from the studio are not even listed ---it is all Imagineeing lol.

Great to know a place like this exists! Please take care and write me back if you can point me in the right direction. Thank you- MA

T

I am far from being an expert on Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room, but maybe I can offer some information that will point you in other directions you can explore.

I'm sort of surprised that you are having difficulty in finding a copy of the album. A few years ago Disney made several of the classic Disneyland Records albums available on CDs on demand at Disneyland. (Not sure about the availability at Walt Disney World.) The Tiki Room album was one that you could get, but I'm not sure these are still available at the parks. (The B-Side, if you didn't already know, is Walt's narration of the Jungle Cruise.)

The most complete, commercially available recording I know of is "A Musical History of Disneyland", a 6-CD set that was released in 2005 in honor of Disneyland's 50th anniversary. It contains the barker bird's spiel, the complete pre-show with the tiki gods, and the entire Tiki Room show. I don't recall for sure if it has the Offenbach piece, but I think it does. It is otherwise basically the same thing from the album you're looking for but with remastered audio. The set is not as hard to find as Disney would like you to believe, so you shouldn't have trouble finding it.

You could look around the forums on MagicMusic.net, if you haven't discovered them already. Maybe someone there can help.

Last, but not least, have you seen this site?

http://www.extinct-attractions-club.com/

They have fan-made CDs and DVDs covering just about anything you can think of pertaining to Disneyland, including several about the Tiki Room:

http://01508f4.netsolstores.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=19

I don't have any of these myself, so I can't vouch for their quality. I hear they're pretty good, though.

Good luck!

[ Edited by: TimboTiki 2009-02-03 10:43 ]

I own the Extinct Attractions DVD which has a VERY detailed documentary of the show. I highly recommend it! And the 4 cd set of the tiki room music and sound efx isn't bad either. A few tracks sort of repeat themselves here and there, but overall very nice. Even has both soundtracks for the Dole pineapple film!

Pages: 1 2 replies